I Don't Know What to Say.......

http://www.kansas.com/mld/kansas/10697228.htm

I knew this Sheriff from when I was married to my ex, he was a great guy.

The part that stuns me is that it was my cousin (very distant, but a relative nonetheless) that shot and killed him. I don't know what to say, I'm shocked and speechless. I want to pray for my cousin, but I can't. To take a life is the worst thing a person can do, but it just makes it that much worse that he took the life of a Law Enforcement Officer, a father, a husband and a mother's son. Sheriff Samuels was a wonderful, wonderful man. In and out of law enforcement, he was the kind of guy you'd always want on your side, by your side. And now someone I'm related to took him away. Words can't express my sorrow and disdain.

NW event

Our prayers will go out to the family and friends of this fallen hero who paid the ultimate sacrifice in serving his community.

Thanks for posting this, SW.

RE: I Don

Thats a real shame. Alot of credit should be given to the police force for putting their lives in danger to protect ours.

Have you ever had Muddy Nutz?

I'm so sorry sparky, stay strong brother. Prayers coming your way and for his family.

God Bless,

Sully

it IS a shame... and... it is not wrong to pray for your cousin, despite what he did wrong... you can pray that his life be turned around and his mind be turned for the better from this situation.

Chat room Sunday at 9:00 est

Not even sure how to respond to that Sparky. That's a tough one.

Praying for him having a change of heart is about the best I would be able to do in your situation. I will say a prayer for you and the Sherriff's loved ones.

Truly a sad story.

RE: Re: Can

Snitty said:
it IS a shame... and... it is not wrong to pray for your cousin, despite what he did wrong... you can pray that his life be turned around and his mind be turned for the better from this situation.

I know it's not wrong to pray for him, and I've tried. But everytime I start, I get so angry with him that I start crying and end up praying that they give him the death sentence. It's odd how this has affected me. I haven't seen him in probably 15 years, and don't really even remember much about him. I met Matt (the Sheriff) a few times, and he was just one of those guys that you instantly became great friends with. I probably haven't seen him in about 5 or 6 years, aside from meeting him on the street in the patrol car as I passed through town. That's something different about Matt than other Sheriffs. Usually, it is just the Sheriff Deputies that patrol and do the actual police work, while the Sheriff himself handles the business end of the job. Matt was always a "hands-on" Sheriff, actually patrolling the streets as much as his deputies. That's why he was at the house that day serving the warrant. He never sent his deputies to do something he wouldn't do himself.

I know in time I'll get around this, and start to be able to pray that my cousin gets his act together, or at least show some remorse for it....the Kansas Supreme Court just recently declared the death penalty law unconstitutional, and have put it on hold until they can do more research to see whether they keep it or not. I'm a very strong proponent of the death penalty (going so far as to support it for even those "career criminals" that use the prison's revolving door system), and I hope they get it worked out in time to give it to my cousin. All cop killers should die in the most horribly painful way possible.

RE: shot gun seat

Did some more looking in my mom's geneaology book, and found out that I was also related to Sheriff Samuels. He was my mom's 3rd or 4th cousin...don't know how all that 2nd, 3rd cousin stuff works. Anyway, that also makes him related to the kid that shot him!!!!

They've done a few stories in the paper about Matt and also about Scott. Matt went out to the house to pick Scott up because he didn't want any other officers to pick him up. He knew he and Scott had a good repoire from other times he had arrested him, and thought Scott might be injured if another officer tried to arrest him!! And look what happened......

Well Sparky, I hope you aren't taking too much of that on yourself. Relatives can be troubled and most of the time there isn't a think any of us can do.

You'll feel what you feel, and the emotions and thoughts will run their course...such is life. Stay strong, and don't beat yourself up over your relation to Scott. And Snitty was right, praying for a troubled person, be they a murderer or otherwise, doesn't mean you condone the behaviors or attrocities committed.

RE: NW event

mingez said:
Well Sparky, I hope you aren't taking too much of that on yourself. Relatives can be troubled and most of the time there isn't a think any of us can do.

You'll feel what you feel, and the emotions and thoughts will run their course...such is life. Stay strong, and don't beat yourself up over your relation to Scott. And Snitty was right, praying for a troubled person, be they a murderer or otherwise, doesn't mean you condone the behaviors or attrocities committed.

I have been praying for Scott's family in order for them to find some comfort and solace, knowing that they weren't ultimately responsible. I've done a lot of praying for Matt's family, too. Scott has a little brother, probably 9 or 10 years old....it's a terrible thing for him to have to grow up with, knowing what his brother did. And, I'm still praying that Scott meets an agonizingly painful death, although I know that's wrong, I still do it. I know God will ultimately judge him, despite any judgement given by man, and that will be a just judgement of him. I still have a lot of anger towards him, and in time, perhaps that anger will go away. When I want it to. Right now, I don't want it to, and won't let it.

Thanks for the kind words, Mingez. They help, believe me.

Back