2005 Unlimited Rubicon

Deerhunter30

AUBURN HILLS, Mich., Sept. 27 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Jeep(R) Wrangler, the heart and soul of the Jeep brand, dominates the small sport utility segment. Jeep, the "Go Anywhere, Do Anything" brand, plans to conquer even more territory with the introduction of its all-new 2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon.

Jeep announced pricing today for the all-new 2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon. For $28,825, Jeep delivers extreme, rugged off-road Rubicon capability in Wrangler's new long wheelbase Unlimited model, which is 15 inches longer than the standard Jeep Wrangler with twice as much cargo volume.

"Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon aggressively expands the Wrangler lineup, delivering customers extreme off-road capability in a package that provides improved comfort and convenience," said Jeff Bell, Vice President, Jeep Marketing. "By marrying Wrangler Rubicon's capability with Wrangler Unlimited's versatility, Jeep attracts a broad range of customers who want to tackle the toughest off-road trails, and have the ability to bring along family, friends and cargo."

The 2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon's off-road system includes front and rear Dana model 44 axles with "air-actuated" Tru-Lok(TM) locking front and rear differentials, a Rock-Trac(TM) 4:1 low-range transfer case, four-wheel disc brakes and 31-inch Goodyear Wrangler "Maximum Traction/Reinforced" tires, which provide an extra one-half inch of ground clearance versus the standard Jeep Wrangler Unlimited model.

"Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon's unique factory off-road system is another chapter in the Wrangler value story," Bell said. "Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon offers extreme off-road capability at approximately half the price of modifying the vehicle with aftermarket hardware. Combine that with Jeep engineering, testing on the world's most demanding trails, Jeep's 7-year/70,000-mile Powertrain Limited Warranty and significantly more space, and it's clear the all-new 2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon delivers the ultimate combination of capability, versatility and value."

More Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Features
In addition to extended length and increased cargo volume, the all-new 2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon offers improved on-road comfort due to improved shock tuning and a 103-inch wheelbase, which is 10 inches longer than the original Wrangler.

A new dash pad, hood pad and thick rear carpet padding in the cargo area contribute to a 30 percent quieter ride in Jeep Wrangler Unlimited models.

An innovative new Sunrider(TM) soft top, with a "sun roof" in addition to the full top-down option, is offered on the Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon. The Sunrider top includes larger deep-tinted windows, providing second-row passengers better visibility.

Inside, access to the second row is improved with tip-and-slide front seats on both driver and passenger sides. Other interior highlights include an additional power outlet on the dash and an optional security group that includes an electrochromatic rearview mirror with temperature/compass display, map lights and Sentry(R) Key.

Best-In-Class Towing; Durable Power
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited models boast best-in-segment towing capability of 3,500 lbs., which is 1,500 lbs. more than the standard Jeep Wrangler. The Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon is powered by the 190 horsepower 4.0-liter Power Tech(TM) I-6 engine, available with a four speed automatic transmission or new, standard six-speed manual transmission.

Jeep Brand
Jeep brand sales have increased five percent year-over-year in 2004 (through August), with four new models set to launch this year. The Jeep Wrangler Unlimited is now available in Jeep dealer showrooms. The all new 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee and new Jeep Liberty Renegade and Jeep Liberty Diesel models launch this fall.

Jeep Wrangler sales have increased 24 percent year-to-date, while Wrangler Rubicon sales are up more than 30 percent over 2003.

Jeep Trail Rated(R)
Jeep Trail Rated(R) communicates the legendary Jeep capability that is designed into every Jeep 4x4. The Jeep Trail Rated badge indicates that the vehicle has been designed to perform in a variety of challenging conditions identified by five key consumer-oriented performance categories: traction, ground clearance, maneuverability, articulation and water fording. As the brand's lineup expands, Jeep-branded vehicles will continue to be what they have always been: the most capable.

2005 Jeep Wrangler Pricing
For reference, following are prices for 2005 Jeep Wrangler models, including the all-new 2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon. All prices include $610 for destination.
Jeep Wrangler SE $18,510
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited $24,355
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon $27,825
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon $28,825

I meant to post this a couple of weeks ago and forgot. Before I bought the 99 TJ, I considered taking on another payment and buying a new Unlimited. Anyway, I had two questions that I needed answered before I went through with it. Is the Unlimited going to be offered with the Rubicon package and how high could I lift it and keep the warranty? The salesman called me back the next day and told me the Rubicaon Unlimited WOULD be coming out next year......and even more importantly, he said his boss told him he has been told that up to four inches of lift would not void the warranty!! He even tried to get me to come look at a new TJ that they had on the lot that they had fitted with a 2.5" lift and 32" tires. From what he was saying, I would expect a factory installed 2" lift as an option in the near future. Maybe Jeep is finally coming around on a few issues that they have been real A-holes about in the past.

I like the upgrades but to be honest, I don't know if I would want to spend another 10K just so I could have a rubicon....I still think you could do it cheaper buying the standard wrangler and adding the aftermarket parts....not to mention I bet the after market parts are alot stronger than what they put on at the factory

$30k for a wrangler...unlimited or not...damn

Thats what i thought. I looked one time on the jeep website at a totally stipped SE.. just under 15k.. That was less than 2 years ago, now its base price is over 18? geez...

Nathan

That's one of the reasons I didn't spend too much time on the idea of buying a new one. Those prices are freakin outrageous :shock: I'm not too keen on the idea of having 4:1 low-range gears either, and you can't get a Rubicon without them. I'm starting to think it's not such a great package after all, at least not for me anyway.

I seem to remember seeing ads "back in the day" for brand new YJ Wrangler S models for $9,999. Inflation mixed with ridiculous government mandates mixed with Greed is a real b*tch.

From the Jeep web site (www.jeep.com) there will still be a Sport model with a base price of $23,500 and the X with a base price of $20,800 in 2005.

judge09 said:
$30k for a wrangler...unlimited or not...damn

How 'bout $18K for a base model. :shock:

That's ridiculous, but I guess with the popularity they are selling for that much.

Booo hisss

Remember that is MSRP, they will sell for cheaper! our local dealership is offering 04 rubi's dual top for 22K

Everything is relative.

I am not trying to argue, just trying to see my options. I plan to buy a Rubicon when my wife gets out of nursing school. My question is can you modify an X to be equivalent to a Rubicon for less money? For this question I would like to use MSRP. Both prices could be negotiated down so let's just work with MSRP.

2005 Wrangler Rubicon:
Dual top
cruise control
MSRP = $29,560

Wrangler X:
7 Speakers with subwoofer (gotta have good tunes)
cruise control
AC (I live in Houston and this will be my daily driver....gotta have AC)
MSRP = $22,970

That is a price difference of $6,590 that could be used to mod it to equal the Rubicon's capabilities.

Upgrades Required to make a Wrangler X equal to a Rubicon:
Dana 44 front - $?
Dana 44 back - $?
Air locker front - $?
Air locker rear - $?
SYE (I know this may not be necessary, but I plan on lifting and it will be needed eventually) - $?
4:1 tranfer case (I know that some might not like the 4:1 but I do. Not to mention that the Rock-Trac transfer case is stronger and comes with stronger u-joints) - $?
New tires (This might be a wash because I would like bigger tires when I get a Rubicon, but that will probably wait until the factory tires wear out, but those little 215/75R15 would HAVE to go) - $?

All that does not take into consideration that if I bought a Wrangler X and ripped the differentials off an added 44s with lockers they would not be covered under warranty.

What I would like is for a few of you to help me estimate how much these mods would cost to see if it would be under $6,590.

Deerhunter......you sound like me!! My wife just graduated from nursing(RN) school a few months ago, and she wanted me to get a Rubicon when she graduated. Of course, I was all over that idea :lol: I just couldn't do it though. Not really because I didn't like it, I just didn't want to get under another payment with a baby coming.

What kept nagging me: I don't know how you drive......but a D44, as great of an axle as it is, isn't up to 4:1 low range gears and tires over 35" if you have any kind of decent power under the hood. I had a welding teacher in highschool that had a CJ7 with a 258,NP435,D300 and D44 axles. On 35" Swampers he could bust that rear D44 at will. If you do the math, the six speed Rubicon with the 4:1 gears has a lower compound gear than that NP435 and D300 Tcase......so it has more torque multiplication and will be even harder on the axles. An upgrade to a Super 44 kit can help but the ring gear still hasn't got the stamina to keep up. The front axle needs new shafts to make me feel comfortable with tires over 33", and you have the same gear and carrier weaknesses up front except now it's compounded by the fact that it's spinning in reverse because it's a standard rotation diff. The Tcase is STILL an aluminum NP, so take that how you will. Either way, it can't be that strong. I don't live in a rock-pile, a 4:1 Tcase is useless to me in most situations too. It's a great starting point, but don't expect the big tires and lift to be the only expenses needed to turn one into a trail boss.
You can't equip an "X" the same way for the same money, which is why so many Rubicons are leaving the lots. The Rubicons ARE really cool and I do still want one....but for ME, I think I came out better buying a well equipped used Sport and feeling better about cutting it up and doing it the way I want.

Good points Junkpile. Let me tell you what my plans are and see if the D44s and Rock-Trac will be adequate. In the future I would like to put a 3" or 4" lift kit with 32s or 33s on it. I know everyone tells me that once you lift, you will just want to go higher, but for my situation this is not true. I drive my Jeep long distance to hunt and anything over 33s is too tall for good road manners. I had a 97 Z71 extended cab with 33s on it with 3" of lift and never thought about going higher. My question is do you think that will the Rock-Trac and D44s be adequate with 3" or 4" of lift and 32s or 33s? I am thinking yes.

I don't see why you wouldn't be fine with that setup. I wouldn't even be real quick to regear with up to 33" tires, especially if you had the six speed. A few inches of suspension lift and some 33" Swampers would be awesome on a Rubicon!!

Your last post got me thinking.....one of the aftermarket axle suppliers should offer a package for non-Rubicon TJs. A set of lockers, some Tcase gears, and some neat stickers for the hood where the factory "RUBICON" goes......maybe they could steal Inspector Gadget's idea and include a couple of "BUBBACON" stickers :lol:

Junkpile said:
......maybe they could steal Inspector Gadget's idea and include a couple of "BUBBACON" stickers :lol:

BUBBACON?

{{!!!PERK!!!}} :shock:

There is also a "BUBBACON-II" now. I acquired an old utility trailer this spring and subsequently painted the trailer body and wheels to match the body and wheel colors of the BUBBACON.

Well...sorta. It is hard to match automotive paint colors using Sears Weather-Beater. :wink:

Actually, I am waiting to see if and how this Unlimited publicity translates into reality.

I recently extended the lease on my 2002 G-C until May, 2005. I would like at that time to get down to having one vehicle. If DC-Jeep holds to the latest press releases, next May, the G-C will be turned in, the Bubbacon will go on the block, and Gadget will look very cool going for milk and bread in his newly leased Unlimited. :lol:

Regards,

Grocery-Getter Gadget

Junkpile,
That is one of the other reasons that I like the Rubicon....4.11 gears. With 4.11 gears I figure that I am good to 32" or 33" of tires without a regear.

jps4jeep said:
Remember that is MSRP, they will sell for cheaper! our local dealership is offering 04 rubi's dual top for 22K

Everything is relative.

Hey now! That's still a lot of dough, but much more do-able.

Do they have a square headlight option? :twisted:

This is the 3rd time that I am going to try and post this. The other 2, the post deleted, so I hope that this works. My buddy and I were browsing at Birmingham Chrysler Jeep (my local 2-towns-over dealership, which held the best service record across the nation for quite a while, though I don't know if they still do.) I just like to go and see all the nice Jeep that I cannot afford... I could not believe the prices on the new Wrangler Unlimited... 28,000 was the sticker price... My Cherokee was only 24 back in the day, and when I did the price lookup, the Unlimited was comparable to a midgrade 300C, or a Caravan, both expensive vehicles. It's amazing how much a Jeep can cost these days. Who has that kind of money?!?

Upon a closer inspection of the Unlimited, I rather like it... The front interior is comparable to that of my Cherokee, although since I have never been in a Wrangler, I cannot compare to that. It looked sharp, the 2 that I saw were in the cherry red, and the patriot blue, both with black hard tops. In the pictures that I saw when it was first mentioned on this board, the soft top looked kind of odd on it, but I have not actually seen one with that, so I do not know. It's body styling reminded me of a CJ-7, same friendly Jeep, but stretched...

I heard from one of the dealers that I was talking to some rather disturbing news... I hope he was misinformed, but Chrysler has a tendency to get rid of things when they get a little long in the tooth: Jeep Trucks, Wranglers with Square Headlights, and my beloved Cherokee (not the one that costs you an arm and a leg, but the other one) I have nothing against the Grands, but why keep one and not the other? Maybe they'll bring it back like Chevy did the Monte Carlo, but I doubt it, that's not Chrysler style... Anyway, he mentioned that they were discontinuing the I-6, as early as 2007. Everything would then come with the 3.7 V-6 instead... He even said that, although the V-6 has a higher top horsepower, the I-6 kicks it's butt on low-RPM torque, which is where everyone feels it, and wants it.

Out of all the engines in all the cars that I have ever worked with, the I-6 makes the most practical sense to me, and is therefore the easiest for me to work on. Also, combined with the Jeep engine compartments, it is one of the only Chrysler vehicles that you can actually get in and work on. My mom's Sebring, fat chance... You have to take off a wheel to get to the battery, and who knows where the radiator is? They put the pressure cap in line, because it is hidden, in fact, everything is under the huge plastic air intake. Anyone who knows me knows that I hate change, and getting rid of this engine, which has been a cornerstone of Jeep for quite a while, just seems wrong.

Jeez, I write a lot, and keep in mind that this is the 3rd copy, which always gets shorter... To sum up, Jeeps are too expensive, Chrysler needs to stop banishing things to the land of wind and ghosts (I know things can't last forever, but don't take something away that has kept steady sales since the AMC days (and technically pulled AMC through some very hard times, from what I read), and they'd sure better not get rid of the 4.0 I-6...

Back