What Size Winch????

Deerhunter30

There have been a couple of threads in the last week concerning winches. What does everyone think is a good size for a winch for a Jeep (CJ, YJ, or TJ)? I don't want to end up with a winch that is too small, but I don't want to spend more money than needed or have any extra weight on the front of my Jeep either.

I heard the rule of thumb is to get one with a capacity twice the weight of the vehicle. I got a 9000 pounder from 1989, it hasnt failed me yet... since I got it fixed that is. You can always add those pulley blocks for more pulling power too.

There called snatch blocks.

One thing to consider when choosing a winch is the type of wheeling that you do, and type of vehicle. lots of mud, you are going to want a larger winch cause when your recovering a vehicle, you have the vehicles weight as well as the suction created with the mud and tires, so... a 4000 lb vehicle will require about 8000lb's of pulling power.

if you wheel more on the open trails and some rocks, you can get away with a smaller winch, but I would avoid trying to pull out some full size rigs!

If you perfer to wheel a stock, or close to stock jeep, you will need less of a winch cause you vehicle weights less.

Unless you are considering competition, I would not be too concerned with the line speed.

Most of my wheeling occurs in the mud, but sometimes it is in the rocks. Most of my wheeling occurs while hunting.....thus my screen name. The reason I want a winch is sometimes I am hunting alone or at least I might have the only 4WD vehicle. If I get stuck there is nobody to pull me out. My typical "stuck" is high centered in some muddy rutts. I know that many times I might get away with a 4000lb winch, but I do not want to under buy. I am thinking about the 8000lb model by Warn, but was wondering if I needed the 9000lb model.

8K is pretty much a standard minimum for SWB Jeeps, and the 9.5K is all the better. The 9.5K is not going to be much of a weight difference, but may have more cable capacity.

Good choice on looking at the Warn, tried and proven winch over decades. Compare the specs of the 8K and 9.5K and see what'll work best for you for your money.

I've got the Warn M8274 (didn't get it new, don't have $1100) and it hasn't let me down even in the hardest of pulls. I've yet to have to use a snatch block for more pull power, only to redirect the winch line for various recoveries.

As far as weight goes, the 8000 and 9000 lb winches probably weigh about the same.
Go with a Warn even if you have to buy a used one, then add a snatch block, clevis ring and strap to your toolbox and you will be well outfitted.

You know what would be cool, use the snatch block and the strap and hang them from a branch, put the winch line up there and hang the deer with the winch! drain the blood! That would be cool.

or not

Yeah, that's one way to do it. I have also seen people run a winch line across a swimming hole and use the snatch block and strap to make a"zip line."

Fantasy Football

There is no doubt that using the winch and a snatch block to raise a deer up in the air for cleaning purposes is in the plans.

I think your best bet for the Deer is to hang the dear from a chain and tree. Saw off the head and the front legs at the knees. skin the rear legs and split the skin down to the neck (Only split the skin no need to try to skin it off anywhere except for the rear legs down to the butt. then take a Golf ball and a 10" piece of cable that is looped at each end and make a slip knot out of the loops. slip the golf ball on the Furry side of the Skin and then fold it around the golfball Wrap the slip-knot around the golf ball and pull it tight. Place the other end on the bumper of your Jeep and drive away slowly. Will take skinning down to about 10 min max.

8000 lb warn will do just fine. why spend extra money if you don't have to. just my opinion.

I've seen this winch for $449, It is Warn's new "Magnum" line:

http://www.warn.com/truck/winches/magnum9k.shtml

8820 lbs, 4.3 hp, 100' of 5/16 cable, and a roller fairlead.

image-missing.png

I used a Ramsey 6000 on a 5800lb truck. Never failed me.
I would say a 6000-8000 for a jeep, anything bigger is just for Bling effect!

From warn:HOW TO CHOOSE A WINCH
Take the Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW) of the vehicle, and multiply by 1.5, This is the minimum size winch for the vehicle.

NOTE: Gross Vehicle Weight of the vehicle is located on the driver's door, on the inside panel.

http://www.autostyles.com/warnwinches.htm#How to Choose a Winch

Ive got a warn M8274 (8000lbs). Hasnt failed me yet. Looks real tough on jeeps too.

Back