boat question 455 olds

far_right

well, i have traded one headach for another... last week i bought a 74 jet boat witha 455 olds engine.

i took it out to the water the other day, and it ran fine for about 1.5 hours, i stop. float for a while 15-20 min. go back to start it and it starts, but a little hard. let it idle for a second, give it gas and it died. start it back up and same deal. start idle, give it gas then it dies. the third time it didnt start :roll: .

this has been confusing me i *dont* think it is the fuel pump. other than that im not sure... i need some help...
ooh btw... before it quit that joker would FLY :mrgreen:

Need more info , Check the normal stuff. Plugs in a marine engine are diffrent.
Is it a reverse rotation engine ? Is it a marine engine at all ?
Sounds like a fuel problem....Like not enough gas. So when you open the throttle Too much air causes it to stall. How did you get it back ?

Plugs in a marine engine are diffrent.
Is it a reverse rotation engine ? Is it a marine engine at all ?
Sounds like a fuel problem....Like not enough gas. So when you open the throttle Too much air causes it to stall. How did you get it back ?

nope... not a marine engine, its outta 442 :mrgreen: so it shouldnt be any diffrent than a *normal* engine?
im pretty sure its something with the fuel but i cant figure out what.... i really dont think its electrical?? but im not sure...

i was ony a few hundreds yards from the ramp... some little 75HP boat pulled me back.... i felt owned... haha

Does it have a HEI Ignition? Check the pickup coil under the cap. Your not really giving alot of info here.
Get in there pull the plugs. Get the fuel pressure. Its really basic.
Fuel, Air , Ignition.

I have a Buick that Iam restoring, Kinda the same motor.
Nice having the distrubutor in the front. If it has points your better off switching to a hei system.
Do you have a timming light? Check the timming, Hook the light to the #1 cyl wire, Look for the mark on the crank. That motor (in my book ) says 4deg.

Well I don't know much about things like this but I know my boat motor got some water in the gas and it did the same thing. When I gave it gas it died and then wouldn't start. Finally I figured out that it was the gas. I drained the gas out of the tank and then put some fresh gas in it and it worked fine, well that is after all the lines were flushed also.

Back