Just what they needed...

i see your argument, but i also see both sides. people hold athletes in such high regard, but forget that they are human too. in short, if you wanna play basketball like kobe bryant, or hockey like gretzky, go for it, good role models for that. but as far as being a good person, look up to a teacher, a parent someone like that. its a black eye for sports. but then, if it isnt a goal, basket or a run scored, there isnt a whole lot of good news in sports anyways.

CV boot replacement

Yeah it was horrible, sad and funny all in one. Because the worst fights in all of sports are Baskeball fights. And of course ESPN had it looped tonight. I saw the brawl like 20 times.

I understand the "Holding players to a higher standard" arguement, and I agree. But everyone in this incident needs to be punished fan and player alike. It's the degredation of the pro athelete. Today you have Kobe, Artest, Joe Horn, Terrell Owens, Ray Lewis, Jeremy Shockey, and Tie Dome. The difference is: Gretzky, Barry Sanders, Joe Montana, Magic Johnson, Jerry Rice and Ray Bourke, would NEVER have been involved in that crap.

But I am happy that atleast Ron Artest got punked by Ben Wallace! Damn that was a mean push.

Seems like these days we are losing alot of our classy athletes. Darn shame. These people need to remember they are in the public eye, and might be someones role model. Sad day in professional sports.

motor swap week

Well it is obviously not only the players' faults. The players, the fans... all real class acts.

It just seems that the US is starting to act like some of these "World Cup" teams that used to shock us as we watched clips of riots years ago. Now we see them in our own cities.

As for holding the athletes to a higher standard, I expect them to live up to an acceptable standard.

I expect a guy making millions of dollars to play a game to be able to act adult enough to understand that fans are fans and ignore them. I truly believe when something like that happened, short of a fan actually charging an athlete, they should be fired immediately.

How many of you have jobs where you would get fired immediately if you got into a fight with a customer because they called you names or threw trash at you? We are expected to conduct ourselves properly at work. Why are they not? Because they are money makers.

I know I'd be looking for a job. As should those idiots.

We don't hold them to a higher standard, they are allowed to get away with things that hardly anyone else could get away with at their places of employment. It's pathetic.

RE: 74 CJ5 Heater

This is proof that an athlete should never be looked upon as a role model, at least not for simply being a professional athlete. Most of these guys have the rapper mentality. A million dollars in their pocket and they still want to act like they are back in the ghetto slinging rock on the corner down the street from their grandmas house. You can't even blame the spoiled little punks for it anymore.....it's the fans fault now. It's no real news to hear about the latest athlete to be charged with rape, murder, drug offenses....you name it, the fans don't seem to care as long as the ball still goes in the hoop or over the fence. Which is fine, that's why you watch the sport. But the fans voices are the only ones loud enough to make a change. Stop giving your money to teams that hire people like this, and they will stop being hired. Simple as that. Don't demonize the commission for punishing these jerks just because it might affect your teams rankings.

Shocks for the money

Twisted, I couldn't agree more... I have had people being nasty, rude, and even mean to me at work, this does not give me the right to vault over the meat display case and start whaling on them... If I was rude to them, that would be potential grounds for termination, let alone assault...

Deary deary me, what a lovely mess my hometown area has gotten into now...

And did anyone catch the South Carolina/Clemson game today? These aren't even pros!! And I was just reading Friday a quote from Holtz about how he thought he had improved the discipline (sp?) during his tenure. A sad way for him to go out..........

RE: Brake Warning Light reset

I dont know but u have to like Artest he is one of us.On the local news here in indy the showed him driving on in a TJ with a skyjacker lift. LoL just thought i would throw that in. Also i think the fans were just as much at fault . None of u guys can tell me if somebody threw a beer in your face u wouldnt go off. High paid athlete or not we are all people thet get mad.

i agree that the fans were just as much at fault, but people put athletes on a pedestal to look at simply because they're athletes. and what we tend to forget is that the majority of them came from backgrounds like us, or worse. they are no better of a person than you or i, they're simply much better at their respective sport.

but like i said, i do fault the fans just as much. you pay to go see a game, it entitles you to watch it, not to physically abuse the players. of the 4 major sports, basketball players are the least protected while on their bench. sure we like to say how athletes are all over-paid babies, but at no time do any of them deserve to feel threatened while they're playing, its simply not right.

looks like ron artest will get his requested time off...

Ran out of gas: did I hurt my Jeep?

The only way you can truely get a rise out of these guys is to mess with their money. A REAL fine, or suspension. A significant portion of there earnings. Suspension for a year or two.

I think Artest should be banned, period....done, finito. Same goes for that other guy who jumped up into the stands. (bench warmer) Both the fans and players involved should've been arrested.

Guys, I've had dreams of jumping over the counter and ruining a customer who crosses the line.... but I never would...well, not right now anyway....okay, maybe someday. I'll just keep a list, and upon retirement, exact my revenge at that time :mrgreen: .

Just like going to the zoo...

People deliberately antagonize and taunt the animals, then feign surprise and shock when the animals fight back. Give me a break, already!

There is blame enough to share…Grow up -- fans and players!!!!

Perhaps Plexiglas barriers need to be installed around the courts to separate the savages -- after the fashion of pro hockey rinks.

Hockey! Now there is a real game – where fighting is a recognized and beloved part of the fun.

Regards,

(Looking completely innocent and not wanting to stir the pot or anything.)

:lol:

Gadget

Ah yes, but there's no hockey to enjoy this year...

Inspector-Gadget said:
Just like going to the zoo...

People deliberately antagonize and taunt the animals, then feign surprise and shock when the animals fight back. Give me a break, already!

As much as the players were out of control the lovely select detroit fans are the true ones to blame. I dont know about you guys but if I was being screamed at all day at work non-stop and then someone chucked a beer at me and hit me close to the face ....damn straight I would whoop some ass. The given the hostile situation that was going on, if some of those loco fans ran on the court trying to cause harm I wouldn't think twice about taking them out. Who know what they might do. It was a terrible day for the NBA but I dont believe the players should be made examples of. Give them the typical 5-6 game (or what ever it is) for entering the stands and let the police handle the assault charges.

Back