Hi & Help w/ yj wiring

sHotWheels

New to the site w/ a big hi and hello.

:?: I was tinkering and wiring up a dome light for the 92 YJ. Well when it was time to test I had the tunes on and then nothing. I shorted something out. :oops: The radio doesn't work the interior light doesn't work, but the rest of the dash works and it runs.
I checkd the fuses by the steering column and they are all fine. Where else do I look? any suggestions?

Next I will try to short something out when I hook up the fog lights. :roll:

Thanks in advance.
Sean

RE: Re: New Year

sHotWheels said:
New to the site w/ a big hi and hello.

:?: I was tinkering and wiring up a dome light for the 92 YJ. Well when it was time to test I had the tunes on and then nothing. I shorted something out. :oops: The radio doesn't work the interior light doesn't work, but the rest of the dash works and it runs.
I checkd the fuses by the steering column and they are all fine. Where else do I look? any suggestions?

Next I will try to short something out when I hook up the fog lights. :roll:

Thanks in advance.
Sean

Sean,

Welcome to the site! :D

First off were you trying to use the factory harness connections? I have a shop manual that may help but won't be able to get it 'til morning. It's at the body shop where I am restoring my YJ.

After removing the dash I found all kinds of hack wiring jobs. I spent the best part of two days tracing and repairing and the stuff then rewrapping to look like OEM. I added a new circuit for my new backup lights because they require more current and a relay that the original circuit did not have.

All my repairs were made by soldering and heat shrink tubing to insulate.

Be sure to spend the extra four bucks for the recomended relay for those driving lights. :wink:

mike

Spindle Bearings need replacing

I tried to connect the dome light to the door light by splicing it in. When I released the button for my door, my radio turned off. I don't think that was a factory option in '92.

I am scared to look any furthur under the dash to see what kind of crap job the previous owner did while wiring the alarm and Kenwood stereo. Heck, only 2 of the 4 speakers worked.

Any help would be good and yes I will be bringing out the meter to test for juice.

RE: wheeling withdrawal!!!

OMG :shock: what a dogs breakfast under the dash.
I went hunting for a reason for no juice. I started to trace the wires and got diverted by other wires. Went to the back of the stereo and started to trace those lines. Well ... not only are the power lines connected to other wires, they also change color under a ball of "hockey tape". I followed the speaker wires and they are connected from the stereo to some nice Pheonix Gold wires, than they are routed around the passenger side to the driver side in the back but are cut short of the speaker by 12" and connected to really crappy speaker wire. When I looked at the front d-side speaker they were connected w/ clip leads (aka roach clips)

I am really tempted to pull the dash and start from scratch. :evil:

oh yah ... I still have no interior lights and radio.

Well, I'm absolutely no help at all, but I feel your pain. Just wanted to throw ya a Jeepz wave and welcome to the site!

RE: Re: RE: Re: Step into the Wayback Machine with me.....

Hi-Ya, sHotWheels,

I am grasping at straws on this question...

(1) Would a 92 YJ have more fuses or a fuse box of some sort under the hood? If, "yes," check those fuses.

(2) Have you checked the radio power lead for a blown "inline" fuse? Aftermarket vehicle radios typically have a fuse installed in the power lead. Perhaps, the inline fuse is within the ball of hockey tape.

Regards,

Gadget

RE: Re: RE: Re: Step into the Wayback Machine with me.....

Inspector-Gadget said:
Would a 92 YJ have more fuses or a fuse box of some sort under the hood? If, "yes," check those fuses.

That's correct. Check the black fuse box under the hood.

Steering box, comment & question.

well I did check the fuses under the hood and they are all fine too, as well as the fuse in the back of the stereo.

the crappy thing about not having any music, now I can hear a ton of other things squeeking and making noise.

thanks and I will keep hunting

Hi,

sHotWheels said:
I tried to connect the dome light to the door light by splicing it in.

When I bought a soundbar, this is also how I connected the dome light: by splicing into the wiring to the driver's side footwell light.

One of two things happened when you opened that door:
1) The fuse for the dome lights blew due to a short circuit
2) The fuse was not present or not correctly sized, and you instead melted a connector or the wire itself running to the lights due to a short circuit. Though this is less likely, as there had to have been a fuse on the dome light circuit (unless the wiring was altered by someone), and the wire wouldv'e taken some time to burn up (which would have made for a nice smell and smoke effect).

-Nick :!:

Back