Bumper / Tire Carrier Combo Recommendations

Special_K

I'm thinking of getting new bumbers including a rear one with a tire carrier. I'd ideally like to mount my Hi-Lift jack to it as well but I prefer the ones where it mounts horizontally rather than vertically. I've been looking at the ones in the 4WheelDrive catalog but I'm not sure if I like any of them that have hi-lift jack carriers. I've been thinking of having some fabricated. Anybody got any recommendations?

**SOLD**Almost NEW Neoprene seatcovers

what do you drive again?

I had this similar dilema a while ago, and did quite a bit of research.

I ended up going with the wilderness rack from garvin industries, a little pricey, but no complaints.
Why I chose it..
2" reciever and is rated to tow in excess of the jeep's ability
2 D ring shackle tabs
works with any lug pattern
lots of tabs and spots to put things on the bumper. I ended up putting two back up lights and then I used some aluminum angle to mount a old hella 500 as a spot light.
Has a spot for a hi-lift, but I put my antenna there cause I keep the hi-lift inside the vehicle
The hinge is greasable (you would be suprised how many are not)
For the install, on a yj at least, the inward bolts can be a knuckle buster to get on, but they supplied the nuts attached to a plate, and had a bracket attached that allowed for super easy install.
Here are some pics from the install
image-missing.png

image-missing.png

image-missing.png

image-missing.png

image-missing.png

image-missing.png

Hope these help!

Bchcky: I drive a '95 YJ. "It's hip to be square."

Jps4Jeep: Thanks, that does help. I have been told to watch out for the non-greasable hinges. I was even looking at the wilderness rack, but it always seemed to be overkill to me. Not sure I'll ever want fuel cans, a cargo rack, etc. mounted to the rear. I guess its nice to be able to but that was partially what turned me off (not sure that's logical). After your recommendation, I'll give it more consideration though.

Oh one other thing: I don't see why the hitch on a bumber couldn't be integrated with a full capacity towing hitch. I do like that about the wilderness racks. Most bumper hitches aren't rated for towing, only for pulling stuck off-roaders...which means you'd have to have a second receiver for towing. Is that goofy or what?

On the minimalist side, I've been eyeing the Warn.

One retailer also gave me the card for a local fab shop that makes them from stratch (with professional quality looks & functionality)...I'll give them a whirl too.

In short, it helps but I'm still undecided. So many choices...OMG!!! My brain hurts.

:D

CJ front seat risers/sliders assembely

Jps4Jeep do you have any closeups of the swingout section? My bumper/tire carrier is made by Serious Metal and it's almost identical except it doesn't have the mount for the optional rack that can go above the spare tire. I want to make a mount to put a rack on my swing out section of the carrier and wanted to see how they did it. Also, how is your hinge made to be able to hold up to the extra weight?

RE: New shocks but...steering linkage - leaking lube

I got mine from >> http://www.jeeperman.com/ << but the bad thing about it it took about 2 months to get to my door!! But I installed it and it works awesome it does mount the hi-lift flat also. They have lots of pictures of the system on there web site check it out!

Zip: I looked at the one from jeeperman and I like. I still haven't gotten one yet but I do like this one so I'll seriously consider it whenever I actually make the dive.

I suspect I'll actually get one before the next turn of the century. While its likely one of my next upgrades, it just hasn't been a high priority lately (I feel guilty...my Jeep probably thinks I'm cheating on it). Given the your experience with the delivery time, maybe I should order now so I have it by the turn of the century. :)

RE: air compressors

Sully told me about www.rock-itman.com. I like his bumpers. I also found [www.jcfabanddesign.com[/url]. He carriers some nice bumpers too.

I have seen the jeeperman rear bumper, the finish is less than desirable, completely rusted in about a years time.

RE: It

Why not just make them yourself? 60.00 in metal-welder-grinder-paint-BEER..

I used the Bestop tire carrier and plain Olympic bumper. Put about $300. or $400. back in your pocket :wink: Finish has held up good for 3 years and the best part is it swings out with your tail gate.

pictureJPG-10.jpg

I like the Jeeperman bumper, my dad has had one for a while and had no problems with it at all. No rusting to speak of.

I have the Garvin Swing-A-Way rear bumper system. It is OK but not spectacular. On my '93 Wrangler, the bumper was literally stronger that the from of the Jeep. It was starting to fall backwards from the Mighty YJ.

It took some additional after market parts and a bit of welding before I was happy with it. I also had to be innovative in securing the swing-a-way to the tail gate.

I couldn't recommend it to anyone else.

Scorpion Motorsports are selling the heck out of their down here. I stood my Jeep up on it and it held in Logandale. I posted pics up in an old post. I'll dig it up and link to it. Really great quality, and I can attest that they hold up like no other.

Hello all,my name is Shea Irwin ,AKA Brokejeep on other forums.Thanks Jack for the good word on my bumpers,but my true appreciation will be shown through the purchase of Heineken on your next visit to the shop.As for my bumpers ,I have been making these out of my garage for about two years off and on and have recently partnered with some other guys that own Scorpion Motorsports who specialize in high performance sand rails and off road fabrication.I have been focusing on Jeep bumpers for YJs and TJs but am expanding to other vehicles as well.I have recently purchased some tools that will hopefuly increase my productivity as well as quality while still keeping the cost far below my competitors.This all started as a hobby for me,I wanted a carrier for my YJ but was unwilling to part with the huge amount of money that is asked for a quality bumper,so I chose to make one.People started to ask me about them and if I would make one for them,and now here I am.
I can be reached anytime on my cell or at the shop most mornings.I do have a full time job so if I dont answer,leave a message and I will get back to you.We are also setting up accounts with several quality manufacturers of off road parts so give me a call ,maybe I can help you find what you need.

Shea Irwin
(702)806-3852
Scorpion Motorsports
6355 S Pecos Rd #62
Las Vegas,NV 89120
(702)435-7034
My jeep before,
image-missing.png

My Jeep currently,
image-missing.png

My carriers
image-missing.png

Another example
image-missing.png

image-missing.png

image-missing.png

here's the pics and Shea's info from original post.

Back