Long Night- Required Recovery

White

OK, First of all Hypsie Gap is open to winter travel.
They have Posted NO WINTER MAINTENCE.
So This is -legal- Offroading.
With that said I decided to take a shot at it. Negative 2 degrees and Winds 30-40 mph.
Snow drifts to near 4 feet.
Long story short -I never stood a chance.
image-missing.png

As fas as I could get. Tried to back up and it sank like the Titanic.
image-missing.png

image-missing.png
High centered.. Not looking good, nothing to winch off of. :(
Hate to do it, GOTTA CALL for help.
image-missing.png
Not a oasis, It help on the way ( about 3 hrs after I first got stuck.)
image-missing.png

Thats Mr. Help aka Bruce.
ok so the recovery vehicle takes a few tugs and even being frozen in 4hi he still manages to get me out.
BUT right behind him is a big ditch ( hidden by a drift).
image-missing.png

image-missing.png

And with me on semi firm ground its my turn to pull him out. He remains in the ditch after 4-5 tugs but with his foot to the floor and the both of us sliding toward solid ground were almost out.
image-missing.png
ok were out.
image-missing.png

Untill next time Kidz..........

OMG, i'm cold just lookin' at that. Sorry man, but it makes for great dinner conversation.

Reminds me of the night I spent at Cheney lake high-centered on a frozen snow drift that was hidden my a non-frozen drift with a burnt out clutch in the old Toy. Wind chill -30 F and 10 miles from the nearest house (before the days of cell-phone ownage by me). I huddled up on the floorboard and prayed I didn't run out of gas to keep the heater going all night. Around 8am, I braved the winds and walked 3 miles to the nearest road, just as a farmer was driving by. He took me home, and it was 3 days later before my buddy could come tow me out and home in his F-150 with 6" lift and 36's.....he barely made the drifts himself. Then, a month later after getting the clutch fixed, I ended up high-centered in a 4-foot drift on top of a gas meter for a large alfalfa mill. Only this time, wind-chills were -60, but I was only two miles from home....so I walked home and called a tow-truck. Best $60 I ever spent, because I didn't have to freeze my cajones off digging out! Lesson learned....never go wheeling in the snow alone or without a cell phone.

_(OIIIIO)_Jeeper said:
Need to keep the Jeep!

sorry...couldn't resist! :twisted:

no.. need to buy a hi-lift.. You could have gotten yourself out with a hi-lift. I've done thse same thing.. lift the front end up, and back it off the jack... or put something under the tires to get you off that hi-center. A Hi-lift should be in everyone's toolkit.......

yes, my hi-lift is definatly my friend. it's helped me out of all sorts of trouble that I manage to get myself into

I have also learned to not go wheeling in the snow by myself (especially when it's really really cold out).

Glad to hear that you are alright!!

RE: Re: RE: Long Nite- Required Recovery

I went wheeling in the snow on sunday and that was just to get out of my complex to the store.

The highlift was there. But with no solid ground (Ice/Snow) and no where to go after I jacked it out.
Behind Me was nothing but more snow.
I had a few trees in the distance but that would of pulled me further into the drifts.
Trust me, If there was any easy way of getting out, I would have done it.
I would of just dug it out, but exposure is the limiting factor.
Safer to just call for help.
I could see a jacking procedure gone bad with me in the newspaper as man Found Dead.

well congrats on getting out of there
but you never know what you can do unless you push your limits :D

- for jeep thrillz i ride topless :D and sometimes so does my jeep -

White said:
I would of just dug it out, but exposure is the limiting factor.
Safer to just call for help.
I could see a jacking procedure gone bad with me in the newspaper as man Found Dead.

Now that is very true.

I wasn't saying that a hi-lift neccessarily would have worked in your situation...just saying they are incredible little tools--if you have a place to go to :(

Back