Free Jeep!

Junkpile

A man I know is relocating his auto repair shop across town and he has a bunch of vehicles still sitting behind his old shop, which is right beside our new shop. I asked him about two XJs that he had left sitting back there. He pointed to one and said that it belongs to a friend of his, but he might want to get rid of it......Then he pointed to the other one and told me that one was his....."why, you want it?"......"You can have it, I've got the title back at my shop"......At this point I wasn't sure if I(or my wife, or anyone else that knows me) should be happy or not about owning another junk Jeep to add to the collection. After looking at it, I think I scored.
The guy before him put a new transmission in it and then the engine blew up, so he gave up on it and sold it to the man that gave it to me.

It's a 4.0, automatic, np231, power everything, leather, sunroof.....it's a Wagoneer Limited with all the funky wood interior trim and the big wood stickers down the side.....just my style. Other than being ugly and having a blown engine, it's really not that bad at all.

There is also a 3/4 ton 78 Ford on 44s sitting out there......I may have to strike up another conversation.

Anyway.....A couple of hours ago I dug down deep and found the energy to go pull it out from behind the shop and onto the pavement so I could get a good look at it and get some pics to post.......only to find out that my wife had taken the memory card out of the Camera so she could have the pics developed, and I didn't think I needed to bring the big camera bag with the extras in it.....so no pics. Tomorrow though, and then you guys have to help me figure out what to do with it. I've got three or four different ideas for it floating around in my head right now.

Take the drivetrain from the 78 ford and drop it in the xj.

RE: not in 4 wheel

image-missing.png

Here's a pic of the turd sandwich on wheels

image-missing.png

and here is the Ford truck. I really don't see the guy putting up the effort to come get it, so I might ask if I can have that one too. I just want the axles, but I noticed today that the engine/transmission/Tcase is still in it too.

So, back to the XJ......what do you guys think?
Make it a driver? Cut it up and make a mud racer for the small tire class? 1 tons and big tires? Trail rig? What would you do?

I'm also getting a rusted out 79 Cherokee Chief with a 360/T-18/and D44 axles that I could use for a drivetrain if I go the trail rig route.

Sorry about that, I didn't realize the pics were so big. Can a mod resize them, maybe?

Junkpile said:
Cut it up and make a mud racer for the small tire class?

I like that one. If you think about it it's perfect for that being mid-sized. you'd need some frame re-inforcement though.

I dunno though, it sounds like it would be a nice ride without all the woodgrain on the side and a motor that ran.

Nah, it was free. Cheap mods, lots of cutting and drive it like ya stole it be it trails or a race.

:twisted:

RE: Engine Troubles of some sort

great thing about them wagoneers is the cherokee front clip should bolt right on. couse well them over under headlights are worse than one square headlight on a jeep.

I've got a 4.0 out of an 87 model, but I don't want anything from it except the block.......Renix sucks, and the low port head just doesn't cut it. I thought stroker, but I don't want to put that kind of money in it. :?
If I don't tear it apart before then, I may stab one of my AMC V8s in it and just go have fun with it until I settle on a good build plan. I kinda want to do the SJ drivetrain swap, and even convert to front leaves so I can easily run lots of lift. Again though, I'd rather not jump into something that involved with the CJs still unfinished.

The first 304 I had in the CJ7 has a big ol nasty solid lifter camshaft. I may just install some new rings and bearings in it and run that.

How do you go about lifting these things say 8-10" on the cheap? :lol: I can run up to a 38" tire in the small tire class, but would rather run a 36".

jeepless20 said:
great thing about them wagoneers is the cherokee front clip should bolt right on. couse well them over under headlights are worse than one square headlight on a jeep.

I like that it doesn't have a seven slot grill, and the over/under lights just makes it look even more different. I have no plans to remove any of the woodgrain either. I'm a freak. How bad would somebody feel getting outrun by that creampuff?!? :lol:

Chat Room Active (if only by one)

i like the fake wood stuff. just not a big fan of the over under lights. i tell ya if i got beat by that i would have to shoot myself. lol.

8-10" lift... if you keep the coil spring setup you'll need longarms. Coils are cheap but the arms cost a bundle. The rear is already in a leaf SOA config so you should know what to do with that... springs/shackles/blocks/whatevah. Some folks use Dakota leafs to make packs.

You can easily run 36's with 6" of lift and cutting sheetmetal (actually 4.5" or 5" if you get downright rude and ugly with the saw). TJ flares, no flares, you get the idea.

Could be a fun project.

Did the renix use the peugot trannies?

ok so heres my ideas for er. heres what you should do. you'll want to drop it bout 6-8" and put some 22-24" dubs on that beast. you'll need a good sterio in it so you will need some good 12s or 15s in the rear area couple thousend watts of power. deffinately needs a wing and some sort of ground affects. WHAT AM I SAYING... SOMEONE SLAP ME AHHHHHHHHH. ive been watching too much overhaulin.

RE: On the road again

I could replace the 6-8" drop with a 4"drop and replace the front live axle with a beam style from a 2WD version......then I could replace the dubs with some bigs and little Centerlines.......instead of the stereo equipment I could install a 10# nitrous bottle......You know, that's not too bad of an idea, thanks jeepless!

I could nickname it "Hiroshima".....cause it would be da BOMB.

Okay, someone can slap me now too.

Back