Bad day for Michigan Jeepers...

Saurian

39.5s

I recently joined the MichiganJeepers.com, of course, I will not be leaving all the Jeepz peepz, but between the 2 sites, I have plenty of reading to keep up on... But it's been a heck of a Thanksgiving season... First this...

http://michiganjeepers.com/eve/ubb.x?a=tpc&s=3941011&f=130109322&m=383106883

Then this...

http://michiganjeepers.com/eve/ubb.x?a=tpc&s=3941011&f=130109322&m=574109883

Then I was heading home from getting my next weeks schedule (5 days up NORTH!!!), hit the brakes, and nothing! Had to swerve out of the way to avoid rear-ending the car in front of me, ended up slamming into a curb, I'm sitting here with a purple swollen collarbone, and I cannot sit up straight because my back makes me want to scream, Jeep's fine, I'm fine, quite sore, but all old aches and pains... So, to all my Jeepz friends which I hope to meet someday, keep the Jeep maintained, and drive safe safe safe!

Will be looking at brake system tomorrow in the daylight, had to E-brake myself home, that thing really sucks...

west coast

Dude a so sorry to hear you are hurt! Heck with the jeep just knowing your able to post is a blessing after such an event. Hope you can get er fixed with out to much trouble and I will pray for you a quick and ez recovery! tug

RE: Regarding the Site...

Well, I'm doing OK, still cannot stand or sit up straight, but the collarbone's no longer swollen or purple, must have been where the seatbelt hit... It hit at just such an angle that I stopped, rather than just jumping the curb, although that WAS a pretty high curb... I'm gonna go out and see about making some repairs, and take her for a test drive, will post when I get back regarding my progress...

Thanks for the kind thoughts, I love this board and all it's people... If you haven't read into the post links, check 'em out, I got out with my Jeep and myself intact, the others were not quite so fortunate, but everyone's gonna make it :)

Saurian

That is all too crazy. The holiday weekend brings more people on the road, hence more accidents unfortunately. These seem due to faulty parts, how unfortunate.

That rolled jeep looks lucky to be alive! I'm sorry to hear about your own misfortune.

Stay home and heal for as long as you can. Sore muscles and bones come back to haunt you if you don't let them heal right!

Thinking of you in Michigan.
LJF

RE: tire choice for a tj

Glad you just hit a curb and are still with us partner!

RE: Thanks

OK, ya know the metal part on the brake system which the plastic filler tank sits on? And the big fat black metal thing it connects to? Upon inspection, a bolt broke off, and they became seperated. The little plastic tank also became seperated from it's metal thing, found the little punch pins in the engine bay in a puddle of brake fluid (what a find, huh?!?). Whichever was the larger problem, it caused me to lose all brake fluid when I hit, sending me into that lovely curb at about 30 MPH... I am feeling better this morning, I can now sit up straight, but my back still feels like there is glass in it. All components in the front-end of the Jeep appear to be running normally.. . Thanks all for your concern, I'm just glad I didn't plow into anyone, and that I am, for the most part, OK, though in searing pain this AM... Going up North tomorrow, I think that'll do me good, nothing more pressing to do than read some books, drink a little, and place logs on the fire for warmth...

RE: I have a problem

Mingez, goodness me, I can't believe you remembered... That was about a month, maybe more ago, but yeah... I was doing some wiring in my roomate's drop ceiling, we were repairing some old fire-prone runs, standing on my drum stool when it slipped... I cut my foot open, well no, tore the skin off the ball of my foot, sliced my hands open on the ceiling bar, twisted my knee, messed up my rotator cuff again, and for the billionth time in my life, aggravated my back... It's prone to issues; most people have 24 vertebrae in their spine. I get 23, because the vertebrae above the sacrum are fused together, the very lowest 2 in my back. This causes a loss of flexibility, and a large amount of hurt whenever I do something which requires the extra flex, such as sitting under a tree in the woods, falling, slamming Jeep into curbs, etc... Need to see my doctor on that one, it's grinding now, possible it may be building up to fuse to the sacrum... But that's neither here nor there.

I am doing pretty well, I can stand up straight now, although it still feels like broken plates grinding around in my spine. Going up north tomorrow after some pre-Christmas wish list window shopping with my Mom (Mumbly's Off-Road here we come!), gonna spend the next 4 days filling the woodstove, reading some good books, and sipping on some smooth Irish whisky, should be right as rain upon my return...

Jeepy is well, have not had a problem since. Cannot believe that bolt would snap, and the pins would have popped, that's really odd... Just a bad day to be in a Jeep, I guess... I gotta be to work in 5 hours, just got home from work an hour ago, so I'll talk to you all Thursday/Friday when I get in...

Oh yeah... Make a Michigan with your right hand. Give or take, I'm going right between the first knuckles of your index and middle fingers. If you see snow on your weather forecast blowing through that area, I'll be happy and peaceful...

Saurian said:
OK, ya know the metal part on the brake system which the plastic filler tank sits on? And the big fat black metal thing it connects to? Upon inspection, a bolt broke off, and they became seperated. The little plastic tank also became seperated from it's metal thing, found the little punch pins in the engine bay in a puddle of brake fluid (what a find, huh?!?). Whichever was the larger problem, it caused me to lose all brake fluid when I hit, sending me into that lovely curb at about 30 MPH... I am feeling better this morning, I can now sit up straight, but my back still feels like there is glass in it. All components in the front-end of the Jeep appear to be running normally.. . Thanks all for your concern, I'm just glad I didn't plow into anyone, and that I am, for the most part, OK, though in searing pain this AM... Going up North tomorrow, I think that'll do me good, nothing more pressing to do than read some books, drink a little, and place logs on the fire for warmth...

There you go getting all technical again, Saurian! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hey, man, I'm glad to hear that you're alright and the ol' Jeep seems to have come through slightly-scathed, too. Be careful out there, man! I'm sitting by the soothing heat of the woodstove right now, so I know that will be theraputic (sp?). May be coming up Michigan way soon (unplanned - mother-in-law issues) tho' I'll be on the other coast (Holland). Just sit by that fire, sip your favorite, and HEAL!!!!

Catch you on the flip side.....

mud

RE: Re: cj7 trannies: T5, World Class T5, gearing

Greetings and salutations, all, it's... *insert term less than good, but better than awful, signifying that I would rather be up north still* to be back in lovely Madison Heights... Well, besides the fact that my Jeep, and associated brakes are behaving themselves perfectly, the trip up north also did me well... People in Northern Michigan are just so much friendlier than the Metro Detroit area... Little mom and pop party stores where the person behind the counter is willing to make small talk with you, so that even if you entered in a horrible mood, you cannot help but leave with a smile on your face. As if you could be in a horrible mood in a land of 2 lane asphalt highways weaving in and out of trees, where roads are created of dirt, and the biggest concern is " do I need to put a log on the fire now, or after I finish this shot... " Where your home away from home is a little tarpapered mish-mash of everyone's odds and ends from the last 50 years or so... A little thing called Glen's Market, the Krogers, Farmer Jack, Albertsons, Meijers, Food Lion, or whatever supermarket you are familiar with of the Northern Michigan area, where the people are nice, 10 cents of every dollar you spend goes to a local high school, the produce is fresh, and shopping is something that you can take your time with, because you are maybe one of 15 people in the whole building, and you are not in a hurry... Or the Mio Ace Hardware, where we are looking for fuses and other odds and ends, and the clerk asks us if we need help like 3 times, not because he thinks that we are stealing, but because he wants to make sure that we find everything that we need... Or Ray's Mug and Jug, formerly Ma's Mug and Jug, formerly Liefs Mug and Jug, a place where you can find anything you need, mind-altering beverage is a Michigan Driver's Licence away, and the lady behind the counter is more than willing to listen to your life story and give you hers, because she is in just as little a hurry as you are... Or the Mio Dam, on the AuSable river, which is not only generating power in a joint venture of Consumers Energy and the Presque Isle Electric Co-op, but also creates Mio Pond, where there is a campsite and pump open to the public for the procurement of water... That's something that I have not seen in any of the states that I have visited, an actual device that pulls water from the ground for you to drink, or take with you, free of charge... Yes, with things like this, I don't see how one could be in a bad mood...

Sitting there in the cabin, listening to classic rock on the Bear (105.1, Cheboygan, Petoskey), sipping on either Crown Royal, or Emmets Irish Cream with Eggnog, reading my books, writing about what I am thinking, while it snowed outside, and just shooting the breeze with my buddy Kevin was extremely therapeutic, both for my damaged back, and my tormented mind. Upon midday Tuesday, my back and shoulders had subsided to a dull ache, by that night, I felt back up to 100%. I was able to relax like no other, problem is, I have not been up there since April, and in case you can't tell, going up north is very important to me. So, besides a sore throat due to the dust, and cold weather, I am back to my good old self, wish I could take you all up there to get a glimpse of what my words, articulate though I am told, cannot possibly touch upon. A little nothing-much-to-look-at shack full of old furniture and miscellanious crap, on a dirt road in the middle of nowhere, in one of the poorest counties in Michigan to the untrained eye, but everything that I have described, and a billion times more exist up there.

Well, my patient Jeepzters, I have taken up enough of Terry's hard drive with this one, so I vanish mysteriously... Re: those whom this post was originally written about, Tonka is home and well, the Jeep looks awful, it's totalled, but we're working together on that one, and BigRuffToys4X4 is in the process of reconstruction. Thank you all for your kind thoughts on my mending, I'm glad that all of you are the first ones that I get to share my good mood with. Stay cool, dear friends that I have not yet met, but look forward to doing so someday.

Back