Whats Next???????????

FiCJeep

IFS on the new Wrangler??? What is happening to the legendary Jeep that everyone loved??? As i was walking around in the shop today i came across on of the mechanics working on the New Grand..... It has IFS
seriously what happened to the Jeep........ first the liberty now the new Grand...... next will be a wrangler with IFS........also the New Grands dont look as strongly built as the 99-04 models. The new ones just look cheap.

Jeep is going to Hell Quickly.......... they need to clean up their act and fast

When I saw the add for the new grand I thought "oh brother look at that stupid liberty.....wait its a grand!" Jeep is changing and pretty soon all we will have is IFS. Get your solid axles while you can.

Besides not being as strong, why is everyone so against IFS? Stock, IFS is way more capable than straight axle and offers more ground clearance where it is needed most, between the wheels. Not to mention it keeps the meat of the tire on the obstacle when off-camber instead of riding on the edge. And, given a few years you will see 4" lift kits, lockers, etc available for IFS. You will be able to run 33" tires off a lifted IFS Jeep (which is more than 90% of the off-roaders will need) in time.

Keep in mind, when fuel injection was introduced, Jeepers made the same kinds of complaints, and now most would prefer the fuel injection because of its performance, especially on steep inclines.

Graewulf, IFS only has more clearance when it is sitting still. When you hit a bump, both wheels go upwards but the center stays in the same spot, which means the clearance decreases. A solid axle moves upwards with the tires, maintaining it's clearance. IFS rigs tend to "plow" too much in soft terrain.

Mass production IFS has to make too many compromises to be really good at anything. Race trucks that have super long control arms and $500 a piece springs can have awesome travel.....not so on the crappy systems you will find under a mass production unit.

With IFS, when one tire is pushed into the wheelwell, the other tire moves independantly. That may sound good in theory as far as keeping a good contact patch goes, but you lose the leverage(and increased contact pressure) that a solid axle would transfer to the other tire.

the.. as you mentioned.. there is strength... each joint is another weakpoint

Ifs is Jeep's way of catering to soccer moms and yuppies in providing a posh ride. I hope they hold out with the SWB Wrangler. We don't need no stinkin' posh ride!

Matters little to me what they do to Jeeps from here on out I don't care anything about any Jeep made after 1995 any how. But it is sad to see such a great line fall to the moden worlds way of thinking. The only reason to own a Jeep in my way of thinking "SWB that is" would be to trail, off road, and run around close to home in. As a first choice on the road and get around ride it is so lacking in so many areas as compared to the car truck and suvs of the world. Now the LWB Jeep is a great dule ride road/trail but that is a different story all together! Please do not think me a LWB hater rather a SWB lover. tug

im with tug, if its after 95 it is of little use to me. the wrangler started to cater to soccer moms when they dropped coil buckets onto the axles instead of spring perches and added a subwoofer option. now i know tj's can be incredibl flexy offroad but IFS would put a lot of wrangler owners through the roof. coil springs are an acceptable way to cheat, IFS is just BS

I went in to look at a 04 Rubicon, and was told that they will be doing the same for Wranglers suspension, as well as getting rid of the 4.0 to the 3.7 from the Libertys. Why oh why are they screwing up such a good thing?

Back