What kind of dog for a Jeep dog?

It makes me sad to read all of these. I had to get rid of my best bud Zeus, He was the smartest dog I have ever had the privilege of knowing. I trained him to sit, lay, heal, stand, jump and fetch on hand signals only, God I loved that dog, anyway he was a 50/50 mix of Boxer and American bulldog. White with just a little brindle around the eyes and ears.

Im a senior now, and really want to get a dog. But the rents dont approve, but i leave in july and i figured i could train a good dog in 6 months leave come back and take the big guy with me. I would deffenitly rescue, A. im a poor high school student. B. if someone/thing needs a home ill lend them a hand. As for what i kind i mean i grew up in massachusettes and every one and there brother has a lab, black or choc. but for a jeep dog i would want something that isnt afraid to hop out in the mud, but follows demands as in key, when i want to leave its time to leave. But i want a dog thats very agile, as in can play fisbee or catch with me, friendly is nice, since im so "young" its going to grow up right along with me. any suggestions besides the ones already made, and how much does it cost. my guess around 500?

The best dog I have ever owned was the Golden Retriever I had when I was a kid. Casie was the most loyal and protective dog I have ever seen. She was very intelligent and obedient.

Our current dog is a mutt. She runs a close second.

The main thing is to stay away from bad breeders who do not breed out problems like bad hips - especially with Retrievers and German Shepherds.

I'm all for rescuing one, but your best bet at a well trained dog is with a puppy, not an adult. SOme will argue that but puppies are just easier to train.

Post a pic when you get one!

Mut for me, beagle and something else..
She scared the crap out of my friends kennel raised German Shepard he paid $500 for that pees itself if you look at it hard..:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

defiantly go with a mutt they are the best kind they are always by your side. I have a Australian cattle dog mixed with a beagle. She is always down for going a ride in my Cherokee and loves being out in the woods. Good luck with your decision.

Re: 1044731

I am gonna train my cat
image-missing.png
to ride along in the jeep
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Can you get the cat to hiss on comand? Have the cat sit shotgun and the dog in the back... NOW THAT JUST AIN'T RIGHT! :lol:

I am a dog person myself. Married into a dog family. My father in law when driving and sees a cat says "good kitty, dead kitty." He doesn't mean it though; He's just kidding.
Cat's are OK. We are just dog people by prefference.

It is maddening when you see any animal abused or neglected.

I like Only1's idea... I'm a college kid with not too much money. How much would adopting a pup cost? Just give me an estimate. Thanks -Mike
image-missing.png
[addsig]

One of my 1st dogs was 100% Mutt rescued from SPCA. Found him at an SPCA rescue adoption event at the shopping mall of all places. He was a good, smart loyal dog. I sure miss that dog. He was a little nervous riding at 1st, but then settled down and was OK in Jeep. I was told by SPCA they suspected English sheperd, Black Lab mix 3 months old. Back then it was $40 to adopt. When checked recently Adopting was +$70. The fees mostly matters on area, supply, demand, and their business costs. IMO Mutts are generally smarter and adopting is a great option.

My Current Dog is a runt of litter - 95lb German shepard that I bought from a friend when she was then breeding. That was 6 years ago. This is one of the smartest, most loyal (to me more-so "Daddies dog"), protective, and high energy dogs I've owned. I've taught her to sit, lay, stay, fetch on hand signals. She'll do verbal and non-verbal commands for me. She'll only do verbal commands for the family. ;) She absolutely loves water, rides, walks, runs, fetch and play. Most importantly She can Jump into my Jeep XJ with 7.5" lift and 35" tires. My parents 7 YO 70lb collie can't even jump anymore into a truck (arthritis) and needs help into anything taller then 18" off ground. Their collie is a very even tempered, loving, mellow dog - great with families and kids. Toddlers can lay on her, pull her hair, tug on her and she won't mind a bit.

It all depends on what you want in the dog on what breed to get or like. Most any breed can be taught with enough time and effort. My breed prefference is Shepard, Lab, Retriever, Rotweiller, Husky, or even a good Mutt, as long as it's a over 60lb dog is generally what I'd preffer.

Whatever breed you like, spend some time with the dog and you can generally tell if the dog is a good fit in a short amount of time. Every dog is different, even in the same litter. Some are hyper, others are more mellow.

The trick is to find a dog that matches your personality and be the dog's boss. Yet be a kind and firm dog's boss.

Any dog that can see out the window is a Jeep worthy dog IMHO.

Last edited:
I have a rottweiler.I only allow him to ride in the back due to the slopper thing..lol..I dont trust him to stay there so I remove the rear seat belts and use the bolt to attack a chain with a swivel to the floor.

The one on the right is a Rotty mix. As much as I love her @110 pounds she's way to big to jump into my lifted jeep. But the little guy is my red nose pit and he springs in thru the side door, or over the spare and into the back with no problem. Plus if you train yours to stay in the jeep as I have. No one will ever try to cut your top while he's in it! Hahahaha

Attachments

• image-3356469532.jpg
    image-3356469532.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 508

Re: 1044726

I have had Australian Blue Heeler's for many years and they are the smartest most trainable dog's I have found. Love to ride and they are one man dogs. This is the same dog you saw riding with Mel Gibson in the Mad Max movies. You see em in alot of comercial and are known to be cowboy dogs. They are bread out of Dingos and are cattle dogs in the outback. They are aggresive in their habitat. Mine will not let you in my ride unless I say it is OK. Got the name from running up and bitting the heels of cattle to make belivers out of em. Loyal to the death, and not a bad looking animal either. That is what Tug likes! [addsig]
Couldn't agree more! I've got one and I'm proud of her. I got mine from a shelter. They have that cattle dog rescue thing you could go thru but I will say this. Don't get one if your just gonna tie it on a rope and not interact with it. They need to keep busy and their mind occupied. Teaching them tricks [they learn quick] and working with them and just paying attention to them will be the difference in having one that you'll be proud of and one that you can't understand why it's always into trouble. Read about them and make sure they're right for you. I'd never have anything else. Go to youtube and check out Skidboot, it's a blue heeler that dog's amazing.

Heres my jeep dog. Has a blast when ever we head out. He loves to go for drives and just chill.

Attachments

• image-1281666970.jpg
    image-1281666970.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 261
  • image-4027727598.jpg
    image-4027727598.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 209

Get a lab. Favorite dog in the whole world. Or a blood hound. Don't know about everyone else but I like my dogs faithful as anything. But don't get one of those trophy dogs. Like one that weighs 8 ounces and has an annoying bark. Those shouldn't be considered dogs haha

Now this is my type of chatten, and I have to bark in for my HuggieBear as well. He by Chance wants me to Say that Sonya is one Hot *****. Found him in a sand lot with bout 13 others and MoMMa is a Black Lab Daddy is a well I'll get to that when we find out. the only cost for him till the Rabies bordatella and license was half a cuban yea the kind on a bun saw him told his MoMma I liked him she pushed him over. I would never Lie bout my Dawg so this next part may be a little hard to believe, He has never chewed anything or has gone potty in the house but once! Cept when I got renters in then he felt compelled to mark their door every chance he got. Felt as though it was a sort of way of letten them know who's boss. gotta say I like the ViZla Idea as long as you have a jeep that can keep up with it. Maybe get a tracker "Telemitry tracker" i mean an as for the cat if you can get it to Howl you wouldn't need a siren for gettin to the Mud quicker, maybe yank its tail. *JOKE OK* I would never pull on a cats tail "unless I needed to get to the mud Quicker"

Attachments

• DSCN1612.JPG
    DSCN1612.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 1,290
  • DSCN1615.JPG
    DSCN1615.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 559
mutts are the best,mine rot/chow. loves to go,getting to old to get by his selfbut you can't leavehim lol

Attachments

• random pics 020.JPG
    random pics 020.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 2,721

American Bulldog, I've had two, loyal, kid friendly, had them before the jeep, but one could jump in the back of the truck with the tail gate up

Re: 1044745

Any dog can be a jeep dog! It doesn't matter what breed, they say some of the smartest dogs are mutts (mixed breed). Why not rescue one from the local animal shelter or the city pound? Any dog would be THRILLED to stick it's head out of your Jeep, but why not save a life, and give a doomed animal a second chance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [addsig]

ya that !!! "there is no such thing as a dumb dog, only poor trainers !" ;);)

try the aussie rescue . but know this ...they wont let an austrailian shepperd go to ANY human that doesn't check out. they are as careful as a baby adoption. may well trained aussies go to shelter for reasons of economy or relocation. You cant find a more intelligent breed...but that comes with challenges of its own..LOL...getting a dog is more than just rides in a jeep though. its 10-15 years of co-:-|:-|

Re: 1044745

Any dog can be a jeep dog! It doesn't matter what breed, they say some of the smartest dogs are mutts (mixed breed). Why not rescue one from the local animal shelter or the city pound? Any dog would be THRILLED to stick it's head out of your Jeep, but why not save a life, and give a doomed animal a second chance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [addsig]

I agree with the above quote. I have my breeds I like more than others, such as Boxers, Labs, Heelers, Shepherds but the rescues seem to know they are lucky and seem to appreciate it.
The purebred/AKC certified dogs I have had have been the biggest PITA compared to mixed breeds. To me the AKC paperwork only means the dog is certifiably stupid and inbred. black 87yj I do understand your poor trainer comment and I do not take it personal. But I have had a few dogs (all AKC) that I could train to do some stuff but not what was needed from them and they just had to be sold as a pet not a working dog.

Last edited:
Ol' "Stupid" is a Jeep dog from WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY the heck back!! Good ol' Stupid" is 100% pure MUTT. Couldn't tell ya what mix he is . . . just know he's one heck diggity-dang good ol Jeepin dawg for certain sure. He don't care if it's a CJ5 or a black YJ, or a green YJ or 3b, he just loves Jeepin and has his entire 12 yrs. He likes riding AND pa-diddling on the tires!!

Back