Wiper Arms

jeepmaster

im not sure whether this should be in the technical forum or not, but figured id post it here cause it'll be responded to sooner. i need to take the windshield wiper arms off and repaint them.. does anyone know how to get those suckers off?

older XJ's had a small tab down close to the base you could pull out aproxx 1/4 inch or so and you could pull the arm straight off the post. I dont imagine they have changed to much.

Pry that small tab up where the wiper arm attaches to the wiper shaft coming through the cowl. The wiper arm will then pull straight off.

ok didnt get it. i can get the tab to come out but they will not come off.. i hit them w. some liquid wrench and still nothing.. also how do get the back wiper off?

ive got an XJ joop i dont need the kit mine are already flush.. i just need to get the damn arms off so i can paint them.. im about to get some vice grips and just tear them off.. lol then i will need a kit

got them.. all 3. they were just a little stuck on there, a pair of vice grips and some jiggling took care of it. thanks guys

joop - how well does that rain X work?

jeepmaster said:
got them.. all 3. they were just a little stuck on there, a pair of vice grips and some jiggling took care of it. thanks guys

joop - how well does that rain X work?

I've used Rain-X for years on all of my vehicles, but I've never tried it on the Jeep. I thought the windshield would be too flat to work very well. On the Camry, with the low slanted windshield, I never used my wipers except when I was at a stoplight. That stuff is awesome!!!! So, Joop, how does it work on a flat, upright windshield?

I've used Rain-X for years on all of my vehicles, but I've never tried it on the Jeep.

Sorry, Sparky, it's called Rain-x, not "Mud-x"! :lol: :lol: :lol:

well i mostly got it for the inside of the windshield since my hardtop always leaks, but the front works good too. The rain swirls around and eventually finds it's way off the glass. Sure it works on a more "aero dynamic" vehicle... but it works on the sleek stylings of the YJ too!

yea it was pouring this morining and my XJ has no wipers on it. looks like its clearing up tho, im gonna go get some rain-x today. my windshield is pretty diff. than the wranglers so it should work find. how long does it last before you have to re-apply?

Depending on how much much and bugs I get on the windshield, I usually put it on once a month or so.....it really helps in the winter, also, with scraping the ice off. Best thing since sliced bread!!!

Make sure you clean the windshield off with alcohol before applying the rain-x, that will make it last longer, plus the less you use the actual wipers the longer it will last.

Back