How hard is it to find a cheap hard top?

ZBTstang

I have a black 98 TJ and I am desperatly looking for a hard top that I can afford. I cannot find any decent new ones for less than a grand and even if I can find a reasonable used one theyre a million miles away and cant be shipped. Should I check junkyards, etc? please help
image-missing.png
[addsig]

I would definately keep an eye on the junkyards in your area... because thats going to be your only real chance at finding a TJ hardtop for cheap. The TJ tops aren't as interchangeable as the YJ/CJ tops and they're hard to find... I would try to stay away from those aftermarket ones you see in places like quadratec and 4wd.com

good luck,

jim

85 CJ[addsig]

Another Option that I used to get a hard top is to check out the fly by night smaller car lots in your area. These are the lots that buy at auto auctions and quicksale the autos for a small profit. You know the type. Then when you see a hardtop that will fit and is what you are looking for offer to buy the top only. I bought a Pavement Ends Targa Hard top and the half door uppers and factory 95 half doors at a local yoakle car lot for the trade of my old very used soft top and $500.00 cash. He never knew that I would have given him $500.00 for the factory doors alone. It is ez to find a soft top in the spring to replace your old one. To buy a new top like the one I bought would have been closer to $2000,00 not counting the half doors. Just an option! Tug

image-missing.png
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
[addsig]

beginning of winter is the absolute worst time to try and buy a used hard top... everyone just put theirs back on. You have to shop in the spring when everyone is sick of theirs and ready to get rid of it cause they don't want to find a place to store it for the spring and summer..
image-missing.png
[addsig]

how hard it is will depend on how much patience you have.. if you wait long enough, you will find one
image-missing.png
If you want it now, be prepared to pay a premium.[addsig]

Back