I know it is personal preference but...

pipes94xj

Ok guys n gals, heres my dilema, I currently have a 94 Xj that I got at New Years. It was a one owner, middle aged lady driven, and had 107,000 miles on her. She just turned over 116,000 yesterday (8-11.) She runs strong, transmission is smooth, soon as I got her I changed every fluid and take really good care of her. Before this teal beauty came along I had a 97 TJ and I am really starting to miss havin one. So I started lookin around and I found a real good deal on a 98 tj w/ 96,000 miles 4cyl 5speed. So its 4 years newer, with 20,000 less miles, but that engine usually doesnt last as long does it?
So from a mechanical stand point, which would be a better vehicle to go with? I know its hard without you guys getting to drive them and look at them and stuff, but I was lookin to the more wise here for a lil help.
(My xj doesnt burn any oil up, but she tends to have a lil leak somewhere, i cant pin point it, about 3/4 quart between changes, but oil pressure is always above 40)
I am going to go drive that wrangler today, at 96000 miles and not knowing who owned it previously Im not sure how much longer the clutch will hold up, Im not even sure if I could tell if it wasnt holding and not strong and ready to go, but ill do my best.
Thank ya guys, its like deciding between two hot chicks....(i have to compare Jeeps to girls, because I can actually get a Jeep :Þ

Are you going to use these jeeps as daily drivers, or fourwheeling too? If it's just a daily driver then the 4cyl might be better with gas since it's not as strong. I don't know how the 4cyl hold up but I know if you treat the 6cyl 4.0 right and keep it maintained you can get over 200,000 miles on it and still drive good. The Cherokee has more power usually and in my oppinion is more practical(but you can read about that in the forum titled "Jeep Gov." in the general chat area. It all depends on what you will be using it for. I say you keep the cherokee, but others will say different. Good luck with the decision.

RE: yj hardtop

Thanks CherokeeGuy, I will be using it for wheeling and a daily drive for the next 9 months, thats when I grad college and then hopefully will get a good job and be able to afford a lil gas saver and a money pit Jeep. Either way i will be lifting and 33s will be the smallest tires i want to run. I know they will bog down the 4cyl a lil, so thats why I would like to find a TJ w/ a straight 6 to keep the power I have now. Maybe I could just have 2 jeeps?!?! =)

6 cyl bbd carb stalling when stopping

If you want to go with the 4banger TJ, I wouldn't worry about the engine life......as long as you take care of it (and it's been taken care of in the past!), it's a good, long lasting engine. But if you're going to run 33's, then you'll have to figure re-gearing into the equation (more $$$, there's a surprise!!!!). I love my little, pretty much stocker, 4banger TJ......the $$$ side of the equation just isn't there yet for further mods.

But even re-gearing, you still won't have the power you have with the 6. I believe it has something to do with the laws of physics.

Re: RE: Lady in need of help... rear window replacement know

I drive a '94 4-banger YJ, and I don't have any complaints at all on the engine. It's only got 81,000 on it now (had 54,000 on it when I bought it in January of '04), but doesn't use a drop of oil. I live in one of the flattest parts of Kansas, so for the most part, power to climb hills isn't an issue, but when I go back to eastern Kansas to my farm, there are plenty of big steep hills that have me grabbing 4th gear. Still, in 4th at 55mph, I'm only turning around 2700 RPM. I'm getting between 21 and 23 mpg on 31's now. Gas just hit $2.50 a gallon here, so that 22mpg is looking really good.

To me, miles dont matter so long as the motor doesnt burn oil and runs great. I would keep the Xj since you have had it long enough to know it's a dependable vehicle. The Tj may have less miles but may not be as well taken care of as your Xj. Plus you got a 6 in the Xj, that motor is gold.

Front end noise

2.5 4 banger here too, 5th gear is pretty much worthless unless you're on a flat straightaway or going downhill :lol: I've had it up in the sticks & snow a few times & it does okay

Back