Paint gun advice needed

Junkpile

I need some help from painters, professional or not. We just got a 24'x14' paint booth, and I need paint gun suggestions. I have a primer gun and a halfway decent touch-up gun, but no fullsize paint gun. These guns are rather expensive, and I don't want to waste money. I am NOT a painter, and I'm not trying to make a living with this booth, just get good results....so I don't need top of the line, just good quality.

What brand/model do any of you use, and are you happy with it?

I like the HVLP guns. They use less paint, and make less overspray.
You can get some very decent guns for around a $100 if you look around.

image-missing.png

Congrats on your spray booth.
I'll call Foose and tell him to send you his next Riddler :lol: :lol: :lol:

I know you will have a blast!

strip paris hilton...o_O...<~~is that legal here?

aw man. here i was hoping this thread was about paintball, i was about to write you all kinds of good advice. paint guns though? i dunno a thing.

Can't give you any advice as to brand names but I do work in the automotive industry and in our factory all of our guns are HVLP (High Volume Low Pressure) guns....much less overspray. I'll check at work to see what kind we use if I get a chance but most likely they're very expensive.

Thanks guys. I guess I should have included in my first post that I was looking for HVLP. I've almost ordered a cheaper($100+) gun a couple of times, but am unsure. There are so many brands and models that the prices are all over the board. I don't want to order a gun for $130 and find out there is a much better one for $150 :roll: My dad is footing the bill for all of the equipment, and I've already snuck the idea in there that he needs to get a really nice gun for the business, but I'm looking for a personal gun that I know will get cleaned and taken care of and will be ready when I need to lay some paint across a Jeep. We just got the booth Thursday, and I've already got 3 Jeeps waiting in line......and I can't paint :lol:

Craig, if you can, find out for me what it is you guys use.

Also, is there any special precautions or booth prepping that I need to do if I wanted to do some powder coating in there? I may be able to get an oven too, and was thinking about getting a powder coat setup going.

I'm off to work tonight....graveyard shift sucks! I'll check when I'm there. As for powdercoating, we do that also. All I can tell you is that you have to make sure your powdercoating area is spotless. Any contaminants and it'll screw up the paint. You'll get swells all over the paint when it comes out of the oven (looks like little zits in the paint). You also have to make sure you don't have too much moisture in the air as it will cause the same problem. You'll need some kind of degreasing and cleaning system to prep parts before paint.

2wd vs. 4wd Disc Brakes

Junkpile wrote:
There are so many brands and models that the prices are all over the board

Yeah and you get the feeling they are all basically the same thing.
For instance, I bought an el cheapo HVLP at a Harbor Freight store for under $60 and I used it to paint my 69 F100 with a Urethane Enamel single stage and it worked great. since that is the last time I used the big gun, I can't give you any more info, but I went back and bought the same brand in the detail gun size for under $40 on sale and it works great. I have used it a bunch.

RE: New Jeep owner--- stuck @ 2000rpms...

Haven't had a chance to get to the painting side of the plant yet, it's the size of 4 football fields inside. I'll try and get to it as soon as I get some free time.....so busy, I'm worked like a slave.

Well, I typed you a good bit of info then the server crapped out.

Junk,
Check the CFM on your compressor. An HVLP (high volume low pressure) gun will require a larger shop style compressor. I run a 30 gallon compressor that puts out 6.6CFM at 40 psi and it was not big enough for the HVLP's I looked at. I ended up with an Ingersoll Rand gravity gun from Lowe's for $60. Once I got the paint thinned properly and the gun adjusted, it sprayed out great. I think the model was a 230G.

Also, if you are going to be doing a lot of spraying for the business you may want to consider an automatic gun cleaner. Safety Kleen rents them for about $40 a month and will come out and service them and change the fluid regularly. You take the cup off the gun and place it inside the machine, then put a clip on the trigger and set it on a spiggot inside. Close the lid and hit start. Ten minutes later you have a clean gun that's ready to go again. It saves a lot of time especially if you have to change colors regularly. You can get electric or pneumatic units.

RE: Motor mounts and Clifford header

One other piece of advice if you're gonna spend the money on a gun. Make sure it's rebuildable and parts are available for it. There are also different kinds of gun tips available that will give you different air atomization and spray patterns. Some tips aren't so good for certain applications because they'll cause your paint to look cloudy, run/sag ect, ect. If the tips are cheap enough you might want to try a few different kinds to see what best suits your needs. You might have to change tips depending on the kind of paint your using. When changing tips or before storage, make sure the small holes in the tips are kept very clean as they will affect your spray pattern and atomization. We soak and store all of our tips in a laquer thinner tip bath to keep them in good working condition.

RE: Sloppy steering

Cool, thanks guys. I'm thinking about buying a used Sata(sp?) HVLP gun. It supposedly costs around $250 new, and I can get it for $100.....but I don't know what I'm looking at good enough to tell if it's worth having or not.

Mix some Deep Woods Off in with your paint when you spray. That will keep the bugs out of the paint.

Thanks, I'll look into that whole website later when I have time.

I'm starting to get a little frustrated about the booth now. The only real reason we bought it was that it is already setup in a building we were in the process of leasing, but the building doesn't have enough power for the machinery we were putting in it......and after talking with the building owner, we might not lease the building unless some agreement concerning an upgrade to the wiring can be met. Sooooo, might have to tear down the booth and move it......or just sell it. Don't know yet.

I still need a gun though, regardless of all of that.

May be better suited for swap meet but

Junkpile said:
Thanks, I'll look into that whole website later when I have time.

I'm starting to get a little frustrated about the booth now. The only real reason we bought it was that it is already setup in a building we were in the process of leasing, but the building doesn't have enough power for the machinery we were putting in it......and after talking with the building owner, we might not lease the building unless some agreement concerning an upgrade to the wiring can be met. Sooooo, might have to tear down the booth and move it......or just sell it. Don't know yet.

I still need a gun though, regardless of all of that.

I also saw were they used a bunch of PVC pipe and fittings, place them together, tape plastic on, and put an in & out box fan each end. That looked good to me AND could be disassembled. They claim $50 to $75 for the booth.

RE: Oil pressure please help

Sorry it took so long. Been so busy at work, don't even have time for a coffee break some days. Here's the brand name of one of the kinds of guns we use. I think there's others we use as well but can't find them right now. The name on the side of the gun is Anest Iwata.

wiring harness for 90 YJ

Ritt, don't use box fans. The fumes are flammable. The air(fumes) that move through the box fan will pass by the electric motor, which could cause ignition. Use a squirrel cage or a belt-driven bladed fan, where the electric motor is out of the airstream.

Thanks for the brand info Craig.

RE: Wax stains on plastic parts

WOW,

I too am gonna be starting the tear down of my CJ and will be doing all the painting my self! Now I know who to call to give me help!
Do you need to use a seperate gun for primer or can rattle can primer also work the same if lightly sanded?

Back