What's your "stupidest" or "worst" stuck

Craig

I wanna hear what stupid things others have done with their jeeps.

My stupidest stuck I've ever had would have to be the time I went off roading with a local club up into the interior of BC. These guys know people and have access to places that the general public can't always get into. The club took us about 3000 feet up into the mountains in the interior of British Columbia on some guy's ranch. We were high up on an old logging road which dropped off about 1000 feet or so extremely steep. There was a large boulder in the middle of the road which 4 of the guys crept around with their outside tires just hanging off the edge of the drop. Next came my turn. Got half way around the boulder and "slip", there goes my front passenger side tire over the edge. I figure ok, no problem, I'll just put it into 4wd and bring the front back up. Give it a little gas, then slip, there goes my passenger side rear tire. Ok, now I'm really screwed! My buddy in the passenger seat looks at me and says "I'm outta here". He opens the door, jumps out and totally disappears. It was so steep, he landed about 15 feet down the side of the drop. We decided to pull it back up from the front but also hooked another truck up to the rear just in case it decided to go for a roll down the cliff. At this point I was holding the brake pedal down so hard and I had so much adrenaline running through me my foot was shaking on the pedal. We took off my door and my seatbelt and attached a tow strap to my waste so a couple of the guys could yank me out...just in case. Pulled it off the edge of the drop and went on our way. The drive back home out of the mountains is a whole nother story....blew the master cylinder to the brakes...it was interesting but we made it.

Yeah, you couldn't have gotten me into reverse fast enough... Fear of falling is strong with this one...

The only time I got my Jeep stuck was when I was in the UP last January... My dad and I were driving back to the Pictured Rocks national Lakeshore... Road was unplowed, and there was a LOT of snow, but the snowmobilers had packed it down, and we were doing OK... I see a sign: "Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore"... "Turn here?" says I... "Yeah, here" says dad...

Yep, that was just a sign, not a parking area or driveway... I turn right into a ditch, about a good 3 foot ditch... Pass. side hood corner is flush with the ground, rear drivers tire is at stomach level to me standing there on the road... Major unibody flex... SOme nice snowmobilers came, and with the help of them pushing, and a lot of shoveling, we got it out... Got it stuck later trying to turn around, some more snowmobilers gave us a push... Road was too crowned, narrow, and slippery, my dad ended up backing it the 4 miles back down the road in reverse, 4-low...

Yeah... Turn here, whumph!

RE: Chat room Sunday at 9:00 est

The stupidist thing I have ever done was this I was the passenger in my best friends cj 5 it was equipped with 35's and a 4 inch lift and we were backing down the boat ramp and dumping the clutch and seeing how big of rooster tails we could throw . Every thing was going fine untill he reved it up dumped the clutch and we were still in reverse Hmmmmmm need I say more lol

My worst was with my Jeep last year (senior year in high school). For a little background info, it was an 88YJ and had about 8 inches of lift on 33's...

So it had been snowing the last couple of days (pretty good by Oregon standards) and the parking lot at school had about a foot. Then, they plowed it with a backhoe one morning. So that afternoon, coming back from lunch, I decided to drive up onto one of the ~7 foot tall piles. Now usually this would be more than doable, but little did I know, they had packed it down good and due to the warmer weather that day it had melted a little...then froze again into ice!!

SO long story short I got high centered up there with all four tires about 2 feet off the ground. At the end of the day I had a girls with a Ford pickup try and pull me off. That didn't even budge me, so we hooked a 6.0 Ford diesel up to me and...well just say it Got-r-done!!

And yes everyone was laughing at me and making fun of me (mostly joking!).

RE: Coolant leak from strange place

88Wrangles said:
My worst was with my Jeep last year (senior year in high school). For a little background info, it was an 88YJ and had about 8 inches of lift on 33's...

So it had been snowing the last couple of days (pretty good by Oregon standards) and the parking lot at school had about a foot. Then, they plowed it with a backhoe one morning. So that afternoon, coming back from lunch, I decided to drive up onto one of the ~7 foot tall piles. Now usually this would be more than doable, but little did I know, they had packed it down good and due to the warmer weather that day it had melted a little...then froze again into ice!!

SO long story short I got high centered up there with all four tires about 2 feet off the ground. At the end of the day I had a girls with a Ford pickup try and pull me off. That didn't even budge me, so we hooked a 6.0 Ford diesel up to me and...well just say it Got-r-done!!

And yes everyone was laughing at me and making fun of me (mostly joking!).

Oh, and this was also right by the entrance of the school parking lot...which definatly made it one of my stupidest stucks ever!

RE: hilarious mockup pic of my car! photoshopped!

... Good to know. I was thinking about trying a snow-hill, but that little part of my brain that is no fun told me this might not be wise...

Dreaded Jeep continued....

I've got a few stuck stories, a couple of the dumber ones involved snow and windchills -40 to -60. One of the funniest "oops" moments I had involved another Jeep that was stuck:

It had to have been around 1986 or 1987, I was cruising around Cheney Lake busting snowdrifts around 1am. As I hurtled headlong into the blinding contrast between starlit sky and powdery snow, a big drift hooked the right front tire, dragging me off the road into the ditch, through a barbed-wire fence, and across a small....for lack of a better term... simulated moon surface. I kept my foot in the gas to keep my momentum, but suddenly there was somthing big...and red....and, did I mention big?...in my path. A barn! BRAKES!!!!! Oh, yeah....snow, not much in the way of brakes. WHUMP! Being only slightly less than inebriated, I did the sensible thing....threw it in reverse and beat feet outta there before Farmer John could get his long johns and shotgun.

About an hour later, still shaking from my abrupt introduction to the barn, I decided to park on the lakeshore and regather my senses, as it were. There I found a pretty nice looking CJ highcentered in a snowdrift. Much to my surprise and delight, there were also two pretty nice looking girls in the Jeep! (Suddenly, this sounds like one of my...err, umm...someones letter to Penthouse Forum). Well, I tried and tried to impress these angels of the snow by pulling their Jeep out with my Toy PU, but to no avail. So, it being somewhere around dark-thirty, I give them a lift home. Take the first girl and drop her off about 10 miles from the lake at her house. Then, as the second girl is giving me directions to her house, things start to look kinda familiar. Really familiar. As in deja vu familiar. "Here's my house, turn here" she says, and almost in the same instant blurts out, "Oh my God!! Look at THAT!!!" Sure enough, in the spreading light of the frigid Kansas sunrise, highlighted in a soft pink hue, is a hole in the side of her barn, roughly the size and shape of a....well, of the front end of a Toyota PU! I do my best to act shocked and show some disdain as I drop her off at the front door, hoping she doesn't notice the similarities in tread patterns leading up to the barn and up to her door. I was so flabbergasted and laughing so hard inside that I never even asked for her name or number.

Several years later, as I was chasing a tornado near the lake (or better put, as one was chasing me), I pulled into a farmstead for shelter and to warn the occupants. It wasn't until the storm had passed and I was headed out the long drive that I noticed a place on the side of the old red barn where the paint seemed newer, brighter.....shaped oddly like the front of an old Toyota PU.

The story you have just read is true, the names will be changed in the event I am ever called to testify in court. Perjury is my friend, guilt is my mother.

I would say the most embarasing for me was I was traveling down a service road(class IV road) and pulled over to the side to allow the vehicle behind me to pass, the ground was just a bit soft and I didn't know it, (in 2wd) gave it some gas to get back on the road, sunk right in to the axle. Put it into 4wd, the front did the same. Had to get a tug on a class IV road, there are street signs on class IV roads!

1BADRUBICON said:
we were backing down the boat ramp

This reminded me of a "slight" situation the Mrs. and I were in. :oops: We were launching a SeaDoo a couple of summers back (when Jeep was stock). It was a fairly steep ramp, I backed the trailer to the water, got out and unhooked the front of the Doo. The Mrs. hopped in and backed the trailer into the water. Everything going fine at this point... I got the Doo pushed off and told her to pull out, the Jeep rolled back about a foot, another try, another foot back....at this point the rear bumper is under water..I am standing with my shoulder aginst the Jeep trying to push it (2000+ lb Jeep vs. 295 lb Me! YEAH RIGHT) try again and another roll back! Now at this point I have let go of the rope holding the Doo! The back of the Jeep is bobbing up and down with the waves as I am trying to hold it from going any deeper. :( All I was thinking about was the Jeep is fix'n to go to DAVY JONES LOCKER! She finally gets it into 4WD and with just the front end pulling managed to get the Jeep back to dry ground. :D
Here is what the problem was: She was wearing flip-flops! :evil: Got the brake pedal hung between the flip-flop and her foot so when she tryed to let off the brake and go to gas pedal her foot couldn't make it! After getting into 4WD she managed to wiggle her foot out of the flip-flop!

Moral of story....NEVER wear flip-flops with a manual transmission! :wink:

Well, about 10 years ago a buddy and I were out riding around on backroads drinking beer in his YJ. My CJ was parked back at the house as the front hubs were not working (no 4wd). About 10PM we pull to the edge of town to get more ice and more beer, and he sees a very....well, let's just say I'd had about a 12 pack and I still didn't think she was pretty. Of course she had a friend with her who looked like Rosie Odonnel. I get the "take one for the team" speech and end up in the back seat of the YJ headed back out to the turnrows. I attempt to look busy looking through the CD case while Lance throws his mojo on the girl in the front. I'm trying anything to keep from talking to the sasquach in the back with me. All the sudden I realize we're WAY out of town and he's in 4 lo and we're bogging down. He finally gives up rocking the jeep out and tells me to get out and push. I've had "more than a little bit" to drink at this point and am wearing BRAND NEW nikes, so I do the logical thing and take my shoes off before I step out into the mud and ICE. Still not going anywhere, so Lance gets out and pushes with me with the lesser of the two harpies driving the jeep and still no luck. We decide to start walking. I load my pockets up with beer, but figure since my socks are muddy, I can't put them back in my nice new shoes, right? (keep in mind that I started CHUGGING beer a couple hours before hoping that the odonnel look alike might start looking better....or that I might pass out). Anyhow, we start the walk to town, me in my socked feet, beer in our pockets, and about 6 cigs left between us. After about a half mile my feet are numb (about 20 degs out) and my socks are about 40 inches long (ever worn wet socks with no shoes? The stretch!). We pass cigs back and forth (reg cigs, no funny stuff) and keep chugging beer. 3 miles later we get to the highway. Still about 2 more miles to town. We walk, my socks are now about 5 feet long and are SLAP, SLAP with each step. To top it all of I step in a roadkill opossum that I didn't see due to sever inebriation. We flag down a car, which of course turns out to be an ambulance. They can't take us aboard cause neither of us is hurt. Lance offers to hit me with a full beer if it will get us a ride. They laugh and leave us standing there. We finally make it to town. The nearest payphone was at the KFC. Of course all the city cops are congregated there talking (about 3 am at this point). They look at these two guys, walking along with their pants rolled up to their knees, one's got 12 foot long socks on that are slapping on highway with each step, and both are drinking beer. They all just got real quiet and watched us walk up to the phone. At that point we would have gladly gone to jail as it would have been the quickest way to get warm. We call a friends dad who comes and pulls us out. As he's pulling up to the jeep he asks if we left "our dogs" in the jeep. I laugh and remind him of Lance's taste in women, and he gets this really funny look on his face when he realizes the big objects in the jeep are not Lance's two Labs. He pulls us out (jeep had a flat to top everything else) and we went home. Just an end note, when I was young I did a lot of stupid stuff (like driving around drinking). Now when I look back I realize how lucky I am to still be here, but even so I had some really good times and some really good stories.......

Re: RE: Re: Yea the super bowl is over!!

wm69 said:
Just an end note, when I was young I did a lot of stupid stuff (like driving around drinking). Now when I look back I realize how lucky I am to still be here, but even so I had some really good times and some really good stories.......

I hear ya there. I did a lot of stuff I shouldn't have, and I'm not proud of any of it, but it did make for an interesting life, and some good stories to share later on.....at least the ones I can remember. I'm growing old, but I'm not growing up!! 8)

_(OIIIIO)_Jeeper said:
1BADRUBICON said:

This reminded me of a "slight" situation the Mrs. and I were in. :oops: We were launching a SeaDoo a couple of summers back (when Jeep was stock). It was a fairly steep ramp, I backed the trailer to the water, got out and unhooked the front of the Doo. The Mrs. hopped in and backed the trailer into the water. Everything going fine at this point... I got the Doo pushed off and told her to pull out, the Jeep rolled back about a foot, another try, another foot back....at this point the rear bumper is under water..I am standing with my shoulder aginst the Jeep trying to push it (2000+ lb Jeep vs. 295 lb Me! YEAH RIGHT) try again and another roll back! Now at this point I have let go of the rope holding the Doo! The back of the Jeep is bobbing up and down with the waves as I am trying to hold it from going any deeper. :( All I was thinking about was the Jeep is fix'n to go to DAVY JONES LOCKER! She finally gets it into 4WD and with just the front end pulling managed to get the Jeep back to dry ground. :D
Here is what the problem was: She was wearing flip-flops! :evil: Got the brake pedal hung between the flip-flop and her foot so when she tryed to let off the brake and go to gas pedal her foot couldn't make it! After getting into 4WD she managed to wiggle her foot out of the flip-flop!

Or maybe........moral of the story: You drive and make the wife push!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: (of course, mudwoman wasn't watching me type this :lol: )

RE: Computer Problems

I don't have any killer stories but I will say my most embarrasing stucks were the first couple. Those are hard to shake off when your new at Jeeping and especially if your with non jeep people. They find it all too humorous. Now when I get stuck, I laugh off the situation and maximize my stuck time with laughter and bonding with other jeepers.

Lady

RE: Re: What is your "stupidest" or "worst&qu

_(OIIIIO)_Jeeper said:
1BADRUBICON said:

GUILTY AS CHARGED!!! I have gotten my flip stuck on any number of things in my life and blown them out more than I can count. I prefer to wheel or drive barefoot actually. Not many do but I prefer bare feet to any other situation. Never been pregnant either, in case your wondering!

Lady :lol: :lol:

Off-Topic Poll

Sparky-Watts said:
wm69 said:
Just an end note, when I was young I did a lot of stupid stuff (like driving around drinking). Now when I look back I realize how lucky I am to still be here, but even so I had some really good times and some really good stories.......

I hear ya there. I did a lot of stuff I shouldn't have, and I'm not proud of any of it, but it did make for an interesting life, and some good stories to share later on.....at least the ones I can remember. I'm growing old, but I'm not growing up!! 8)
Same here. In fact, when I go to visit my buddies in small little hick towns they're still doin it. Still going on the booze cruises through the bush and doing stupid stuff like that. These towns are so small that even the cops there don't care as long as you aren't on a paved road. Seems like everything they do involves getting pissed. Every time I go to visit them, I wonder what kind of trouble they're gonna get me into this time.

I can't believe i'm going to tell this story but why not.

In high school i had a lowered S-10 with a comp. stereo system. I was at a party in the back woods some where. Since I was the only one there that had a system big enough that everyone at the party could hear they talked me into driving it back to where every one was.(was parked by all the cars and what not) So to get back there I had to drive over a small mound of dirt. Maybe 6-8 inches. got half of the truck over it and there was a down grade on the other side and I got hung up on the frame andjust started to teter totor on this tiny little mound. Keep in mind All my other buddies had 4x4's and I grow up on in the country 4 wheel'n so i should have known better. But any how none of the guys where there since I went to this party with some friends from the city. So luckly I always caried a chain in the bed(not first time I'd had to be polled out). But the funny part of the story is that a old Chrystler Dynasty Limo pulled me out. Yes a limo

So let the harasment start on me owning a lower truck. but in my mind if its 2wheel drive lower it. If its 4wheel drive lift it.

Well one night, as said earlier darksomething, i was working on the west side of town, National hot spot area, when i received a call about a man with a gun walking down the street. I see the man as i am approaching the area, and he sees me and walks into a field about 20 ft and throws something, then walks back to the road, I take him down at gun pint and search him with no results. After back up gets there i drive my patrol car into the field to use the spot lights to search this huge field. alls i find is a bag of crack (which he said wasn't his, but in court couldn't explain his fingerprints on the bag). so after not finding the supposed gun i go to leave, and my car had sunk into the mud past its axles. my exhaust pipes were under mud. We had a tow truck come to pull me out, and it gets better. the tow truck is pulling me, and backs into a telephone pole and knocks it over. It was a real fun night. I finished my shift with a filthy car, and muddy boots and pants. Not fun for 12 hour shift.

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Signature pic requirements

LadyJeepFreak said:
Now when I get stuck, I laugh off the situation and maximize my stuck time with laughter and bonding with other jeepers.

I sure know what you mean!! I always laugh and have a good time when I get stuck or something breaks. I've gone wheeling with lots of people before who get all pissed off and are angry the rest of the time after they get stuck.

Me and 2 other guys (one was just getting into wheeling) went to the coast this last summer (about an hour away--and this was just one of about 1 billion trips we've made there). So this one guy who is new to wheeling is going down a trail and it keeps getting narrower and narrower, wth the trees closing in on us. Now, were all in his '79 completely stock bronco he just bought. SO he gets all mad that the trees are scratching up his truck and he just wanted out of there at that point.

SO instead of doing the reasonable thing and back out, he keeps going. But, he wants out real bad so we're now flying down this trail at about 30mph. And, me and another guy are in the back, with no seat and the top off :wink: . At this point, he's just smashing down these trees that are about 1/2 foot in diameter and sideswiping big, full-sized trees!! So we finally get out and the body of the bronco is completely smashed up, the passenger window is smashed out, and the windshield is covered in cracks...and me and this other guy are completely cut to pieces!!

But, me and the other guy are still having a good time, just not able to understand what was going through this other guys head :shock: .

So were heading back to camp and he starts to slide down this hill (a steep one :shock: ). Luckily, a grass mound catches us and were then stuck pretty good...with the back right tire about 4 feet in the air and the Bronco at about a 75* angle.

So long story short ( :oops: ) we have several people there try to pull him out. No luck!! Now I know my truck could easily do it, but he kept telling me to walk all the way back (about 10 miles) and get it. HELL NO!!! I told him, "you calm down, and just laugh this whole thing off and I will help you out." Well he was still mad and was not going to cooperate. SO finally, I tell him the same thing again and tell him I'll buy him all the beer he wants for that night. Well that changed him around pretty fast. Finally he just started laughing and having a good time...which made us all happy again and turned a bad situation into a good one!!

Sorry that was so long, but I'm bored!

Well my worst and most stupid stuck was not in a Jeep, but I do believe it is worthy of mention. The year is 1997, November and I'm stationed at beautiful Ft. Bragg, N.C. I have a '91 Silverado with a brand new set of 31.5" BFG AT's and I'm coming home from a girls house feeling ten feet tall and bullet proof. I took a shortcut thru the fire break/hunting roads on the back of the installation. This was the beginning of the end. All along the side of the road there is a tank trail. And at one particular point there is a creek/stream crossing. I figure I'll try to cross that creek/stream because I got new All Terrain tires. Plus, the crossing is designed with a large flat concrete slab on either end with large flat boulders all the way accross. I'm figuring I can't possibly get stuck because it's solid surface all the way accross. Well, I get my truck positioned to enter the creek/stream, take a deep breath and put the hammer down! Truck is now floating to the center as it quickly fills with water all the way up to just under the fuse box! I'm now sitting in water completely dead. I had to crawl out the rear slider and SWIM to the side. Hitched a ride back and called a tow truck. By the time we got back to the scene of the crime there was a ranger parked there writing me a ticket. Once we winched the truck out the ranger told me that he wasn't going to write the ticket because I hopefully learned my lesson and spent enough money on the tow. Ohh yeah.....I forgot to mention that it was THANKSGIVING MORNING! The tow truck was priced rather high.

Moral of that story is......ALWAYS GET OUT AND ATLEAST CHECK THE DEPTH OF THE WATER!

Back