It's That Time of Year Again

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: I shimmie

After a slow start, the tornado season should have kicked into high gear today. There was tons of energy in the atmosphere, a system set up to bring cool dry air in from the Rockies colliding with another bringing warm moist air up from the gulf. All the prediction centers were buzzing with the news, giving a high probability of a major outbreak in the central to north east parts of Kansas. Sunshine and I took off around 2pm, heading north on I-135. Just 15 minutes out, we got our first report of a funnel and subsequent tornado warning. It was 4 counties away, or about 80 miles, and moving away from us. We continued up to Salina, then east on I-70. Well, we tried to, anyway. There was a ton of construction on both interstates which slowed us down quite a bit. By the time the second warning was issued, they had begun shutting down sections of I-70 between us and the tornado because of flooding and the subsequent accidents it caused. We managed to catch one wall cloud and some small hail before the storms died down. On the way back home we got some nice shots of mammatus cloud formations, as well as a shot of the storm that was south and east of home base.

The wall cloud:

64051-4.jpg

The mammatus formations:
64052-4.jpg

64053-4.jpg

64054-4.jpg

And the storm southeast of home:
June405-4.jpg

The day was pretty much a bust, as there were only two funnel clouds sighted and we were nowhere near them. They never reached the ground, and only lasted a couple of minutes each. This week is supposed to bring yet another similar system in, so chances are good that something will come to fruition.

On a happier note, I did find this interesting sign along I-70:
JeepRoad-3.jpg

Unfortunately, it was a paved road. :cry:

RE: New wrenching injury!

Those are some really cool pictures Sparky!!

I really like the "mammatus formations" ones...those are so cool!!!

Sorry you didn't get to see any good tornados though :cry: , there's always next time :D

Nice pics, Sparky,

But those pics also me appreciate upstate New York.

Despite all my complaints about our winters, I like living where a tornado is something one sees on TV and our mountains and hillsides stay where they are.

Regards,

Gadget

You know, I was thinking about ya at work tonight...

So, here in my Michigan, we were predicted a nice 89 degree day, with some hellacious thunderstorms rolling in later. Being that it was 84 yesterday, I wasn't to geeked about the heat, but I do love a good thunderstorm... So, it's a beautiful and HOT sunny day, no sign of storm, and the front that was rolling in appeared to be dissapating over Grand Rapids... So, I'm doing my thing in the kitchen, dealing with the Sunday dinner rush, when all of a sudden, our power gets all weird, things are flipping off left and right, lights are flickering, all the vent hoods start to shudder... It comes back, then blinks out again, then comes back, at which point, everyone's all like, Hey, kitchen guys, look!

Being on the line, you don't notice what's going on out in the dining room, although there is a window that you can see through into the dining room, and therefore the outer windows of the glasshouse, you are tpp busy with matters of au jus and chicken o'tenders to notice such things... The sky has turned green, the wind is blowing our little trees (just planted a month ago) left and right, and there is debris flying everywhere... Next thing I know, all of our guests are infiltrating the kitchen to take cover in the coolers, office, dry goods room, and anywhere we can put them. We had a tornado sighted in the county, in the township, apparantly, right around our building.

Yep, we get 'em too... That was fun, we had to shut down early; since everything was going willy nilly, we had to shut down all the line equipment, by the time the storm had blown over, we were at the morning point; it takes about 1/2 an hour to heat up and start up the equipment to cook food on... So, we closed, cleaned up, and here I am... The lousy thing is, though, with all the crazy wind and rain, the temperature didn't drop a notch, it's still too hot, and very very very muggy... Blech!

RE: Best lift to get?

Saurian said:
...... The sky has turned green.................

Green skies are NOT good..........seems I remember that from a few twisters in my past.. :shock:

mud4feet said:
Saurian said:
...... The sky has turned green.................

Green skies are NOT good..........seems I remember that from a few twisters in my past.. :shock:

Greenage!! Means there's a lot of hail suspended in the updraft of the meso. Sunlight filters through the ice and makes it look green. True, NOT good....NOT good at ALL!!!!

Yeah, I saw some video from Michigan...looks like Illinois, Missouri, Nebraska, and points NE saw a lot better (or worse) stuff than we did.

Saurian, I bet if you'd been outside, you'd have felt the hot and cold and hot and cold winds blowing......that's definitely NOT GOOD!!!!!!! But it sure is cool when it happens! 8)

mingez said:
Dang it's flat out there.

No, look closer....there's a hill in that 3rd picture! :lol:

I prefer flat when I'm chasing....I wanna be able to see as far to the horizon as I can.

Actually, where we were chasing was the northern end of the flint hills, lot's of big hills that made the poor YJ grunt and groan in 4th, as well as made for some really impressive flash flooding. Water was pouring off the tops of the road cuts, making big waterfalls, and we saw a rest area along I-70 get swamped by a 5 foot wall of water!!

It was going cold, warm, cold, warm, I went out, and saw some of the most incredible cloud formations I had ever seen whipping above our back parking lot, but I couldn't stay out too long, there was so much sand blowing everywhere, it was getting very uncomfortable out... Plus, I had to help direct guests to the produce cooler...

It was interesting to say the least... At least it broke the dinner rush :lol:

Another stormy night on the plains....we've had a heckuva storm tonight! One of the strangest ones I've ever seen. It actually started about 50 miles NE of us, but by the time I got home from work, it had back-built to just over the top of us. For the past two hours it's been building directly over us and streaming NE....not a drop of rain to the south, west or north-west, just all brewing right on top of my little dugout on the prairie. We've had 60mph winds, torrential rains, and golfball sized hail. We've had just under 2 inches of rain in the last hour......where's my boat.........

1968 J3000 for sale

As of 4:30am we've had 6.25" of rain in 7 hours. Thinkin' maybe I should have splurged and bought a snorkel for the YJ! Problem being that we've had several inches over the past week, so the ground is already past the saturation point, and all of the rain from last night and this morning is pure runoff, making for some major flooding. Plus, I left a 4x4x4 foot hole in a lady's back yard last night that's sure to be a swimming pool this morning with a mountain of gooey mud next to it.......all because some idiot decided to drive a fencepost through a mainline!

WOW, now that is a lot of rain!!

I don't really know if I would want to live in an area like that, but something like that sure would be fun to experience at least once!

Re: RE: Dumb Gangstas

Took me nearly 3 hours to get to work today because of all the flooding between here and there. More rain is predicted tonight, tomorrow, Saturday and Sunday......

Round 3:

Shelf3-5.jpg

Shot this tonight on the way home from work. Great shelf cloud with greenage behind it, indicating hail. Shortly after this shot, I drove right into the heart of it (had to, it was between me and home). I didn't have the back or side windows in the Jeep, and it was raining so hard I couldn't see 10 feet ahead of me. Having the windshield wipers on high made no difference at all...I could see just as poorly with them on as I could with them off. 40-50 mph winds driving the rain horizontally across the road....and did I mention no windows. Wet.....really, really, really wet. Of course, after the 6.25" of rain night before last, another .34" last night, and an inch tonight, there was some MAJOR flooding. I had to swerve to miss a fish on my way to work this morning. Seriously!! There were about a half dozen carp swimming across the road east of town. Looked to be about 3 or 4 pounders. One town north of us got 15" in less than 6 hours night before last!!!

Storm Prediction Center is forecasting severe t-storms and heavy rain through Monday.....gonna be a busy, soggy weekend for Sparky and the Storm Buggy!!

RE: OT: my new baby....

wow, that picture is REALLY cool. I've never seen the green like that before--I guess our hail here is nothing compared to what you guys get!

88Wrangles said:
wow, that picture is REALLY cool. I've never seen the green like that before--I guess our hail here is nothing compared to what you guys get!

GREEN IS NOT GOOD!!!!!!! Scary!! Great pic, Sparky!!!!!

Of course, after the 6.25" of rain night before last, another .34" last night, and an inch tonight, there was some MAJOR flooding. I had to swerve to miss a fish on my way to work this morning. Seriously!! There were about a half dozen carp swimming across the road east of town. Looked to be about 3 or 4 pounders. One town north of us got 15" in less than 6 hours night before last!!!

So..................I'm guessing the sprinkler business is a little lagging right now? :lol: :lol: :lol:

mud4feet said:
Of course, after the 6.25" of rain night before last, another .34" last night, and an inch tonight, there was some MAJOR flooding. I had to swerve to miss a fish on my way to work this morning. Seriously!! There were about a half dozen carp swimming across the road east of town. Looked to be about 3 or 4 pounders. One town north of us got 15" in less than 6 hours night before last!!!

So..................I'm guessing the sprinkler business is a little lagging right now? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nope, just a whole lot muddier!! :lol: Still doing tons of installs, just finished one yesterday, and starting another at the Wichita Country Club today...and fixing broken systems in between!

All that rain sure makes it hard to find a slow leak in a 3 foot deep system, though! :cry:

Back