shipping a jeep, couldn't find old posts about this.

randomjeeper

Re: RE: drive shaft angles? what should they be? help!!

has anyone ever had any experiences with shipping his/her jeep across the us? if so, how much did it cost, etc. any advice?

i tried searching because i know there have been posts about this topic before, but my searches were fruitless :( . i would love to drive it across the country, but that's not really an option right now.

I think Mingez found that the cheapest way was to have White drive it, but that never panned out.

Seriously though, where are you shipping it and why?

You could take out an ad in the paper to have someone travelling out that way drive it, but that opens all kinds of bad possibilities.

RE: I pulled the trigger on antsinmypants

Maybe if you pm mingez, he could fill you in a little bit. He had a deal going on a TJ a while back which, I think, fell through, but he was to the point of working out shipping details. Sorry I can't be of help, but I know there are people around who specialize in that sort of thing. Maybe a little finger-walkin' through the phone book and gettin' some quotes?? If it were me, I'd pm mingez first.

RE: shipping a jeep, couldn

There's different places that do it by train. That way always seems to be the cheapest.

My dad's always shipping old cars all over the place...I'll try and find out who he uses.

Re: RE: drive shaft angles? what should they be? help!!

88Wrangles said:
There's different places that do it by train. That way always seems to be the cheapest.

My dad's always shipping old cars all over the place...I'll try and find out who he uses.

Great Idea, 88Wrangles....the "Auto Train". Never thought of that.

Ya. A lot of the times they let will let you put them on trains that have some empty space too. But I know there's companies that are dedicated to that sort of thing.

RE: Finally a part of Jersey...

well there is a possibility i'd be shipping it to the west coast; it depends on a lot of variables :? , none of which are definite yet.

thanks for all the fast replies and help :D !! i am going to look at the phone book eventually, but i figured it would be useful to see if anyone had any recommendations or first hand experience, guess i'll pm mingez too 8) .

My wife had her truck shipped from FL to NY for $600. I dont remember what company it was through but I thought that was a decent price and that had a 100% quarentee on everything including scratches.

Mingez can answer this best. He was gonna buy my YJ but couldn't find transportation less than $900 (i think?). That was from NJ to NM. I think they even charged extra for a lifted vehicle. White offered to drive it out to him, maybe PM White :D .

It is tough to find a place that will ship it cross country for under $1000 especially if it is lifted. I searched everywhere this summer and ended up just taking a day and a half off to fly home and then drive it a couple thousand miles. The swampers took a beating though. My suggestion is get a good friend with some spare time......pay for the gas and their plane ticket back.

Same here. Except Now my father lives in Las Vegas. I could Drop off your Jeep, And pickup his A6 For the ride home :) So Iam looking foward to it.
When do I pick up the Keys :)

guy at work in portsmouth, nh just shipped a jeep liberty from here to colorado back to his son who just got back from iraq. i think it was a bit over $1300. but they picked it up from work here on a car carrier and went on their way. but, you gotta remember, that was east coast to colorado and already 1300+, so if you're willing to pay that plus more, i'll ask for you who he used.

When you get done with all the crap, hiring a auto shipper is the best, safest, and cheapest way. I used DAS Dependable Auto Shippers (I think they're based in San Fran but they're world wide. My son uses them all the time just because they are the best. I shipped a car to my daughter in CO from CT 2X and brought the Willys from CO to CT.

I even looked at renting an enclosed truck for the Willys and read all of the fine print. Nothing said I couldn't carry and auto inside. Getting it up inside was the problem. Just renting a truck for that distance cost almost what the hauler cost without taking into account all of the other expenses (airfare, gas, food, motels, liability).

I think you can get a quote off of their site. I went through Cendant Mobility. Figure $900. for about 2K miles point to point. My Willys was DOOR to DOOR, enclosed, and winched on and off for $1500.00 for 2000 miles (CO to CT). They had to drain the gas tank in the Willys also because the fuel pump diaphragm blew. Kind of everything that could go wrong went wrong. You won't do it cheaper yourself believe me, I've looked at every angle.

http://www.dasautoshippers.com/?referrer=google&kw=dependable+auto-ph

The other reason you use a good shipper is (according to my son who used to assign shipping car collections world wide) they tend to drop chains from above when they're climbing around on top of the trailer. He said that's very common when you have some yahoo outfit moving autos.

When I shipped my car out, another time, I used point to point (a near by drop and pickup point about 8 miles away) and no insurance which dropped the price quite a bit.

Edit: Just found out a guy in the next office brought a 2003 Ford F150 to Rowayton, CT, from Boulder CO for $980. (2K miles, no ins., and drop point to drop point). He said it was in perfect condition and very happy with the D.A.S. service.

So yes, I absolutely recommend D.A.S. I've used them 3 times and very happy with the service.

Let me know

RE: TJ water leak problem??????

My buddy used to work sales for Allied... They shipped everything, including cars, all over the world.

I haul cars for a living. I even haul Jeepss from the plant in Toledo. I love my job!

My Mother works as Quality Control Inspection at that plant. The liberty and GC Line...
Did you here about the guy they fired, He came back and Killed a few workers.

Ya I heard about it. But I also heard he did not get fired. Some discaplinary action was taken though. Then he came back...Very sad.

RE: Tire Balancing

lucky for me its stock, so hopefully no extra fees.

i'd rather pay $1000 than sell it (especially since my credit card is still hot from paying for $300 in various maintenance stuff for it).

south, from pa to either california or oregon

i don't know about that white character... :p

anyways, i've gotten a few quotes from DAS (thanks ritt!), so far i've seen from $785 to almost $1500. i'm also waiting on a quote from cendant.

Back