Another Jeep Decision

Special_K

Okay, the other day, I started selling a Jeep for an acquaintance since its easier to sell from my location (i.e. a big city) than from a po-dunk town. Make a long story short, it's still unregistered, uninsured (shhhh!), un-everything since I hadn't been planning to hang onto it at all.

However, I'm beginning to have second thoughts. On one hand, its a really good value (i.e. 89 YJ, really good condition, no rust, 4" suspension lift, 3" body lift, 35" boggers, full soft top & doors, full hard top and full doors in excellent cond, bikini top, duster cover, CD player, speakers, etc) and I only have $4400 in it...I effectively gave the guy the money with the intent to resell it for little (if any) more than that. I could easily get that $4400 back out in a heartbeat.......or I could simply decide to keep it.

On one hand, at $4400, its a really good value...this reoccurred to me as I was putting the hard doors in the basement. On the other hand, I need another Jeep like I need a hole in the head. On the third hand, it seems like such a good value. On the fourth hand, I've been down this road before...why would I do it again???

There's one teen who came to look at it earlier today and seems to really want it for $4900. He/his Mom says he'll be able to have the funds by Monday. If I were his age, I'd be really excited about it to. It's a really good deal. But do I really want to let it go? It's been a few days and its beginning to grow on me. Help!! Any thoughts???

-K

Pics?

Remember, you like a drug addict in a pharmacy. We are all sad sad mentally ill people...us Jeepers.

Count to 10 and breath.... you don't need another jeep.

:wink:

On the other hand if it were me I'd keep it.

mingez said:
Pics?

Count to 10 and breath....

Hehehe.

At one point, he was looking underneath and yells to his best friend "hey, it has a new tranmission!". I didn't know that :oops: and I'm standing there thinking..."hey, I knew it was a great deal, but maybe its an even better deal than I realized".

As for the kid that wants it, it's his Mom's reward for him getting TWO A's!! TWO A's!!! My mom would gloss over the 5 A's and give me the ringer for the one or two C's. :roll: Either way, he seemed like a good kid so, I'm happy to pass the deal on to him...I should charge extra for calling me sir. :) I'm just contemplating whether to let it go at all.

I've been trying to think of a practial excuse (I mean, reason) to keep it. It's a little big for me to use regularly (oops, that's not a reason to keep it)...but maybe it could be my off-roader...yeah, that's it...now if only I went off-roading with some regularity. :wink:

Here's a pic: http://home.comcast.net/~buyerinfo/89_YJ.JPG

Re: RE: Another Jeep Decision

Think of it this way... It will eventually be too old, rusted, beat up, tired and run down to keep it. You'll likely move on from it one day. Let than day be now... Pass some excitement on to another young, jeep-seeking soul

RE: Jeep Trailor???

Snitty said:
Think of it this way... It will eventually be too old, rusted, beat up, tired and run down to keep it. You'll likely move on from it one day. Let than day be now... Pass some excitement on to another young, jeep-seeking soul

Nothing like good, sound logic to the rescue.

I don't think I'd have the heart to keep it from this particular young, jeep-seeking soul as I'd probably end up doing relatively little to it. I may even throw in a bonus for him. For me, it would be a cool project but I really wouldn't have the time...afterall I have neglected my own YJ a little more than usual lately. :(

Just thought I'd share my little adventure (along with my somewhat serious thoughts of keeping it). :D

Thanks for the input! :wink:

from my point of view as someone who doesnt have a Jeep but want, no NEED one. and you already have one or more, id sell er to that young Jeeper. think of the fun he will have with it. OH OH OH i have an idea. invite him to an outing with you and your buds one weekend to do a little wheelin. that way you can teach the boy of the way of the Jeep. that would be awsome.

It would be a pretty cool Jeep to keep, but if you already have a Jeep that's been neglected...give it a little more attention and sell this one.

And I agree, invite the kid to go wheeling with you and your buddy's some time, and teach him what you know!

Keep it, sell yours. You don't use yours that much right? Might as well have a big mean one if it's just a playtoy.

How much of a favor are you really doing for the kid? 7" of lift and 35" Boggers under the inexperienced hand of a kid that still gets report card rewards? Not that he would get hurt or anything, but think about the repair and upkeep costs. Nothing wrong with selling it to him, but would another Jeep possibly be better for him at this stage? Just thought I would throw in the flip side of what he is getting into here.....

Junkpile said:
How much of a favor are you really doing for the kid? 7" of lift and 35" Boggers under the inexperienced hand of a kid that still gets report card rewards? Not that he would get hurt or anything, but think about the repair and upkeep costs. Nothing wrong with selling it to him, but would another Jeep possibly be better for him at this stage? Just thought I would throw in the flip side of what he is getting into here.....

I gotta agree with Junk on this one. That's possibly way too much Jeep for someone that young to learn on. I'd hate to think of what he'd do to it, or what it'd do to him. Sell him yours, and keep that one.

Ohhhhh...I just saw the Pic. I take back what I said earlier!

Keep it, and slap the young kid and the face and yell "MINE!!" Tell him his 2 measly A's aren't anything special and then stomp his feet. After that, run away with the keys jingling in your hand screaming out the words "It's mine my precious!"

Hey Special_K...post a pic of your current YJ to help us better decide!

RE: Not firing

junk's point is great. there's a kid that posts on the message board for my local club and he's got a zj, and he's asking about a lift. he wants at least 4+ inches. but he doesnt want to wheel, doesnt want to spend more than $500, and wants to tow a boat (not sure size, but still wouldnt want to tow with 33s on stock gears) once a week.

that said, all of us in the club couldnt get it through his head that if he just wanted it for looks, nothing wrong with a bb, no need to get 4" to be a poser. the problems you could run into are infinite. you dont have to balk on the sale, but at least tell the kid you hope he's mechanically inclined, or wants to learn. there's an awful lot that can get broken on 35's, especially boggers. and even more so depending on axles/gearing. all kinds of stuff. i just love how people get into something like this without any idea of what to really expect.

RE: 2005 TTC videos

Geeez, all you guys have some very good points. I thought you were supposed to make my decision easier.

His age does give me a little pause. A few years ago, some teenagers were hurt leaving my house on their way to North Carolina in an overly lifted POS jeep with some major problems. I tried to convice them not to continue driving it that distance given the problems (anti-sway bar off, for one) but eventually let them convince me that it would be okay (I could have stopped them). Not 15 minutes later, I get a frantic call from one of them. They'd just had an accident where one guy was thrown out and it rolled over on him...on the pavement. He's really lucky it didn't kill him. I stayed in the ER all day from the early afternoon to wee hours of the morning until his parents got there. He was utimately okay but not without some major scars that he had to have cosmetic surgery for later. I felt partly responsible since I could have prevented it. :(

The single biggest difference here is this Jeep is in good condition. But it is kind of high...especially for a teenager. And there is the expense as well although I'm not as concerned about that. It could sell for $6K as-is so he'd get his money back and he can learn when to say when in terms of upgrades (and offroading)...provided one of those 2 A's was in math. :lol:

I wouldn't sell my YJ. It would cost a lot more (probably too much) but, more importantly, I could never see myself parting with it...at least not this week. We've been through too much. :D

Damn guys...this was supposed to be easy.

mingez said:
Ohhhhh...I just saw the Pic. I take back what I said earlier!

Keep it, and slap the young kid and the face and yell "MINE!!" Tell him his 2 measly A's aren't anything special and then stomp his feet. After that, run away with the keys jingling in your hand screaming out the words "It's mine my precious!"

LOL!!! :lol:

RE: FS: "If you can read this... ROLL ME OVER!" de

Thirty minutes later...

Okay, I hate posting three of my own posts in a row but after that last post, the anti-way bar thing kind of nagged me. I go out and check...lo and behold...no anti-sway bar!! :shock:

After the incident I mentioned above, I could never allow him to take it without the anti-sway bar attached. It's easy enough to get one and put it on, but it's got me thinking....

So, you're still gonna smack him around some...right? JK

just to let you know, an anti-sway bar would not cause an accident. Those kids were DEFINATLY doing something they should not have been doing!

I never run sway bars on any of my wheeling rigs.

What I Want...

This is all BS!

Why aren't you guys helping Special_K, instead of humoring him?

You all know better!

Because Gadget is highly trained, he recognizes all the early symptoms of "Jeepervitis." I have seen it happen many times. Sadly, too many times.

First one Jeep, and everything is cool. Then, it slowly creeps up on you and takes over -- creeping in as if on cat's feet: a second Jeep.

Insidious, it is terminal Jeepervitis.

If Special_K keeps the second Jeep, I give him another year. It takes about that long for Jeepervitis to take hold. In another year, being the owner of two Jeeps, Special_K will live in a house like this:

image-missing.png

and mow his lawn (during the rare sober moments) with one of these:

6303203_546f6842ed-6.jpg

Thereafter, he will succumb to the need for a vacation home:

image-missing.png

And then comes the boat:

image-missing.png

The uncontrollable urge to jump headlong into sporting activities:

image-missing.png

Special occasions, such as birthdays, will be celebrated in new ways:

image-missing.png

There will be the anniversary dinners at the "Burger-King" drive-thru in a fancy car:

image-missing.png

New philosophies will take control of his mind:

image-missing.png

And then, the urge to take a bride:

image-missing.png

and have children:

image-missing.png

Yes, yes, I have seen it happen -- Oh, too many times!

Save yourself now, Special_K. Dump the friends YJ!

If you don't, it is inevitable ... one day, there will be an XJ.

It will be too late then -- too late to save yourself.

Regards,

Doctor Gadget

Inspector-Gadget said:

Ahhhhh, the old PBR huh, if I can sort out the fuzzy memories correctly, That was my 18th birthday party!

Back