NASA Discovery-What is your Opinion??

Sparky-Watts said:
graewulf said:
TwistedCopper said:
What the hell are they doing up there anyway? It's a pretty pricey hobby our government has ain't it?

Hobby? hardly.. many of the gadgets and technologies that you take for granted were developed directly for, or as a result of, space travel. Everything from TV dinners to velcro to many of the plastics that we now use were developed as a result of sending people into space. Every time the space shuttle went up, they ran experiments on how to improve technology. Every time a new spacecraft gets launched there are new technologies being implemented, which trickle down into your microwave ovens, dvd players, and cell phones.

I was hoping someone would step in a set the record straight. And you haven't even scratched the surface. Meds, surgical tools and techniques as well as graftable tissues, alloys of metal once thought impossible, micro-miniaturization of electronic parts and circuits, etc. etc. etc.

Yes, but necessity is the mother of invention. In other words if we had spent that time, money, and recources on things that are of greater need we would have been better off. We don't need a space program to invent a microwave. We have the brainpower to make it if it is needed, but they are busy playing space program. Curing cancer, alternative fuels, teaching kids how to read and write, and how to keep a dryer from eating one sock... these are the things that insterest me. Velcro is a nice luxury, but I'd like to not be paing $50 to fill my commuter vehicle.

How about spending that money to expedite victory and get our troops home safe from overseas?

Sorry folks, I think it is wasteful, and it's got nothing to do with the lack of excitement. It's a lack of need. Let's fix up our backyard before exploring a universe full of dark lifelessness.

90Xjay said:
Hobby? hardly.. many of the gadgets and technologies that you take for granted were developed directly for, or as a result of, space travel. Everything from TV dinners to velcro to many of the plastics that we now use were developed as a result of sending people into space.
'

True, but most of what you listed came from the 1960's and early 70's.

It's not what NASA has done for us, but what has NASA done for us "lately"

OK.. here's a recent innovation. The microprocessor sitting in the PC that you are using to type these messages exists solely because of manufacturing advances with silicon chips as a direct result of experiments carried out on the space shuttle within the last 10 years!

Let's see... other recent ones: Global Positioning Systems, Cell phones (Yes, modern cell phones are a direct result of space to ground communications), PDAs, Digital Cameras, Solar cells (major advances due to space based research), several new cancer drugs, the list goes on & on....

backfire

graewulf said:
90Xjay said:
Hobby? hardly.. many of the gadgets and technologies that you take for granted were developed directly for, or as a result of, space travel. Everything from TV dinners to velcro to many of the plastics that we now use were developed as a result of sending people into space.
'

OK.. here's a recent innovation. The microprocessor sitting in the PC that you are using to type these messages exists solely because of manufacturing advances with silicon chips as a direct result of experiments carried out on the space shuttle within the last 10 years!

Let's see... other recent ones: Global Positioning Systems, Cell phones (Yes, modern cell phones are a direct result of space to ground communications), PDAs, Digital Cameras, Solar cells (major advances due to space based research), several new cancer drugs, the list goes on & on....

You've got it all wrong. Everyone knows that all this technology came from aliens. When the ship crashed at Roswell, we took their ship and reverse engineered their equipment. It's all in the book, "The Day After Roswell" written by Colonel Corso, who was head of Foreign Technology in Army Research and Development at the Pentagon in the early 1960s.

Colonel Corso tells that there were five extraterrestrials, 4-1/2 feet tall with greyish-brown skin, four-fingered hands and oversized hairless heads, found at the Roswell UFO crash site, two of them still alive. One tried to run away and was shot by nervous soldiers. The other was still alive but dying when he arrived in the back of an Army truck at Roswell Army Air Field. He was Post Duty Officer at Fort Riley, Kansas in 1947, the night a shipment of Roswell artifacts arrived from Fort Bliss. Colonel Corso examined the shipment, which included one of the dead extraterrestrials preserved in a thick light-blue liquid. The shipment was destined for what is now called Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio. Corso speaks about serving in President Eisenhower's National Security Council, and seeing the memos about the Roswell incident and the "goods" retrieved from it.

The Colonel divulges how he spearheaded the Army's supersecret reverse-engineering project that "seeded" extraterrestrial technology at American corporations such as IBM, Hughes Aircraft, Bell Labs, and Dow Corning - without their knowledge. He describes the devices found aboard the Roswell craft, and how they became the precursors for today's integrated circuit chips, fibre optics, lasers, night-vision equipment, super-tenacity fibers (such as Kevlar plastic armor), and classified discoveries, such as psychotronic devices that can translate human thoughts into signals that control machinery, Stealth aircraft technology, and Star Wars particle-beam devices. He also discusses the role that extraterrestrial technology played in shaping geopolitical policy and events; how it helped the United States surpass the Russians in space; spurred elaborate Army initiatives such as SDI (Star Wars Projects), Project Horizon (to place a military base on the Moon), and HAARP; and ultimately brought about the end of the Cold War.

Colonel Corso also said that captured UFOs were/are kept at Norton, Edwards and Nellis (Area 51) Air Force Bases. He said a UFO Working Group was set up by President Truman in September, 1947, a group some call MJ-12, and that it has functioned ever since. In the 1950s two crude prototypes of antigravity craft were constructed, but were powered by crude human nuclear fission generators, and were inefficient and leaked radiation. He says that the Star Wars program was always primarily to prepare for war against the extraterrestrials in case of invasion.
http://www.all-natural.com/corso.html

I actually read the book and it was really fascinating. Whether I believe it or not is a whole 'nother story. :D

On topic, I do belive that we need to explore our universe, I just think that it's time for a new ship. They need to get on the ball because they don't even have anything new designed yet.

RE: "Dune Fest"-Winchester Bay, OR.

You've got it all wrong. Everyone knows that all this technology came from aliens. When the ship crashed at Roswell, we took their ship and reverse engineered their equipment. It's all in the book, "The Day After Roswell" written by Colonel Corso, who was head of Foreign Technology in Army Research and Development at the Pentagon in the early 1960s.

Have you all been to Roswell? I know you're kidding South, but everyone in that town is a nut job. It's only 4 hours from here, but lemme tell you...it's so NOT worth the drive.

I respect the program of NASA, and I also agree that it, as an organization, is broken and needs some revamping. But it would be silly to cut all the funding for it, for it's an important endeavor.

Conspiracy theories and cries of foul always surround sciences and research we don't understand. Doesn't mean it's time to dump the programs.

If I don't understand it, and I don't see results, something must be wrong. We are such a "what have you done for me lately" society as 90xjay said, and perhaps we are too "knee-jerk."
"Why fund AIDS research, there's no cure yet!? Let's stop funding for it!"

BUT, we should and DO demand an explanation for things concerning NASA. And perhaps a more watchful eye on the "what" and "how" is definetly in order. I do however, commend the folks who put their blood, sweat and tears (and lives) into the effort.

[quote="south442]
[/quote]

Oh, I know that... but we need to test it out before we release it to the public, just to make sure there isn't a hidden agenda in the alien design..... lol

Seriously though, we need to be in space. We need to be on the Moon again.

graewulf said:
90Xjay said:
'

Let us not forget Tang!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

And speaking of government hobbies......what are the Army and National Guard doing sponsoring NASCAR racers??????? Your tax dollars at work.

South Park Character Creation

graewulf said:
90Xjay said:
'

Here's another angle to look at this with:

Think of what they would have come up with had much of their time not been designing the shuttle. There is always motivation for the creative mind to do it's magic. Money, prestige, and fame to name a few, but as I stated earlier the old standby (necessity) is still the biggest.

All of these things would have come about without the space program if and as they were needed. Those brilliant minds would not have been sleeping just because they were not working for NASA.

RE: How to dispose of hardtop?

TwistedCopper said:

Think of what they would have come up with had much of their time not been designing the shuttle. There is always motivation for the creative mind to do it's magic. Money, prestige, and fame to name a few, but as I stated earlier the old standby (necessity) is still the biggest.

All of these things would have come about without the space program if and as they were needed. Those brilliant minds would not have been sleeping just because they were not working for NASA.

Yes, but many of the innovations they've come up with would not have been possible in earth's atmosphere.

Sparky-Watts said:
TwistedCopper said:

Yes, but many of the innovations they've come up with would not have been possible in earth's atmosphere.

Not to mention we would still be using Pentium class CPUs in our computers, air bags probably would not exist, cell phones would still be car mounted, etc.. Yes these things would have been invented eventually, but the space program has accelerated the pace tremendously. Sure, the minds would have been out there, but the need tp develop the technology would not have been.

The space shuttle has been a big part of this. The techniques that they designed to repair the shuttle in orbit (and have been testing for the last week in space) have already led to new polymers and manufacturing techniques being developed that we will see in our world in another 5 years or so.

Mud wrote:
And speaking of government hobbies......what are the Army and National Guard doing sponsoring NASCAR racers??????? Your tax dollars at work.

And why the US Post Office has made Lance Armstrong a multi-millionaire? Did we need postage rate increases to buy Lance his home in France? Sorry for the hijack, this needs to be a whole new thread.

I want my CJ-5 to look like this!

Sparky-Watts said:
TwistedCopper said:

For instance...?

TwistedCopper said:
Sparky-Watts said:
TwistedCopper said:

For instance...?

For instance, many hundreds of hybird plants, medicines, cellular research to combat cancer, etc. One of the chemo drugs my father was on was developed by NASA in the shuttle.

Heater Fan Problems

Sparky-Watts said:
TwistedCopper said:
Sparky-Watts said:
TwistedCopper said:

For instance...?

For instance, many hundreds of hybird plants, medicines, cellular research to combat cancer, etc. One of the chemo drugs my father was on was developed by NASA in the shuttle.

Why would they not have been possible in this atmosphere?

TwistedCopper said:
Sparky-Watts said:
TwistedCopper said:
Sparky-Watts said:
TwistedCopper said:

For instance...?

Why would they not have been possible in this atmosphere?

I'm not a scientist (although I did sleep at a Holiday Inn last night), but there's a little thing called a perfect vacuum, as well as another little thing called zero gravity that both contribute immensely to many of the experiments conducted both aboard the shuttle as well as the space station. Also factored into some of the experiments is direct, unaltered sunlight that doesn't have to fight it's way through the atmosphere. I can't believe you've never heard of any of these scientific experiments over the past 20 years or so of shuttle flights.

RE: 4-Link and Buggy Springs

Sparky-Watts said:
I can't believe you've never heard of any of these scientific experiments over the past 20 years or so of shuttle flights.

Of course I've heard of them. I just find it difficult to believe two things:

1. That these things could not have come about without a space program.

2. That the money spent on NASA could not have been more productive elsewhere.

I have yet to read anything to make me feel differently. How our government spends the portion of my paycheck that they hijack is a great source of contention with me, and NASA is kind of a hot button on the subject.

Twisted--- I, for one, couldn't agree with you more on the subject.

I like seeing the different government programs that people support/ don't support spending money on. Very interesting stuff.

TwistedCopper said:
Sparky-Watts said:
I can't believe you've never heard of any of these scientific experiments over the past 20 years or so of shuttle flights.

Of course I've heard of them. I just find it difficult to believe two things:

1. That these things could not have come about without a space program.

2. That the money spent on NASA could not have been more productive elsewhere.

I have yet to read anything to make me feel differently. How our government spends the portion of my paycheck that they hijack is a great source of contention with me, and NASA is kind of a hot button on the subject.

ok, whatever.

RE: cd players

I believe sparky agrees to disagree. They come home in no time now and I've got some strong prayers going up myself.

Lady

Man I have to go to that nasty place called work! BUT the go/no go decision is coming in less than 15 minutes for the shuttle. They expect to be in thier last orbit right now and fire thier return engines in about a half hour landing in California instead of Florida. The east is blanketed in rain this morning. Prayers still going up!

Lady

Back