hey gun nuts

oh joy.. why would you need to buy assault weapons anyway? it's a tad bit overkill.. only need one or 2 bullets to defend yourself....

graewulf said:
oh joy.. why would you need to buy assault weapons anyway? it's a tad bit overkill.. only need one or 2 bullets to defend yourself....

It's not about NEED. :roll: No offense, but you don't NEED a car, you could ride a bike, or even better yet yet the govt get you where you need to go with public transportation. You don't NEED a jeep. You could get a ford festiva that will get you where you want to go. A good comparison to "assault weapons".... No one NEEDS a corvette. Why would anyone want to go that fast? It's illegal to go that fast, and it's dangerous. Let's ban corvettes! The funny thing about this law is it didn't do anything! The gun manufacturers just removed some of the items that defined an "assault weapon" ie flash hider, bayonet lug, collapsable stock and sold the exact same gun. It's kinda like banning sports cars and defining them as something that has a spoiler, fog lights, and a hood scoop. All are cosmetic things, and all the car manufacturer's going to do is take that stuff off and keep reselling the same car. Shows you our govt. is ALWAYS made up of jackasses, regardless of their party affiliation. This was a feel good law that did NOTHING to stop crime OR even slow down the sales of these rifles. You know why it didn't have any effect on crime? Because criminals don't BUY guns legally. Now if you are going to rob a store, first off, do you go BUY a gun? Hell no. Just for thought, if you do go BUY a gun, do you get the single shot 12 ga for $79, or do you go get the $900 AR15? I'm thinking the clerk is going to hand over that money just as fast looking at that 12 ga as they are if you are holding something else. Not that a CRIMINAL is going to buy a gun legally anyway. They're gonna pick one up on the street. CRIMINALS don't follow the rules. That's what makes them CRIMINALS. The Bush ban on imported assault rifles in 1989 banned cheap ones that people could afford, and the clinton ban just banned a wider array of rifles (like the AR15 with its $900 price tag). It was just a feel good legislation based entirely on cosmetic features. They looked at a bunch of guns and banned the "scary" looking ones. I'd much rather be shot at by the AR15 (.223) that a Remington 870 with some double-ought buckshot. Almost done with my rant. You're right, there's not much NEED for assault weapons, but there is a ton of stuff in the country we don't NEED. NEED is a perception, and if we start banning things because we decide someone doesn't NEED that particular thing, we're going down a dangerous path. Gun owners fought the bill from the fear that a couple years down the road the govt will "redefine" an assault weapon as any semiautomatic, thus taking grandads Browning A5 shotgun etc. Kerry supported a bill doing just that; banning semi shotguns that had a "pistol grip". Of course the "pistol grip" was very loosely defined and it was defeated because all modern shotguns have a semi pistol grip stock, and these would have been banned. Didn't pass this time, but I don't even want it getting to a vote. Most gun owners don't want an "assault weapon", but they don't want give an inch, and let the govt. take a mile.

WM69 you nailed it! WE don't need the bad black guns but more than that we sure do not need the goverment telling us we can't have em either! The right to bare arms! Just as importaint as free speach! The forefathers of this nation did not say the right to bare small cal. single shot rifels, but arms! tug

Tug-n-pull said:
WM69 you nailed it! WE don't need the bad black guns but more than that we sure do not need the goverment telling us we can't have em either! The right to bare arms! Just as importaint as free speach! The forefathers of this nation did not say the right to bare small cal. single shot rifels, but arms! tug

Uh, tug, it's "bear arms". BARE arms would be a short sleeve shirt (sorry but couldn't resist) :lol:

well said WM69........hey graeful, go ask someone representing greenpeace if you need that gas guzzling, ozone destroying jeep that you drive. Of course they will say no, and you will respond with something like......I dont NEED it I just WANTED it and that is my right as an american. Most of you guys have no idea what exactly defines an assault rifle, you just immediately associate them with criminals. You may be right when you speak about only needing two rounds of ammo to protect yourself, but I hope that you are referring to a 12 gauge loaded with buckshot. If you are talking about a smaller caliber handgun, then my friend you are dead wrong. I have read numerous reports of people taking numerous rounds of 9mm to the chest and continuing to advance on their victim, and I am not running that risk. I LEGALLY concealed carry a 40sw daily (because I WANT to), and my magazines LEGALLY hold 13 rounds. Did the assault weapons ban stop me from legally aquiring these hi-cap magazines? in short no. Will those extra 3 rounds turn me into a mass murdering lunatic taking out small towns all over this country? no. Although you may be right....we should ban these "assault weapons", because I may just attach a bayonette to my assault weapon and stab someone. :wink:

Here we go again.
Guns don't kill people, idiots with guns kill people. Are we going to ban kitchen knives and baseball bats, too? Why not they can be used in violent crimes?
As a gun owner, I can tell you that I agree with some legal action involving firearms. Not to the extent that radicals would like to see, but more in the sense that the laws we already have should be enforced vs. outlawing certain types of guns.
The old saying "If they outlaw guns then only outlaws will have guns," can be read in two different ways. One is that I will instantly become an Outlaw because they aren't getting any of mine. Second, is that law abiding citizens may give up theirs, but criminals won't. Now which would you rather have...a society where everyone can have a gun or where only the criminals have guns. It's pretty simple.

9mm is not a good thing to use. Most people that grab the 9mm do not know that the normal round is a Supersonic round that will NOT stop anything that has forward movement. You have to but the hollowpoint "slowmovers" to get the desired "Stoping" effect.

as far as assualt weapons go:

I see no need for a 30 round bannana clip of 7.62mm full metal jackets being owned by the same person that now has full rights to own a fully automatic (Assault rifle) AK-47 that is easilly modified to be fully automatic.. Then again, if you have a 10 round mag 12-guage sawed-off, pistol gripped shotgun beside your bed, it will only take one person comming into a house before it stops the criminals. the word WILL get out.

L33TJ33P said:
9mm is not a good thing to use. Most people that grab the 9mm do not know that the normal round is a Supersonic round that will NOT stop anything that has forward movement. You have to but the hollowpoint "slowmovers" to get the desired "Stoping" effect.

as far as assualt weapons go:

I see no need for a 30 round bannana clip of 7.62mm full metal jackets being owned by the same person that now has full rights to own a fully automatic (Assault rifle) AK-47 that is easilly modified to be fully automatic.. Then again, if you have a 10 round mag 12-guage sawed-off, pistol gripped shotgun beside your bed, it will only take one person comming into a house before it stops the criminals. the word WILL get out.

There's that word again.... NEED. Do YOU know how to easily convert a semi auto to full auto? I didn't think so, because there is no easy way to do it. The insides of the guns are completely different and they can't be converted without machine gun parts, which are already heavily regulated. If you own full auto parts they won't fit a semi auto without doing some heavy milling/machine work. Anybody with the know-how to do that can convert ANY semi auto gun to full auto. The "easily convert to full auto" is another complete lie fabricated by people who want an excuse to ban them. Unfortuantely people who don't know any better sometimes believe that. Your jeep can be easily converted to run on bio diesel. Is that true? No, of course not, you would have to swap a diesel engine in it, just like you would have to swap the innards from a full auto into a semi auto. A diesel engine into a jeep is an easier swap that full auto parts into a semi auto reciever because auto sears are illegal without registration. To own one requires heavy fees and a background check (hint, if you have a parking ticket, you ain't getting a full auto). You also sign a waiver stating that at any time the feds can come to your home and check on the gun. If it isn't there you go to jail. The full autos the gang bangers have are full auto's that were illegally imported in the first place. They arent' gonna go through a background check and they sure arent' going to pay $1500 for an auto sear and $900 for an AR when they can get one illegally for $300. That's the hitch, enforce the laws we have instead of making new ones. Full autos are already illegal, but criminals still use them. They aren't worried about whether the gun they are shooting someone with is legal or illegal. THEY'RE SHOOTING SOMEONE! That's why further gun control is just idiotic. Crimials break laws for a living. Does anyone really think they are going to obey and gun laws? Drugs are illegal, but they're still readily available aren't they? You ban guns, the legal, law abiding citizens give them up, and the criminal (who break laws for a living), don't ...... That's just friking stupid.......

This is such a sore topic around the nation and its crazy. People need to realize that gun laws are for people who follow laws. You think drug dealers go and purchase their firearms from the mom and pop sporting good shop? Do you think they register their firearm with police? Do you think they care if the gun has pre or post ban parts? Big NO. Sorry but in the past two months i have taken a stolen .357 revolver, with serial numbers filed off, from a 15 year old kid, and a 44 Colt revolver from a drug dealer on a traffic stop.

Let me also hit on the 9mm bit, i carry a Glockl 21, .45 caliber semi-auto with a 13 round mag, and off duty i carry a concealed Glock 30, .45 caliber semi-auto with a 10 round magazine. That is what most refer to as stopping power, because a person can get struck in the hand, and the .45 caliber hollow-point round with drop them in a heartbeat.

And lastly, defensive shooting means shooting as accurately and quickly as possible before you get hit. If this were a perfect world, we would only need 3 bullets, double tap to the chest and one in the head to neutralize the aggreser. Sorry if I offended anyone, but i think gun laws are ok, but i think they need to get harsher punishments for felons who possess a firearm.

Laws for Firearms

just wait till deer hunters hear about this. I can see it now, a guy in a camo with an M60 goin to town on a 8 pointer!!!! Git-R-done

The "easily convert to full auto" is another complete lie fabricated by people who want an excuse to ban them.

I for one have the Tag that states, "Outlaw guns and only outlaws will have them"

Let's talk about Ease now: (simple google search on "AK-47 full auto modification")

http://www.ak-47.net/ak47/autowerks.html
http://www.gunshowbooks.com/cgi-bin/webc.exe/st_prod.html?p_prodid=GS207515&sid=6O3zVHZl
http://www.firingpin.com/fullauto-dir.htm
http://www.ioffer.com/i/13-FULL-AUTO-MANUALS-CD-ROM-OPER.-MANUALS-1435726

Only a few, now get pissy again and tell me how easy that it ISN'T to get this done for any "average joe"

Jeepster05 said:
just wait till deer hunters hear about this. I can see it now, a guy in a camo with an M60 goin to town on a 8 pointer!!!! Git-R-done

They're fun to shoot, but that's the other thing about full auto's. I got to shoot a browning belt fed auto (legally registered, purchase price: over $20K) at a demonstration one day and even with the cheapest .308 you can buy, we went through about $400 worth in a little over 5 min. I prefer to buy land mines at my local WalMart to use deer hunting. That way I just go out and pick up the meat. It 's already dressed!

Here's a place to get full autos.

http://www.autoweapons.com/products/products.html

If it were easy to convert a semi to full auto the prices on these would be about 5% of what they are. These prices are before the tax stamps and misc "registration fees".

M-60, M-249 SAW, MRK-19 are all fully auto weapons that are MUCH fun to shoot. But I wouldn't want to get caught in anything less that a bunker with a stationary mount or Tri-pod for them. I never got to try the E4-G (the weapon that replaced the M-60)

gun control is good... very good... but gun control is not something any law or government can take part in... gun control is a practice

gun abolishment is bad...

Another place to find just about any kind of gun you can think of is at a site that sells on the "honor system". They have everything from air guns to cannons and anti-aircraft guns. I don't know how this type of site is even legal but its cool to look around.

www.gunsamerica.com

Jeepster05 said:
Another place to find just about any kind of gun you can think of is at a site that sells on the "honor system". They have everything from air guns to cannons and anti-aircraft guns. I don't know how this type of site is even legal but its cool to look around.

www.gunsamerica.com

The "honor system" only refers to paying the site their fees when you sell something. When you sell something on ebay, they charge you a fee. When you sell something on GA, you tell them you sold it and they charge you a listing fee at that time. It doesn't have anything to do with the law. IF a person sells a gun illegally (like to a person in another state who doesn't have a federal firearms license) and gets caught it isn't legal, and they get in mucho trouble for it. There are tons of gun laws on the books. If you break one, knowingly or unknowingly you get torched by the BATF. People can sell guns on the net, but they have to know and follow the state and local laws or they go to jail. As for the cannons and AA guns, just like the full auto stuff, VERY heavily regulated. Cool if you can afford it and have a perfect record to pass all the background checks/ registration. There are a ton of gun related laws on the books. If we enforce the ones in existance there wouldn't be a problem. Enacting more laws isn't the answer.

Back