OT: Stereo problems (home stereo)

dingus

hey folks, just figured i'd post this little shot in the dark, i figure there's enough brains on this board we can figure this out together. i am having a little problem with my stereo here in my room at school. i have it connected to my computer's sound card, with a cable that converts the 1/8" headphone out jack into the red/white RCA cables for my SONY shelf stereo system. i have this thing cranked up good every now and then, and for only 100 bucks (circuit city display model) i'm surprised this dumb thing still turns on.

here is a pic of the RCA inputs:

image-missing.png

that little yellow clip is the semi-solution to my problems, as the cables up front physically need to be squeezed in order to maintain connection. right now, only one channel works (right), however if i mess around with the cables, i can sometimes get it to play out of the left speaker or both, if i'm really lucky. (both speakers work perfectly when using the cd player built into the shelf unit) prior to the yellow clip, i managed to get this thing to work pretty well by squeezing coins between the red and white cable ends...

my question... how do i fix whatever's wrong on the inside? i'm not scared to open this thing up and take a look, i'm just not sure if i'll find anything that is servicable...?

thanks for any help...
-nate

RE: Electronic disconnecting front antiroll bar. I want one

I would venture to say that it can probably be fixed with a soldering gun if it is a bad connection on the RCA jacks (or new jacks). I'd open it up, what've ya got to lose?

RE: Electronic disconnecting front antiroll bar. I want one

well that thing sure came apart in a mess... thanks to mass production, the only way to get to the dumb jacks inside was to take the whole thing apart. after getting frustrated beyond relief, i just went out to walmart n picked up their nicest set of computer speakers (80 watts, 2.1 setup w/ remote) by creative for like 80 bucks... works for me.

image-missing.png

image-missing.png

Inspector Gadget looks at yellow clip, cocks head from side to side while making simian-like sounds of problem investigation and analysis and then deduces the rudimentary tool solution.

Dingus, you will never get that system to work using that wimpy yellow Barbie hair-clip. You need to replace that yellow clip with one or more of these:

image-missing.png

That will fix it!

More Power!!!!

Tool Time Gadget :mrgreen:

RE: Re: RE: Anyone in the Pittsburg, PA area?

Could it just be that you have bad RCA cables? My old stereo used to do the same thing. Pulled it apart and found that one of the solders had come apart.

RE: Thought this was cool

I've got some of those creative speakers for my computer, too (little different - still creative). Those things work great!

Back