This is where I got hooked...

I can vaguely pull this out of the old memory banks- but I gotta tell ya- calling a woman "old timer" can be dangerous. I don't remember any contest in which you could win a Willys- think they would start that one again?

Re: SM420 Transmission

NiteDog wrote:

How many of you old timers are willing to own up to remembering this?

I will admit to it. Roy Rogers was one of my childhood idols. I not only wanted to be like Roy Rogers, I wanted to be Roy Rogers.

Okay, so I had a real bad pre-adolescent crush on Dale Evans.

Roy Rogers, Hopalong Cassidy, Gene Autry, Tarzan, Captain Midnight, Flash Gordon, Commando Cody and several more B-movie stars were always listed on the movie theater marquee for the Saturday afternoon children’s matinee. (This was before televisions were common.)

Twenty-five cents for theater admission, a smuggled bottle of “Coca-Cola,” a box of “Good & Plentys” and Roy Rogers made for a wonderful Saturday afternoon.

Roy Rogers; Roy’s horse, Trigger and “wonder dog,” Bullet:

image-missing.png

Roy and “The Sons of the Pioneers” singing “Stampede.”

image-missing.png

Nobody has done that song more justice than Roy and the Sons of the Pioneers. Listen to a snippet of that song here:

http://mfile.akamai.com/3178/wm2/mu.../2890/us/uswm2/726/319726_3_09.asx?obj=v41129

Roy Rogers, in his day, was one of the best yodelers in the country.

More Gadget heroes: The Lone Ranger and Tonto.

image-missing.png

I met the Lone Ranger (Clayton Moore) some years after the “Lone Ranger” movies and TV series went out of production. I had the pleasure and honor of introducing my son to the Lone Ranger.

I still have my autographed-in-person photograph of the Lone Ranger.

Happy Trails and Hi-Yo, Silver AWAY!

Regards,

Your straight-shooting buckaroo, Gadget

Back