Bang for your buck mods...

Nice writeup. I did something similar with mine, but used a different K&N (#0810, I believe) and I cut the tube higher up. Don't have any good pics yet, but you can kinda see it here....

image-missing.png

There was no way in hell I was paying that much for a prefabbed filter kit
image-missing.png
. Easy, great, and cheap mod
image-missing.png
![addsig]

Have you had to fabricate a shield yet? So far, mine has been OK without...I was concerned with off-road conditions. Some of my friends told me to put the factory box back on for heavy duty jeepin, but I haven't.[addsig]

No shield here. I'm gonna get some humidifer filter wrap to wrap around it for wheeling. I don't go bezerk in mud, but it does get dusty where I wheel (but that's mostly in the summer). I hacked my tube, so the option of using the factory box in null and void
image-missing.png
. As a matter of fact, I just tossed it in the trash last nite
image-missing.png
.[addsig]

Drack that must be an old pic cause you got hair,oh wait I forgot you buy your hair in a can and spray it on
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Got my airtube and K&N from www.rustysoffroad.com for $50, real good bang for the buck. Kinda ghetto that I've got a milk jug for a splash guard
image-missing.png

My BEST bang for the buck was probably mounting the hilift to the rollbar uprights above the tailgate, horizontal behind the rear seat. Used a muffler clamp on each upright, then sat the hilift on one stud of each muffler clamp. Two wingnuts to secure and it's held tight, super easy to get to.
image-missing.png
[addsig]

<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font class="pn-sub">Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT class="pn-sub"><BLOCKQUOTE>Drack that must be an old pic cause you got hair,oh wait I forgot you buy your hair in a can and spray it on
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

Dude!!!!! There's gotta be some kinda internet stalking law I can enact against you
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
..........putz
image-missing.png
.[addsig]

I made my intake from 2 pvc elbows the same size as my stock tube. Drilled holes for the emissions hoses and replaced the hard hoses with soft ones...total cost: about $10. The only bad thing is right now I don't have a K&N filter so I just put a regular conical one on it for now...I keep forgetting to put a K&N on order (non of the auto stores around here have em...got to special order). Another mod that I did was my On board air system with the York...did it all (with tank) for less than $200. Could have probably done it cheaper but compressed air is something you dont want to take risks with...unless you like picking shrapnel out of your skin.

7 gal tank: $15 from wal-mart and has gauge and pop off at 125psi

Compressor and pulley: $20 from local salvage....they wanted $30 but I haggled em

Brackets: $7 for stock steel...cut to fit and welded myself

Hose: $25 for one to go to the tank and a 25' coil for tires & tools

Air fittings: $40 for the pipe and brass to put it all together

Pressure switch: $20 from an electrical supply shop preset at 80-100psi

Belt: $7 from Auto-Zone

Regulator/manifold: $30....also has a pressure gauge and serves as a check valve

Misc: $10 bolts zip ties and wire...some of which I had laying around

Total: $174........and damn its got a lot of bang for the buck....can air up a 31x10.5 from 5 to 35psi in just a few seconds.

I love my OBA system....I dunno how I ever did without it. I spent the money that I saved over an electrical compressor (like ARB's $299) on some air tools. Someday I'll get some pics taken of it and get them on up here.[addsig]

RayOvac, what type of belt are you using to run the OBA? I've seen the with either a serpentine pully for the stock belt or a v-groove pully for a belt from the alternator, after modifying the alternator pully.[addsig]

I bought an old York off of a '73 ford truck and changed out the fittings with another york that was no good (AMC type fittings). Of course the york has a v belt pulley and my 95 YJ has a serpentine belt. I had thought of going the alternator route...I had thought about just wielding a v belt pully on the front of my serpentine one. The bad thing about that is that your alternator does turn fast but the pully on it is small...much smaller than the york's pulley. That means for every turn of the alternator pulley....the york turns just a bit. What I did instead was found a pulley at the junk yard that would fit on my water pump where the fan bolts on. It took me forever to find one that would work (I had to search through 2 pickup beds full of pulleys) but I managed to find one that had 4 holes and a center one that was just the right size. I had to enlarge the 4 holes so they would fit (I used the serpentine belt water pump pulley from my jeep as a reference for finding a similar vbelt one and for modifying it). The pulley fit on perfectly and then I just bolted my fan right down on top of it...it works really good but I need to get an idler pulley because of the long belt (about 50") and no real good way to adjust it. I did get it tight enough to reduce slipping to almost nil. Also my water pump pulley I got is almost exactly the same size as the one on the york...which reduces slipping and makes for more york rpm at lower engine speeds. Someday Ill get some pics up for it. In the meantime check out Ben Hollingsworth's OBA site...my setup is just like his. http://www.jedi.com/obiwan/jeep/york_mounting.html[addsig]

<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font class="pn-sub">Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT class="pn-sub"><BLOCKQUOTE>No shield here. I'm gonna get some humidifer filter wrap to wrap around it for wheeling. I don't go bezerk in mud, but it does get dusty where I wheel (but that's mostly in the summer). I hacked my tube, so the option of using the factory box in null and void
image-missing.png
. As a matter of fact, I just tossed it in the trash last nite
image-missing.png
.</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

Nice design... you think that up all by yourself...
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
image-missing.png

I kept my air box. A 2" to 2" coupler and some bonding agent is all I need to get it back to stock...
image-missing.png
[addsig]

<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font class="pn-sub">Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT class="pn-sub"><BLOCKQUOTE>Nice design... you think that up all by yourself...
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
image-missing.png

I kept my air box. A 2" to 2" coupler and some bonding agent is all I need to get it back to stock...
image-missing.png
</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

Nah, some airbag on another board mentioned it to me
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
. My warranty's gone by the wayside 14K miles ago, so that's why I dumped my stock box, no need to worry about converting back now
image-missing.png
.[addsig]

I bought the expensive tube
image-missing.png
I feel it's worth it, I like stuff not looking so "homemade"

cheapest mod I ever did was a handthrottle. Some other good ones were ditching to stock jack and getting a waterproof box and getting some wingnuts to make it easier to fold the windshield down... also homemade discos were pretty good and glad I had them when the rest of the Jeep was still stock. [addsig]

I want my jeep to be as Ghetto as possible...

besides... the air filter fits right in with the rest of the junk under the hood...
image-missing.png

image-missing.png

and it goes well with the "homemade" look of the rest of my Jeep...
image-missing.png
image-missing.png

image-missing.png

How many homemade mods can you spot in the above picture? I see 4...
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Back