What is the difference

Dawnie

I have a quesion .. :oops:
What is the difference between a wrangler - and a wrangler YJ or Tj or any of the other intials .. I see something I wanted to get I am new to being a Jeep owner and they say for use on a 95 Jeep YJ and I was confused if it would fit my wrangler which is a rio grande ..
If u can I would appreciate any info
Thanks
Dawnie

RE: Coil questions: What ignition coil works best?

Well Dawnie, first off, welcome to Jeepz!
To answer your question we first need to know the year of your Wrangler, and what it is you are buying for it.

But as far as the initials go, the designation is like this:
a YJ is a wranger from 87-95. The TJ is from 97-present. Some accessories fit all Wranglers, but most don't.
YJ's have square headlights, and TJ's have round.

I believe the "Rio Grande" is a regional special edition.

Here are descriptions of the designations that are most popular:
CJ-5: Civilian Jeep based on the M38-A1 built from 1954 to 1971 with an 81 inch wheelbase and from 1972 to 1984 with an 83.5 inch wheelbase.
CJ-7: A modernized version of the CJ-5 built from 1976 to 1986 with a 93.5 inch wheelbase.
XJ: The Jeep Cherokee built from 1984 to 2001.
YJ: The Jeep Wrangler built from 1987 to 1995.
TJ: The 1997-current Wrangler including the Rubicon and Unlimited models.
ZJ: The Grand Cherokee built from 1993 to 1998.
WJ: The Grand Cherokee built from 1999 to 2004.
KJ: An SUV called the Jeep Liberty built from 2002-present.
WK: Redesigned Grand Cherokee introduced as the 2005 model year with independent front suspension

The Yj has square headlights, signals on the grill, and leaf springs. The Tj has round headlights, signals on the flares, and coil springs. Suspension parts are not universal for the most part but some other parts fit both jeeps. It should be listed if it is a non-universal or universal part for both the Yj and the Tj. Have fun and welcome to jeepz!

EDIT : Uh Mingez beat me to it! :lol:

RE: Re: um... yeah.... this is a mockery to the jeep name

and technically mingez, there are no 96 yj's, there are no 96 tj's either for that matter. there are only xj's and zj's that year.

RE: Re: RE: Sparky...

Yeah, 96 was the most pathetic year Jeep has ever had.

What can they say?......1996 was a funky year. Rugged offroad vehicles were out, and lowrider station wagons were in......

and before anyone responds.....remember, we don't flame here on Jeepz...... :p

Re: RE: Re: attn: Robrt-Stephens

:D NOW i get it Thanks !
What I have now is a 1995 and I just want to change the top and maybe put some step bars on it . I could upload a pic once I figure out how -- I just got it last week and being I never owned one before I am trying to figure out some things .. my first question was why everyone waves at me LOL but after googling that I understand it's the jeep wave... i was thinking ..ok.. maybe they have me confused for someone else lol .. then the 2nd question I wondered about was why this Jeep doesn't go very fast .. but I had a few people tell me that since it is a 4 cyl it won't fly like I guess I am used to. It did need a tune up I did that this past weekend and that was a job and a half i couldn't get to one spark plug , but after busting my hand open in several places I got it on ( i think) but it reallly needed that tune up so it runs a little smoother but I can't say it is a speed demon lol . I guess they aren't geared towards speeding and whatnot (tell me if i am wrong so i can figure out what else it could be). And then I was trying to buy a new soft top for it but OMG was that confusing too - with everyone having those intials on everything I couldnt figure out if it would fit - But I am pretty sure it will now .. My jeep has the square headlights and the signals on the grill.
Thanks SO much and thanks for the welcome !
8)

Every one waves because "It's a Jeep thing" and yes, now you WILL understand. Welcome to Jeepz, we're glad to have you. People wave because owning a Jeep automaticly gets you into an unrecognized club (only jeepers know it) and it is pretty much a standard to get or give a wave when in or around your Jeep, just wave back and always wave at other Jeeps when in your Jeep. We're friendly :D

I love that they wave.. I am finally getting used to it ..my daughter even waves now lol

RE: Thanks !

Welcome to Jeepz!!

As far as the Jeep not going very fast...ya, it's a 4 cyl Jeep. That pretty much explains it right there. You might be able to get up to a good speed, but getting there is always the tough part with them!

Oh, and feel free to post some pics of your Jeep like you mentioned!!!

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: attn: Robrt-Stephens

bchcky said:
and technically mingez, there are no 96 yj's, there are no 96 tj's either for that matter. there are only xj's and zj's that year.

Oops, I know. I just copied that off of a website. Here's the website that contained those designations:
http://jeephorizons.com/tech/models.html
My bad.

If you notice above that I mention the fact that YJ's were from 87-95 and TJ's were in production from 97 to the present. I must not have caught that. :roll: :oops:

Transfer case sizes

Welcome to Jeepz, glad to have ya aboard... When I got my XJ (Cherokee), I had no idea what I was getting into, the waving, the message boards, the stickers, the mudding, people leaving notes under my wiperblades because they recognized my Jeep, and wanted me to know (at least I haven't been owned yet)

Example of being owned in Michigan, lots of pics, not good for 56K modem
http://michiganjeepers.com/eve/ubb.x/a/tpc/f/130109322/m/504109184

It's great fun, and great people... I have met so many total strangers that I instantly developed a rapport with, just because we had Jeeps... If you have any local clubs or anything of that nature, I would strongly suggest looking into them, can be fun... Congrats on being the proud owner of a '95 YJ (I want one SO BAD), and again, welcome to Jeepz :)

And by the by, where are you from? I only ask because I noticed you didn't fill out the left profile, and I would be just super geeked if there was another jeeper from Michigan on the board...

RE: Stolen TJ Doors

Welcome, Dawnie. And, as an example of what you can learn here, I never knew before that they didn't make either a YJ or TJ in '96!! One other way I can tell a TJ from a YJ is the TJ windshield leans back about 5 degrees more than a YJ, and the TJ gas filler is in the left rear quarter panel, where the YJ filler is behind the license plate.

So, where ya from, Dawnie?

or just look at the headlights!!!

I didn't realize the winshields were slanted differently! That's cool.

RE: Re: RE: What is the difference

88Wrangles said:
or just look at the headlights!!!

I didn't realize the winshields were slanted differently! That's cool.

Yuppers, and the windshield wipers lay flat to the bottom of the frame in a TJ, and look "half-cocked" in a YJ!

Re: RE: Clutch question

I am from Pennsylvania ... sorryyyy no michigan :(
I am learning ALOT on here .. I never knew buy just buying the Jeep I been wanting for the past 8 yrs I would gain new friends and have all these things going on (waving ETc) ... and it is SO true about it getting to good speed but its the getting there .. LOL i wait and wait and then I am finally at the speed I wanna be and there's a red light LOL .. definatly needs some getting used to .. but hey the ride is relaxing I am usually in a rush this forces me to relaxxxxxxxxxxx and calm down .. Loving it !
I got in today and FINALLY ventured to taking off the windows (was kinda scared I wouldnt be able to get them back on ) and I get all happy I take them off ... get in .. and no go .. wouldn't start I am here laying under it tapping the starter .. playign with this and that - then i give up put the windows back on .. and my dad calls and suggests I put in in Nuetral and try it and Poof there it goes .. I just didn't have it in park right .. cause then I tried again with it in park and it worked like nothing .. So tomorrow .. the windows come off again lol .. and we try this a 2nd time ..
Thank you for al lthe Great welcomes ! I love being surrounded By peope who know what I mean when I ask about the Jeep - other people I know never had one so guess... This place is GREAT !
Ps- I dont know of any groups But I will be looking into that ! :wink:

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: What is the difference

I added the pic on another Forum .. couldn't figure out how to get it on this one .. but I also have some in my album.. I am working on getting some more..

Dawnie said:
I am from Pennsylvania ...

Dang.....still waiting for more folks from Kansas to join up. :cry: Oh, well, it's good to have ya, no matter where you're from! :wink:

Back