Alarm always goes off

eflynn

I have a Jeep Wrangler that has a Viper 500 ESP alarm in it. I realize that an alarm will not keep a thief from steeling it, but I like to have it so a theif may think twice and move onto another vehicle. I originally had Circuit City intall it and I am wondering if I can set the sensitivity on the shock sensor? I am not sure where it might be located? Also, if I can not get it to work I would just like to take it out and have the door switches and the engine kill.
I live in Clearwater, FL and my insurance company says that Wranglers are in the top 10 for the most stolen vehicles. I just bought a new top and I always just leave the doors open. I want to try and keep the Jeep. Can anyone help me out?

The shock sensor should be a black box slightly smaller than a cigarette pack. It will have a sensitivity adjustment on it. It could be mounted anywhere, but it is most likely under the dash zip-tied top a factory wiring harness.

Close TC but no cigar! The Viper 500 esp shock sensor is going to be clear, and will be about th size of a matchbox. very small, yes it will most likely be zip tied up or screwed or they use strip chaulking (CC installers love that stuff) there will be a very small white set screw on the side, it looks a little like a arrow. this will be what you use to adjust the sensitivity. Here is where people sometimes go wrong with installing these things.

The whole idea of a shock sensor is to register what the Glass is broken, but for some reason some people make it so if someone bumps into the car, it gets set off. Bad! he is how you properly set the alarm's sensor.

turn the sensitivityu all the way up, then turn it down incemently. to test for sensitivity, bang on your windshield with a fist. If the alarm goes off, keep turning it down and repeat. If you get the warning sequence. a bunch a beeps, turn it down about 1/8 of a turn after that. then it should be all set.

Also If CC installed it, Viper is made be DEI, and all DEI products carry a life time warrenty as well does the CC labor, take it back to them and let them deal with it, and don't leave till your satisfied!

RE: jeep meanings vid

Unfortunately if a someone wants your jeep, alarm or not they will take it. Alarms are pretty easy to find and dismantle. I found a better alternative DON'T LEAVE ANYTHING IN YOUR JEEP and install a kill switch. Kill switches are very easy to hide and a thief usually will not spend 20mins searching for a little wire that could be anywhere.

jps4jeep said:
Close TC but no cigar! The Viper 500 esp shock sensor is going to be clear, and will be about th size of a matchbox.

Ok so they have shrunk since I've been out of that gig(I don't care to admit how long it's been :lol: ), should've guessed that. Are they at least still being mounted to stock wiring harnesses?

judge09 said:
Unfortunately if a someone wants your jeep, alarm or not they will take it. Alarms are pretty easy to find and dismantle. I found a better alternative DON'T LEAVE ANYTHING IN YOUR JEEP and install a kill switch. Kill switches are very easy to hide and a thief usually will not spend 20mins searching for a little wire that could be anywhere.

If a good security system is in place, it will completely deter the average punk trying to steal the vehicle for a joyride or steal the stereo - which is what the majority of threats are anyway - inexperienced punks.

TwistedCopper said:
jps4jeep said:
Close TC but no cigar! The Viper 500 esp shock sensor is going to be clear, and will be about th size of a matchbox.

Ok so they have shrunk since I've been out of that gig(I don't care to admit how long it's been :lol: ), should've guessed that. Are they at least still being mounted to stock wiring harnesses?

judge09 said:

If a good security system is in place, it will completely deter the average punk trying to steal the vehicle for a joyride or steal the stereo - which is what the majority of threats are anyway - inexperienced punks.

I have also noticed that alarm stickers on the window is a good deterant.

Hey Greenreaper!!!!

The past three vehicles I've owned, I've had alarms in all them. In each vehicle, they have always installed the shock sensor on the fire wall. Isn't that the best location for a shock sensor since it will better sense a shock to the vehicle rather than it being ziptied to a wiring harness? You'd think that if it's on a wiring harness, it wouldn't give you a true reading of a blow to the vehicle since the harness can move and isn't solid to the vehicle. Also, are you absolutely sure it's your shock sensor that is setting off the alarm? You can usually tell by counting the number of flashes of the led. I've had the same problem in the past with faulty hood/door pins and also crappy motion sensors. I also had a problem with water getting into a hoodpin which would set off the alarm.

Back