not a good day at all

eat_sleep_jeep

So i parked my jeep in the parking lot at school yesterday morning. Just as i had walked up the hill to the door, the parking break released and the jeep rolled back hitting another parked car. It hit a 96 accord, scratched the bumper, it buckled out on the sides, trunk is crushed in under the license plate, big dent on the top from hinge, tail light is popping out, and trunk was shifted and moved foward. Not a scratch on my jeep. It's not even a hill the parking lot is almost flat so it was going pretty slow. I always leave it in gear except for yesterday i was rushing and just put on the e brake.

Estimate is 1900.

Not good. :(

Sucks! Carry a brick and just pop it behind the a tire and your set. Hope your rates dont go up.

Too bad you didn't just back into another Jeep.........you coulda said "sorry 'bout that" and that would have been it! Lesson learned long, long ago - I always leave mine in gear.

That is a bad day. At least no one was hurt though!

The release mechanism was part of a recall for the YJ's. They, um, release automatically. Same thing happened to mine, but mine hit a Chevy S10. If that S10 wasn't there, it would have rolled into a 40 MPH road with lots of traffic.

See a dealer, it should be a free fix.

Have you had the ebrake fixed by Chrystler yet? I just got the recall notice on my ebrake in the mail a month ago for my 93 YJ. If it hasn't been replaced yet and you haven't received a recall notice, mabye you can bill Chrystler for the damages.

I've never even heard of the recall until now, I never got anything in the mail. Does anyone know the specific years for the recall? I found this on the 92 and 95 but can't find anything for 89.

Summary:
ON CERTAIN SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH MANUAL TRANSMISSIONS, THE PARKING BRAKE CAN SELF-RELEASE WITHOUT WARNING.

Consequence:
THIS COULD ALLOW THE VEHICLE TO ROLL AWAY, INCREASING THE RISK OF A CRASH.

Remedy:
DEALERS WILL INSTALL A PARKING BRAKE ASSEMBLY WITH A STRONGER PAWL RETURN SPRING. OWNER NOTIFICATON BEGAN SEPTEMBER 30, 2002. OWNERS WHO TAKE THEIR VEHICLES TO AN AUTHORIZED DEALER ON AN AGREED UPON SERVICE DATE AND DO NOT RECEIVE THE FREE REMEDY WITHIN A REASONABLE TIME SHOULD CONTACT DAIMLERCHRYSLER AT 1-800-853-1403.

Do you think that would hold up considering i have a lift?

found it.
The U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said Chrysler would recall 316,148 Jeep Wrangler sport utility vehicles made between June 1989 and December 1995 to fix parking brakes that can release on their own without warning.
How do I know if it was made before june???

Tug-n-pull said:
cool Points for killing a ricer in my book! hehehe tug
who said it was a ricer? not trying to start an argument, but hondas are very good cars, some of the best you can buy. an accord or a civic is a GREAT commuter car, or all around every day driver. before i got my jeep i had a 95 accord, completely stock, and it was a completely reliable car, and a lot easier on the pocket.

Re: baby girl

Maybe so. It does not rebuke the fact that it, and the accord you had are ricers. It doesn't have to have a farting muffler to qualify as a ricer.

Call a local Jeep dealership and give them your VIN #. They can look it up quickly as well as tell you of any other open recalls. You shouldn't need the recall notice because they are responsible for replacing it, you are responsible to bring it to them.
My old Parking Brake released once on me (just after I bought it) and I woke up to find my Jeep blocking my road. It was kinda hilarious at the time, but I was lucky nobody was hurt and no damage was done.
My new brake holds awesome, but my overnight experience still makes me leave it in gear. When my kids play outside, I put bricks behind the tires too.

I called the insurance company today, i told them about the recall, they want me to get a phone number they can call and ask about it. He said I may have something, i even told him it was lifted and modified and he said it doesn't matter. So i'm gonna stop at the jeep dealer on the way home from work.

As to what you guys were talkin about. I think all Japenese cars are ricers too but I won't bash on them unless they are trying to "supe" them up. This one happened to be just a plain accord with no fart muffler. My mom actually drives an accord and my brother drives a civic. They are inexpensive reliable cars.

Looking for a 304

bchcky said:
Tug-n-pull said:
cool Points for killing a ricer in my book! hehehe tug
who said it was a ricer? not trying to start an argument, but hondas are very good cars, some of the best you can buy. an accord or a civic is a GREAT commuter car, or all around every day driver. before i got my jeep i had a 95 accord, completely stock, and it was a completely reliable car, and a lot easier on the pocket.

If it was made in Japan it is a ricer by my definition! Never said they were not good cars I just do not want one. Mazda, Honda, Toyota, ect.... all ricers in my book. Sorry I hit a nerve though maybe some day you can get you another ez on the pocket book made in Japan daily driver. As far as me I will drive American as long as posible. tug

that recall is not worth it, I had mine done and the e-brake still is worthless. Always leave it in R

Back