What Size Winch????

As a general guideline, the winch should be at least 1.5 times as heavy as your jeep. I constantly struggle to select the ideal winch size that will fit and function flawlessly in jeeps. If I can't find a way out of this situation, this post will provide you all the knowledge you need to determine best winch size for jeeps. It is challenging to locate the ideal combination because jeeps and winches come in a variety of sizes. You should take into account a few criteria that will undoubtedly aid you in making a wise purchase option while looking for and selecting the best.

i had a 5500 and some snatch blocks because i never went off road anyways. they were in case something crazy happened and i needed to pull myself back onto the road or pull someone else onto the road from a ditch. this was in my 87 yj. after a while i took it off and it sat in the garage for years till i finally sold it

As a general guideline, the winch should be at least 1.5 times as heavy as your jeep..

Really old post.

Hate to see the rake on the jeep after adding that winch. Hit the brakes too fast you’ll do an endo.
Bye bye gas milage

1.5X as heavy as the jeep…

I get what you are saying. Just found wording funny.

Winch max load should be 1.5 time GVW.

Consider size and how much it will block your radiator and expect higher engine temps if it covers the radiator.

Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them up - Jesse Jackson

Back