Screw the NHL!!!!!

mud4feet

Re: This one was done RIGHT!

Well, I've 'bout had it with the NHL "negotiations". Looks like this season's gone, and maybe next, too. We just got back from watching the Asheville Aces play and had a really great time (and much cheaper than an NHL game). Good skating, good puck handling, good fights, lots of power plays (one 5 on 3 - couldn't score), great goaltending on the Aces part (6-1 Aces!!!!!). "Major League" professional sports are really leaving a bad taste in my mouth.....lotsa greed from both sides (but I tend to side with the players). Fans don't matter - it's all about the money.

At the Aces game, referee skates over and throws a puck over the glass to my grandson........gotta LOVE those minor leagues!!!!

Enough venting.....any other minor league hockey fans out there?

I love watching the WHL (Western Hockey League) out here. We have the Vancouver Giants. These guys are more interesting to watch than the NHL because they're trying to prove themselves in hopes of one day making it to the NHL. There's more hitting, more passing, a lot more fighting and it's about a 1/4 the price to go see a game.
As for professional sports players, I have ablolutely no sympathy for anyone who is making millions of dollars to play a game and who complains about their wages. After all, they are playing a game....mabye they should go out and try actually working for a living, then see how much they'll complain. I think they should put a rating system along with a wage rate on every position and pay the players according to their stats. Example: A rating system of 1-10. A goalie who has a stat of say 8 should get paid a certain amount to a set maximum dollar amount which is the same for every team throughout the NHL. This could be put into any sport. As for the owners making more money than the players, I have no problem with that. The owners own a business which is the team. The owner bought and invested into this business therefore he should be able to make as much as he wants with no complaints.

Sticky about Jeepz Etiquette, and Jeepz attitude.

Ya Mud, I'm pissed too!!!

I tend to side with the owners however.

In the words of Jim Rome: "Memo to the NHL Players Association: Your bosses have NO money. Your team hasn't been in the black in 7 years. You can't squeeze water out of a stone...out."

RE: where to get a rebuilt 4.2 shortblock?

Screw the NHL!!!!!

OK that is a lot of men so I will need tons and tons of alcohal :lol:

Oh wait I have never consumed an alcohalic beverage before.....
And I prefer the company of the women ( can I get a heck yeah!!!) :wink:

RE: rear window leaking

You mean there is a professional Hockey league?

:shock: Wow, ya learn something new everyday

:wink: :lol:

Re: RE: Re: YJ-1; Chevy-0

We have the AHL (american hockey league) near us....Go Rochester Americans!!!

RE: Re: Sure do miss you all!

judge09 said:
We have the AHL (american hockey league) near us....Go Rochester Americans!!!

Hell YA! I got the loch monsters about 5 minutes away, the manchester monarchs are about 1/2 hour away, the partland sea dogs about 45 minutes away!

I love the AHL, but I miss the NHL! I got to skate on the same Ice that the bruins skated on a couple weeks ago, it was religous experience!

My personal opinon is that we need to reduce the league to less than 20 teams! How popular is hockey in Texas? Pheonix? and Ohio? Not saying that there are no fans but, compare that to the original 6! People in boston are on the verge of rioting! (well not reeally, we usually end up drinking instead of rioting now-a-days)

RE: Re: RE: Another welding question

jps4jeep said:
............I got to skate on the same Ice that the bruins skated on a couple weeks ago, it was religous experience!......

One of the few good things about the league being shut down - frees up the ice!

jps4jeep said:
........My personal opinon is that we need to reduce the league to less than 20 teams! How popular is hockey in Texas? Pheonix? and Ohio?

I lived in Cincinnati for 15 years, they tried numerous times to field a hockey team in various leagues (WHL for one - the Swords). Same core crowd came all the time - not enough to fill the arena..........Must be something in the water :lol:

Re: RE: handguns or women?

jps4jeep said:
My personal opinon is that we need to reduce the league to less than 20 teams! How popular is hockey in Texas? Pheonix? and Ohio? Not saying that there are no fans but, compare that to the original 6! People in boston are on the verge of rioting! (well not reeally, we usually end up drinking instead of rioting now-a-days)

Well, actually, Dallas has among the best attendance in the league. And are one of the few teams to record a net gain in revenue over the past 5 years.

San Jose, for example, has sold out since inception.

As for Ohio, the mistake there is putting the hockey team in a small market like Columbus. It should be in Cleveland or Cinci where the population could support it. Hockey is actually pretty big in Ohio.

They could get rid of the small market teams that are perenially in the red, Tampa Bay (although now winning doing okay), Columbus, Nashville etc.
(Oh yeah, get rid of Colorado too. Because I hate them. Die die die.)

Also, look at the markets untapped by the NHL: Seattle (on the border), Wisconsin, San Diego, Cleveland, Indy and Houston.

What I want to know is who is doing their market research? Nashville over Seattle? Columbus over Cleveland? Hmmm...no wonder the NHL has no revenue. :?

I actually just got home from playing pickup hockey. I'm a goalie and I love it!! Roller hockey is such a great workout.
Although I'm a huge Flyers fan, I don't miss it that much. As a matter of fact, some of the guys know a few of the Flyers and are trying to get them to come out and join us.

RE: Re: Sure do miss you all!

I just want to know how long it is before the Red Wings blame things on their current arena, and want a new one built, like the Pistons, or the Lions, or the Tigers... Heaven forbid Joe Louis Arena shouldn't have eight thousand VIP boxes...

things anger me.

Hockey is the one sport I can tolerate watching besides curling. I like the basketball playoffs, can't stand football, and baseball is only fun if you actually go, and even then, it varies.

RE: Re: RE: A Whole Year Already?!?

I really cant believe that these guys could not come together and figure something out. The fate of the NHL is at stake I dont know whey they keep breaking for weeks. Hold a conference for a couple weeks or a month and get things figured out. Losing the season is a disgrace.

I was not saying that there weren't enough fans to fill a venue, but merchandising is also a big money maker for the teams, I don't think it would be prudent to compare the number of people that live in the colder climates that like hockey to the number of people in warmer climates. And then there is Canada, the eat breath and shite Hockey up there!

But one thing can be aggreed upon, there needs to be less teams, or better though out franchise markets.

I want my hockey back!

RE: I

I miss hockey too. We need more players out there like Trevor Linden , in it for the love of the game. Big Canucks fan :D i have canucks ear muffs - i look styling in them. I also got me my canucks jersey - okies so its from the kids department in sears :p lol. I have a friend who used to play in the whl - dont get to see much of those games since its not 2 close but i watch quite a few bc leagues, like the chilliwack cheifs i have a friend whose the goalie for the poco buckaroos (lol i laugh when i say buckaroos) all in all BRING BACK MY HOCKEY

- in todd we trust

Well, needless to say we don't do a lot of hockey watching in Alabama. The ice would melt after 5 minutes of an Alabama "winter"

RE: What

jps4jeep said:
But one thing can be aggreed upon, there needs to be less teams, or better though out franchise markets.

I want my hockey back!

Absolutely. Less teams, and smarter expansion. No more Nashvilles and Columbus's.

They have 2 leagues playing here now, one 3 miles away, UHL, the other 20 miles (I think Eastern League). For $13 to $15 (best seats) it's a fun night. We even have a few of the famous "bleacher creatures" form the Yankee's right field show up. Makes a fun night..............where do those guys get that stuff.

Well the players finally agree to a salary cap. And the owners finally agree to remove their insistence on a salary cap.

The sociological aspect of all this is very interesting. Here we are, 6 months into what was to be a 7 month season and after both sides lose tons of money...each side finally comes to the realization that they're better off even on the modestly short end of an agreement than with no revenue at all...I was wondering how long that would take. People are interesting.

Anyway, the NHL still has some SERIOUS marketing and strategy problems and they go well beyond the cities selected for expansion. I've already drafted a constructively critical letter to send FedEx to Brendan Shanahan (Left Wing, Detroit), Gary Bettman (the Commissioner), and maybe one or two key NHL marketing execs. I'll send it this month or in March...depending on what happens with the season.

I'm still not going to run down to MSG to watch NHL hockey. I go over to the next town for $15. and watch hungry hockey. Fun to watch. Getzky's brother is on the Danbury Trasher's team also.

Special_K said:
Anyway, the NHL still has some SERIOUS marketing and strategy problems and they go well beyond the cities selected for expansion.

Ya, I think that goes without saying. But blatant disreguard for proper market research is one shining example representative of all of the ills the league suffers. It's elementary, and the fact that they've made such mistakes is an embarrassement.

Back