What kind of dog for a Jeep dog?

Jeeper84

sorry, this might work this time. This summer I'll be purchasing a CJ7. I have decided that I want a Jeep dog. Anyone have any expirience with training dogs to ride in Jeeps? Can you teach them to bark at other Jeeps and such? Thanks a lot -Mike
image-missing.png
[addsig]

get a purebread, preferably weimerainer *sp*... they're loads of fun. just whatever you do, don't get a chihuahua or something pip-squeak-y.
image-missing.png
[addsig]

I've have a Chocolate Lab (Nick) and prior to that we had a Golden Retriever (Zack - Died three years ago 12-23...very sad my first born)...both were/are great for Jeepin. Very good cruiser and family dogs! My opinion
image-missing.png
[addsig]

I have had Australian Blue Heeler's for many years and they are the smartest most trainable dog's I have found. Love to ride and they are one man dogs. This is the same dog you saw riding with Mel Gibson in the Mad Max movies. You see em in alot of comercial and are known to be cowboy dogs. They are bread out of Dingos and are cattle dogs in the outback. They are aggresive in their habitat. Mine will not let you in my ride unless I say it is OK. Got the name from running up and bitting the heels of cattle to make belivers out of em. Loyal to the death, and not a bad looking animal either. That is what Tug likes! [addsig]

Australian shepard and Border collie mix! THey are very smart and very fun. Tons of energy and look good in Jeeps!![addsig]

I've got a black Lab now, but getting a Blue Tick puppy in a couple week as soon as she's wheened.[addsig]

Any dog can be a jeep dog! It doesn't matter what breed, they say some of the smartest dogs are mutts (mixed breed). Why not rescue one from the local animal shelter or the city pound? Any dog would be THRILLED to stick it's head out of your Jeep, but why not save a life, and give a doomed animal a second chance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [addsig]

I like Only1's idea... I'm a college kid with not too much money. How much would adopting a pup cost? Just give me an estimate. Thanks -Mike
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Last summer some guy pulled up next to me and said "you got a good looking Jeep, but your old lady sure is ugly" My Weimeraner (correct SP Dingus) ARAK was riding shotgun. He´s my bud, body guard, a babe magnet and I sure don´t have to worry about leaving valuables in the open.
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Agree with all the previous...except for the cat. Nothing against cats...just more of a dog lover. Especially agree with if you can find a dog at the pound...that's the best way to go. I have two border collies, both having escaped alcatraz. They are kick a$$ dogs. Incredibly intellegent. Still need some help with the frisbee...but they have the idea. [addsig]

If you want to adopt, go to the humane society or the pound. That's how I get my dogs. Cost wise? It depends. They both have a set dollar figure, and it depends on where you live. They're kind of expensive here in Albuquerque, because too many people aren't respnsible enough to own a dog. I won't go to a breeder, I have no need for a "full-blood" dog. Just one that wants to go where the Jeep will take us.[addsig]

hi there,

i own...no,i must say it different,..i am the leader in a pack of 2 siberian husky's.

image-missing.png

one is lucky,he loves off-roading,specially all the dirt and mud.....

when i'm packing my cj-5 for a trip he jumps in at first change and it's impossible to get him out
image-missing.png

the other one is nasty,she hates it,she likes the dirt and mud but when driving she looks at me with a pair of brown eye's that say''can we go home now??,,

she's afraid when the jeep go's up,down or sideways...
image-missing.png

important for you;

1; find out what dog you like.

2; go to the dogpound and find that dog(they deserve a second change)

3; how's your first impression,

4; how's the dogs impression,

5; last but not least BE IN CHARGE,but stay nice...

have fun and let us know what you did and stuff....

[addsig]

I have a Blue Tick Coon Hound and Walker/Tree Hound. Both love the Jeep and riding in it but both are a little so obsessed with smelling to be good trail dogs. But they will respond to the command "brace yourself" when we're out riding on the street. You just say it right before braking or turning and after falling over/down a couple times, they start to get it...
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
[addsig]

We have two labs, a yellow (dad, Otter) and youngster (Black, Chaos). Chaos is a year now. Problem is, they are too nice. We had a Chocolate but someone wanted him and took him out of the jeep while in a parking lot. Now, on the 05 Wrangler I have built a ¾ steel tube (EMT) cage, three bars high. Used jet black acrylic enamel with a catalyst and it looks great. When you lock the rear door the only way to extract the 100 pounders is over the top. They can jump it easy enough, but not for a stranger.

I had a Jeepin Weimeraner for 12 years, until he died last summer. It was sad to loose my buddy.
I would say get one that can jump in it's own. A muddy dog is no fun to load.

My Jeep dog, Sonya, is a rescued German Shepherd. My son found her and 3 siblings along the highway last year at Thanksgiving when they were only about 6 weeks old. She loves the Jeep, and goes nuts anytime she hears it start up. One of the first things she learned was "Up!", and she jumps right in the back. Occasionally, she'll ride up front with me on cruises around town or short trips if the top is on. On longer trips or when I don't have the top on, she stays in the back on a short leash for her safety.

MyTurnNow-2.jpg

Here's what she looked like just a year ago:

Sonyasnow-1.jpg

She's definitely claimed me as her best bud!!8)

Back