Spare Tire Carrier ???

LazyK

RE: Heater Core Bypass?

First off, new to the Jeep world (CJ7 48 hrs ago). Cool site.

The CJ has a fiberglass tub without the tailgate. I'm looking for a spare tire carrier that will just pin into the reese hitch receiver. Don't need anything fancy that swings out of the way. Has anybody seen something like this available in your 4x4 parts catologs or do I need to find someone that knows how to weld to make something up?

RE: Vinyl sticker cutter or plotter

Hey, that's exactly what I had in mind. You think that angle that it sits at would look weird off the rear of the Jeep?

HOLY SmOKES

Welcome to Jeepz LazyK. I'm not sure how high those 2" receiver tire mounts are, but you may have clearance issues if you run oversize tires. One other thing is be aware that it may be a bit noisy over bumps but with a fiberglass tub I guess it's your only option if you don't want to buy an expensive bumper/mount.

Hi-Ya, LazyK,

Welcome to Jeepz-Dot-Com.

As an alternative idea, somebody used to manufacture a spare tire mount that attached to one of the diagonal rear down-tubes of the CJ rollbar.

The mount clamped to the rollbar tube. The spare bolted to the mount plate. The tire stood upright on its tread on the rear floor pan of a Jeep.

As I recall, this system worked only if the Jeep rear seat was removed.

Easy gizmo to fabricate if no longer manufactured and retailed.

Regards,

Gadget

Yeah, I was thinking that a reese insert tire carrier would most likely have a lot of rattle to it just because of the little bit of play between the insert and receiver. She's already got a few rattles, what's one more, lol.

RE: Does SOA + 4" lifted Springs = good Idea?

ahhhh duct tape

RE: herculiner

what can't you fix with duct tape? that wonderful product makes even the least creative person look like macguyver.

RE: Name that vehicle...

Thick, 3" wide electrical tape works good too...it's what I use for stuff like that.

Most brands of Duct Tape gets all yucky when it get's wet.

Back