Anyone understand cams?

Mxpx182lit

I need to order a cam for my full race 73 Nova, but I know nothing about them except how they install and work. Can anyone recommend a good cam grind for a
2004 454 BBC
10.5:1 Aluminum Pistons
Merlin III Heads
Eagle 4140 crank
Weiland Tunnel Ram Intake
ARP Bolts
Aluminum VC

Thanks in advance!

Justin

I used to use Comp cams engine analizer pro.
I would just call there tech line.

I perfer Crane cams. But I agree call the Tech Line. I worked with one of the techs there to pick out a cam for the performance I wanted

nobody knows better than crane and comp.... call them up and tell them what you have/want and they will set it straight

Wow :shock: nice!!
You need some more specs before you can make a cam selection, and even the tech guys will be guessing a little if you don't give them more info such as vehicle weight, stall speed, gearing......
I assume with that setup you'll go ahead and pony up for a roller cam. Hydraulic roller lifters don't handle high rpm very well, so go solid. Tell the tech guy your car is FULL race and driveability isn't a concern.
I'm a Comp fan, but I've had a Crane and it was fine. Lunati makes a nice cam too, and there are several smaller companies that put out nice stuff too.

I'm just guessing here, but with a 10.5:1 compression ratio, I'm betting you could make more power in a more useable range with a properly prepped and matched single plane intake and single four barrel carb.

[quote="Junkpile

I'm just guessing here, but with a 10.5:1 compression ratio, I'm betting you could make more power in a more useable range with a properly prepped and matched single plane intake and single four barrel carb.[/quote]

Agreed. You've kinda built a motor that defeats itself. A tunnel ram isn't worth much before 4000 rpm and a low compression motor (compared to a track only) makes most of its torque in the low rpm band. You can't have it both ways. You need to decide where you anticipate getting the most use out of it and then make a cam selection. Rule of thumb is: Street-.525 lift, 280 duration, Track-Big lift .600 or more 300+ duration.
I ran a B/Gas '69 RoadRunner for a long time.

Back