Air Filter question

88Wrangles

RE: Re: RE: Warning NOT for those that don

Okay, The air filter stetup I am using is the typical, right on top of the carbeurator style. Now, for the dumb question :roll: : I bough an air filter that is a lot taller in order to let the engine breathe a little better, but it is a little smaller in diameter. This is the only one that I could find that is taller and as close to the others diameter as possible. Should I look for a whole new setup (meaning new plates that go on the top and bottom of the airfilter, holding it in) or can I still use this one? It is only about a 1/2" smaller around the edge, but I'm afraid stuff might get in through there.

Should I use a little waterproof grease or silicone along the top and bottom to seal it off, or am I just being too paranoid and just through on the new filter and leave it alone?

Here's a pic of the filter that's on there now:

image-missing.png

Hopefully that all made sense!!

IMO, I´m seeing mud (or splash) in the engine bay, so I´m guessing it´s used off road. If you still have the mechanical fan and an open air cleaner, it´s just a matter of time before it turns into a mess.
Minimum mud hole equipment is an inclosed filer with the spout pointed somewhere to the rear. The few extra horses aren´t worth the possibility of sucking a load of water down the carb.

Re: RE: Fuel Gauge

if you tighten the nut down far enough, it should seal fine, where are you talking about putting silicone?

Snitty, see how there is a lip on the top and bottom metal (crome) plates. Well this air filter pictured fits snug in there, right up to the lip, covering the netire surface of the plate thingys. The new filter I got doesn't quite fill in the whole area up to that lip, so I was thinking of putting some kind of sealant on the top and bottom of filter (actually the rubbery ring that goes around the outside of the filter supporting it) to make up for it not being flush with those plates (so that extra open are doesn't fill up with water and run under the filter into the carb.

Dammit!!! I don't know how to explain it!!!

MudderChuck, that is all the mud that got into there after going through a hole of mud (solid mud, not water) that was about 6 inches over the 44" tires. I have an electric fan and the engine bay is pretty sealed off from any stray mud that might try and find it's way in there. The only way it will suck in a lot of water is If I sink it in around 6 feet of water or more. I am just worried about some drops of water finding there way in there onto the bottom plate of the airfilter setup, then running under the smaller diameted filter and into the carb.

RE: Pictures from my trip!

You want more filter area right? A better alternative would be to stack two filters of the correct diameter. Put a bead of that silicone between them.

You'll need a longer stud. Just go to the hardware store and buy a piece of threaded rod the same thread size as the current stud and cut it to length.

RE: paint ?

ya, That's what I was originally planning on doing, but I couldn't find any filters like the one pictures. I'll just keep looking.

Thanks

tire question

Thanks, that's what I was thinking, but I just wanted to hear what others had to say.

Here's what I'm talking about and was trying to describe!!:

image-missing.png

image-missing.png

RE: new jeeper w/dumb question

currupt4130 said:
44's! 6inches over the 44"s! OMG

Ya!! I've got some friends who own 38 acres that is only used for wheeling :lol: . They have a pretty good sized pond there, which was a ton of mud with lots of water on top. So, we pumped all the water out, then used an escavader to stir it up really good. I'd say we did good...

Back