pass, pass, pass,pass... fail!!

randomjeeper

ahh so i spoke too soon about everything going well with the jeep.
smog check time :? !!

so i went for a smog test, the guy was reviewing the results with me, all was going great (some of my amounts were even under average!) until he got to NOx at 15 mph. my jeep failed that one :cry: . that's the only thing holding me back from passing.

okay so first question is does anyone know a decent mechanic in socal (los angeles area)? or any guesses on what needs to be done to lower the NOx by about 200 ppm (max is 504, jeep is at 721)? or about how much i should expect to spend?

my internet hasn't been working for the past 3 days (and is barely working now), so i haven't been able to do much research, etc.

thanks for all the help :) .

I got that "guaranteed to pass" stuff in my jeep. I failed for too much Carbon the first time, put the G2P stuff in that I got at an auto parts place, ran through a tank, passed no problem. Check that stuff out! Money back Guarantee!

nope, a smog test is testing emissions.

joopin, i'll have to see if that does anything for the nitrogen content. you had to run through a tank of gas you mean? i think it might be cheaper to have whatever it is fixed than go through a tank of gas right now :shock: :lol: .

i only get 1 free retest, otherwise its another $50, so i want to pass.

okay off to deal with this mess, thanks for the suggestions guys :D .

76-83 CJ5 Hardtop and doors with upper sliders

so i passed emissions, yeay :D !

i didn't find an auto parts store, but i did call a place and they were able to take my jeep in this afternoon, so i figured i might as well get this over with. a few hours and a new catalytic converter later, i was driving home. incidentally, on my way home i found a 4wheel parts store.

so life is good again :D !!

Nox is a result of EGR system not funtioning properly, CAN sometimes be caused by fauly cat converter...I am a state inspector and Toy tech in Dallas, we use them same tests as California in Dallas/Ft.Worth metro area. Although in Texas 24 years and older are smog exempt, just a safety inspection :)

-D-

ahh thanks for the info derek :) , i remember reading about the EGR in my haynes manual (and how the EGR system is only in the 93-95 5.2L V8 models ~ and thinking, that's weird), but now at least i'm learning!!

sully, the 4wheel parts in redondo on marine ave i think it is. i'm going to check it out sometime (unless they don't have a showroom or whatever, but i won't know that until i get there) i went on their website, but it took forever to load, so i gave up.

now to affix a license plate on the front of the jeep (yet another use for zip ties :lol:) ... my next adventure :p .

Back