Hate to bash, but....

RE: Re: RE: MY TJ HAS THE SHAKES HELP!!!

The transfer case was ripped out?! How the heck did that happen so easily?

RE: Gear Ratios

I'm not sure. That's pretty sad though. I'm guessing they didn't have a skidplate or something. Pretty sad though.

Cool toy for your kids, or yourself!!

i think the case actually broke in half, it wont play the video for me but ive seen it before. the aluminum cases have a bad rep for doing this when put under severe stress or when they get knocked around enough, which is likely the case here. he hi centered and hit the case good enough to split it

2003 Nissan 350Z Touring Coupe

I've got news for you.. your XJ would have the same problem if you did what this guy did. The factory skid plate only protects from low speed impacts, and is designed for you to scrape over a rock slowly.. He hit the top of that hill way too fast. your XJ skid plate would rip right off in that situation too. This is a case of inexperienced driver being stupid. I could tell by looking at it that the breakover angle was way too steep to even try before he hit it.

Keep in mind - the top of that hill looks like asphalt, not dirt. If he had taken it slowly like you should, he would have driven away with no damage.

Jeep Club

Don't doubt the strength of the factory skid plate. I slamed it down on the big cement stops at the end of a parking space. It was at the top of this little hill and I was trying to get the spot before someone else jumped in so I drove up the hill and after driving my front tires over the cement block the jeep slammed down on the skidplate hard enough to make my cd player skip for a second. I was suprised nothing messed up but when I looked under the jeep there was no problem. I've had a few other bumps but mostly on dirt. Can't go over much in a stock jeep, but I still try. If it looks like I will bottom out I try not to go fast but that cement thing was an accident.

You see, I was waiting at this red light and all the sudden the case just shattered for no reason... :lol:

CherokeeGuy42 said:
Don't doubt the strength of the factory skid plate. I slamed it down on the big cement stops at the end of a parking space. It was at the top of this little hill and I was trying to get the spot before someone else jumped in so I drove up the hill and after driving my front tires over the cement block the jeep slammed down on the skidplate hard enough to make my cd player skip for a second. I was suprised nothing messed up but when I looked under the jeep there was no problem. I've had a few other bumps but mostly on dirt. Can't go over much in a stock jeep, but I still try. If it looks like I will bottom out I try not to go fast but that cement thing was an accident.

big difference.. you slammed DOWN on the cement at low speed... you did not plow headlong into it at 20MPH. If you watch the video, the breakover angle is somewhere near 60 degrees - way more than the 20 or so that the jeep can handle. I have slammed my skid plate into countless rocks also and it is still intact. I have a friend with an XJ that tore his off on a rock at paragon going less than 2MPH and creeping over the rock. the skid plate is designed for downward force by the jeep, not front to back.

RE: Re: RE: found at 3am: Couch on fire in middle of street

That was weak. He should have been going faster (Duke Boys style) and he never would have hit the ground. mmmmm.....Atlas II.

RE: Re: RE: Cool toy for your kids, or yourself!!

So what exactly is trail rated? A sticker the jeep gets if it makes it down a dirt road?

RE: WIN A JEEP!

redrooster said:
That was weak. He should have been going faster (Duke Boys style) and he never would have hit the ground. mmmmm.....Atlas II.

I agree. I think with a little more speed he'd have cleared it easily. However, I'll bet the IFS wouldn't have held up that well either, but it would've been a hoot to watch! :lol:

Back