Jeep Help! What do i need to do to make my jeep offroad read

jeepmaster

i know i need a lift, bigger tires, etc. (im looking at about 2 inch suspension and 3 inch body, probably more and 35 by 12.5 in tires) but what kind of intake etc am i going to need to keep mud and water out of the engine when im bogging in it? i had a friend with an explorer do $2000 of damage to his car when i drove into a mud pit and another friend total out his engine in his landcruiser from a creek crossing. id rather this not happen to my jeep so i thought id ask you guys what im gonna need to do to it to keep it safe. maybe a snorkel or something?[addsig]

Dude, Your jeep was born offraod ready! That is what Jeep means. Now offroad does not mean off land, Not made to be a submarine or anything like that. The best way to keep out of trouble is to be smart about trouble to start with. Avoid deep water and deep mud. The trick is to get from point A to B with out haveing the trouble that many seek along the way. When you can go around! You can do alot of things to help you in the water and mud as you will learn here over the next few post. Snorkles on the intake Transmission and Transfer case are a good start. Silicon on all the electrial parts, water proof the ignition system and then still it is hard to be smarter than water. H2O can go places that you would never guess. Once there it can make your day go very bad. So even after all of these great guys on this board tell you from experence how to turn your jeep into a master piece of go anywhere, the best advice is go offroad and when you do be smart! Tug[addsig]

there are 2 types of offroaders: ones with big tires and little brains, and ones with little tires and big brains. you do'nt need a huge rig with all the gizmos to do well offroad. just be smart.

tug - couldn't have been said better[addsig]

I gotta agree with the last 2 posts..I run stock, and while I'm always amazed at what the out of the box Jeep can do, I realize the limits set forth by Mother Nature lol. I lost my first Jeep (92 YJ, 6 months old) to a bog in the Jersey pines. Now I'm older, and smarter (just a bit lol). Have fun with your Jeep. Try it as is, mabey you'll like it. Above all play smart, always pick your lines, and if you don't know how deep it is, it's to deep lol
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
[addsig]

ok thanks tug. im not trying to go full submarine here but id really like to be able to make it through the creeks around here(bout 2 to 3 feet) and after the land cruiser incident im a little afraid to even try it while its stock. and a correction of my original post, I didnt drive the explorer into the pit, he did. haha thanks and any more ideas or suggestions would be great. - master[addsig]

I hope I did not scare you off the trail here. Do this and go out to you Jeep and take a yard stick. place one end on the ground and drag it around your rig. Now you see how deep 3' is. Can be done just do with safty and like was said here by others pick your line go in easy and dont make waves. Just have fun and be safe. Also take someone with you always if you can. Best to you Tug
image-missing.png
[addsig]

ok thanks for the help, theres this great trail here but you've gotta be able to make it through about 2 feet of water, i think im gonna take a shot at it. dont worry im gonna bring an experienced jeep friend (big blessing) along so i wont mess anything up - master[addsig]

You have to make the mods that are designed for the trails that you're going to be driving mostly. I have a stock 95 YJ. All I have done to it, so far, is put the biggest tires that I can, on it. I also go as far as I'm SURE that I can make it. Just be safe, smart and wise. The most important thing that I can think of, is some sort of recovery equipment, like a winch. And just like diving off of cliffs and bridges, never go in without checking how deep it is.[addsig]

Yeah, what was said eariler! I have no way of knowing how old you are, but my experience has shown that the younger generation of wheelers ( I was once one) loves to attack water at break neck speeds ( some old farts do too!) yeah, it's kool to see the water totally engulph a vehicle when it's not your's! Be honest, everyone that's seen standing water at some point has crashed through it at least once!

Now, on a trail, that can get you into some big trouble, the hole can be huge and swallow up a vehicle. Water crossings in general, if the water level is above the headlights, and your still able to back out, BACK the hell out and find another crossing.

If it's the ONLY way through, enter slowly, and proceed with enough momentum to keep moving, your vehicle will make a "bowwake" which can keep alot of water out, but if you slow, or stop, the wake will return to get ya.

Snorkles will help keep water/gunk out of the motor, but the fan will get everything under the hood soaked! The faster you go, the faster the fan will spin!

Another hazard that most don't think about when "muddin it" is mud in the radiator.

What to do to prepare for it? well, as you mentioned a lift, (body & suspension) will help. The farther away the intake is from the water, the better for you. Nice tires,

extend the breather tubes for the transmission, T/C, front & rear axles into the engin compartment and the keep the ends as high as possible. I've seen tiny inline fuel filters used as tube ends to keep crap out of the breather tubes. Seal up any electrical connections you can. The distributor is notorious for causing problems when wet. I've seen posts where folk's have drilled a small hole into the top, inerted a 1/8" npt fitting and connected the fitting to a vacuum source to help evacuate moisture. Some dist caps may have a port built in.

What are some other tricks????????? Stinking...... nothing else comming to mind.

Good luck...

[addsig]

Back