personal recs. on tires

raptor_pilot

RE: BH and Sully...gen chat

Well folks here we go again. I got some money and its time to buy tires. I know I want 31x10.5's. I have been doing research but I was wondering what all of you thought about the tires you have/had. Good ones, bad ones. I want a tire that'll pretty much do it all with a decently aggressive tread.
Mike

RE: I

Check out the Bridgestone Dueller "Revos" at tirerack.com. That's what I'm runnin' (DD) and has unique tread design.

Come Chat With Me!

I like the BFG mud terrains, although they are kind of spendy. They last a long time and work very well on the road and off road. The only thing I ever had problems with is in thick mud they don't always like to clean out all that well.

Khumo's...I have heard very good things about as well. Although, I have never owned a set myself. They are priced well and are also very good on and off-road.

Right now I'm running plain old TSL's on the truck pictured in my sig(not sure this models made in a 31" though). They are VERY nice tires, but they do tend to wear a little fast and are a bit more spendy. But they are very one of the best for off road performance. They clean out nicely and everything.

Superswamper Iroks are also a good tire. I've got a TON of friends that are running them, and I am amazed. For how well they are priced they do extremely well.

I've got a lot more oppinions on tires, so I'll post more later.

MTR's suck in the mud!!!! Great besides that... Go with a radial super swamper (your choice) for a good all around tire thats really good in the mud and rocks....

I've got dunlop mud rovers in the size you're looking at, very pleased all around. they were pretty cheap, about the same price as kumho's would be, so for the money, i'd say one of the two tires. no personal experience with kumho's, but i know a few kids with them and they swear by them, and there's always the reviews that south was kind enough to post. dunlops have held up well, i've had them for about 12k miles, and they still have decent tread. work ok in the snow and rain, not great, but as long as you keep that in mind while driving, you're fine. and they clean out well in the mud, and if you air down properly, work superbly on rocks as well. no complaints. my next set of tires will probably be the same dunlops (hopefully 33's instead) or i'll try the kumho's out.

RE: XJ springs 3" or 4.5" lift

Everything I read about the Super Swamper TRXUS MT says it is the best mud tire for a daily driver on the market. No personal experience, but I thought I should mention. If you do a search on them and look for reviews you'll be impressed.

They're reasonably priced, they are a true 31" tall (very rare), and they perform.

I would have bought a set if I hadn't found my Goodyear MTR's dirt cheap on the 'net.

The MTR's are exellent too, but much more $$$

Swamper TSL Radials, Kuhmo MT's, and BFG MT's, all great tires. The Kuhmos' and Swampers will be more bang for the buck, but the BFG's last a long time if you drive much on the road.

MT/R's lack in the mud and won't last near as long onroad. Too much $$ as well.

RE: heater

I would slow up and watch the used (parts) tire ads under clubs near you. Somebody's always selling used 31s to up grade. Figure $150. (or less) for 4 tires in good condition. I waited about 9 months and finally came across used 32" Swampers for my Willys, $50.00 for 4 (didn't need the 5th).

When I upgraded to 33s, I was going to throw my 31s away. Somebody came into the store 5 minutes later and gave me $150. for them 8) .

TwistedCopper said:
Everything I read about the Super Swamper TRXUS MT says it is the best mud tire for a daily driver on the market. No personal experience, but I thought I should mention. If you do a search on them and look for reviews you'll be impressed.

They're reasonably priced, they are a true 31" tall (very rare), and they perform.

I would have bought a set if I hadn't found my Goodyear MTR's dirt cheap on the 'net.

I'm running 34 (true) by 12.5 TRXUS on my Jeep and have found them to be a great off-road tire (better than BFG). I don't put alot of miles on my Jeep but they look to have better wearability than what I've found in Goodyear tires.

RE: Power distribution

If you want a good all around tire.. Pirelli Scorpion A/T is my choice.. glued to the pavement in all conditions, agressive enough for sand, gravel, rocks & mud. I had them on my Mazda and my ZJ and you couldn't pay me to take another tire. They are quiet on the highway, but have a somewhat agressive tread.

Re: RE: personal recs. on tires

Does anyone have any experience with Mickey Thompson Baja Claw Radials? I just bought a set for my TJ Sport , 31X10.5 for $133 per tire. I've been very impressed with the way they handle in the mud and snow. They do great on the road also, this is my daily driver.

I dont but please keep us informed as I have been looking at those in 33's

As for the MT Claw radials, Phatyaspen (Jeepz member) ran 33's for a while. They were awesome on the trail and in the mud but he was really tick'ed off at how quickly they wore down to nothing. Don't know if that is normal but they were worn pretty bad at 20K miles. Looked as though he'd get 30K tops.

I think Tug ran them on his old YJ, he may give you some insight on them.

I would not get an AT of any kind unless you like to be winched out of mud - period.

My vote is for the kumho's. Sounds like the best tire for your application.

You could also get some of those re-treaded mud tires. I can't remember who it was that sells those, but they were very well priced.

Just not sure how they perform though. Maybe someone else will know.

I am in the Same boat for tires and I have done much research on this , even ask Twisted Copper for his opinion :D ,

I have settled on the Swamper Trxus MT/R.I have heard nothing negative about them and they are really reasonable at $114 apiece for 31X10.50.

Dunlop Mud Rovers, much better than BFG M/T. Kumhos are nice too.

Back