Google SMS-Am I the ONLY person who didn't know about this?

mingez

This is totally cool...really. If you knew about this already then forgive me, but I didn't and I use it all the time now.

Google has a thing called "SMS" that allows you to text something that you want to know the answer to, such as: Pizza parlor locations in a zipcode, the population of Bismark, or the definition of the word "Ubiquitious".

I needed to locate the nearest Starbucks in Albuquerque's westside, and it gave me the addresses and #'s to the 3 nearest locations. Soooo cool.

You can even look up residential phone #'s..try it!

http://www.google.com/sms/index.html

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Test your subconscience!

Cool. Very cool.

Bounty__Hunter said:
You can just plug a 10 digit phone number into www.google.com , try your own.

Uhhh... yeah, but I'm talking about cell phones. You can be driving around town, and send a text message from your phone and get an immense amount of info. Like the population of Istanbul, or the phone and address of your favorite sushi bar. :D

Oops, I missed the "that allows you to text something" part. Oh well, I threw something else out in case there's one person that didn't know. I'm sure that SMS will come in handy.

Flat Fender Conversion

That is awesome! I had that idea a couple years ago... I thought if I could just send a text message somewhere and get a reply back with the Cubs score. I don't see anything about sports, but if it doesn't do it, it can't be far off. Very cool.

Well I knew nothing about this so you weren't the only one. I wonder if there is a charge from either the phone company or the other end for using this? I will have to try it sometime. I'm always out and about and needing numbers or information and have to 411 which I know costs me.

Lady

Interesting... I'm getting shipped off to Lansing for a few days, haven't been there in almost 15 years since a cub scout trip to the Capitol, so naturally, I have no idea what's around there, this could prove useful...

I wonder if there is a charge from either the phone company or the other end for using this?

No, there is no charge. It's just a text message! Only way you get charged for it is if your phone plan has a text message charge or a max text message alottment.

RE: Ice Storm 2005....HELP!!!!!!!

other cool things are conversions.

try to google "16 gallons in ounces"

you can also google your tracking numbers on fedex and ups and it brings you right to the status page.

also does math....

google "the square root of 9 billion"

also say you are just looking for PDF files, and nothing else..
you can filter out all other file types by adding file type to your search.

example, google "daily menu filetype:pdf"

im sure there are tons more tricks too

Way cool when I have time I am going to program that number in my cell as a contact and try it!

Lady

Mingez I finally tried this out and programmed Google into my phone. I can't seem to make the local business search work for me no matter how I enter it. Maybe not such a good tool after all, at least not for blondes. lol Ty for the info though, maybe one day!

Lady

RE: Re: RE: "Status", post counts, and problems th

Thats so cool I never knew about any of that. imagine what our grandkids will have in 100 years

Back