Viele Gruesse aus Deutschland (Greetings from Germany)

jules

Hey All!!!

I'm in beautiful Dresden Germany for a few days!! I had to clear up a botched start-up that one of my Field Engineers couldn't get right. (Dumb-A$$)

Aside from being away from my wife and kids for a time, it's really nice here. So much history (though the Allies really gave Dresden Germany the bomb treatment).

I've only seen two jeeps since I've been here (a YJ and a ZJ). I've taken a few pictures but can't download them from my camera yet.

Sorry Mingez, no Surreys, but I've seen some tricked out Trabants.

Anyway, I'll post some pictures when I get home.

See Ya Statesside,

Jules

Check out this Wrangler on Ebay

Hey Jules, that's awesome! I loved Germany when I was there a couple years back, lovely country... Hope you're having a good time, and are able to enjoy it while getting your work done... Safe trip home :)

RE: Re: RE: Check out this Wrangler on Ebay

Hey, that's pretty cool!!! Hope you have a GREAT time and be sure to show off those pictures when you get home!

RE: Air intake

Thanks Guys!

We got a lot done yesterday and left the mill early to take in the sights of Dresden. The history behind some of these places is cool. Most of the older structures have heat damage from WWII. When I suggested they powerwash them, I got a lecture from my German co-worker about how History has to be maintained not forgotten. I guess it's just my ignorant "American" attitude that things should look "new".
I took quite a few pictures but my camera is horrible in direct sunlight so most of them are dark.

Saw a WJ yesterday. Most cars are Volvo, Mercedes, Opal, VW and Audi here on the East Side of Germany.

Anyway, a couple of more days and I can head home.

My warm bed awaits me there (and my wife's cold feet!)

See Ya,

Jules

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: HELP!!! Need opinions from all J

I took three years of German in high school, yet all I retained was:

"Ein beer bitte"

If I ever go there, that should get me by ;)

RE: Starter problems, I think. . .

I got back the other day and just downloaded pictures from my camera.
I took a ton of them at medium resolution and re-sized them to 640 so I can post them.

We spent Saturday at the Mill and got off early for good behavior (we got our work done!). We toured Dresden Germany. Dresden was bombed by the Allies who thought it was a storage area for munitions. It was bombed for two days in February 1945 and practically levelled. Lost was the history of the City. Historic buildings were reduced to rubble and what was left standing was left charred and black from the fires. A painfully slow ressurection of the city occured over the next 40 years, but under Soviet rule, the rebuild was cheap and ugly. It wasn't until the re-unification of Germany in 1989/1990 that money was made available to correctly rebuild the area. But if you ask my opinion, putting new stucco over the original dilapidated concrete erases a lot of history. But, hey, that’s just me.

image-missing.png

This is a small part of the original Opera house (Semper). Most buildings displayed this type of detail.

image-missing.png

This was one of many Churches in Downtown Dresden. If you look closely, you can see how it was rebuilt with some of the original stones. They appear black because they were charred in the bombing. The cleaner statues are new while the older ones remain black. It was pretty ominous looking over your head and seeing these jet black statues all over the place. It got downright spooky at dusk when the sun was settling. But by then, we were pretty tanked up. Did I mention I love “Radeberger” Pilsner?

We spent our afternoon Sunday up at the Fortress Königstein. You have to see it to imagine the actual size of it. Huge doesn’t do it justice. It is perched atop a huge cluster of stone and was the hiding place for King August when Napoleon Arrived on the scene. It was said to be impenetrable and I would believe it. It was a 12 minute walk (not including a couple of rests) up the mountain to the front gate.

image-missing.png

image-missing.png

image-missing.png

Once up there, it was a city. Huge buildings, dorms, and armories. You can see how they built it around the rocks. We also came upon an underground cavern which was where people with the plague were kept. They were fed and kept alive for as long as they would live, but since there was no cure for the plague, they had to separate them from the population. I was tempted to throw my over-talkative German co-worker though the bars.

image-missing.png

Finally back in town, I found this peculiar gumball machine.

image-missing.png

I put in 1 Euro and got this. It was small enough to put into my pocket (well, almost).

image-missing.png

Here’s a tricked out Trabant.

image-missing.png

And here’s a German Surrey. Foot Power, Baby!!

image-missing.png

Anyway, I’m heading to Venezuela in a couple of weeks. Not as many sights there but I’ll keep ya posted.

Jules

RE: Re: RE: Starter problems, I think. . .

Looks like you had a good time. lots of history there.

Those Smart cars are pretty cool and supposed to get great mileage. I saw many in Itay on a recent trip to Florence, Pisa and Rome. I had to go with the Mercedes diesel due to my American requirements for something with power.

Oh Yeah, one of my favorite countries. Our ship was in Hamburg for 2 weeks over Christmas.........I think it was......... 1962. :D

Back