Brake line flaring

Snitty

I'm replacing all of the brakelines on the jeep. It's not something I've done so much of. I'm wondering if I HAVE TO use a double flare. I don't really want to pay for a double flare tool if this is the only time I'm going to use it. I could rent the one from autozone, but its all damaged up from people misusing it.

A single flare is SO much easier to perform, and the cost can be justifiable for a one time use.

What say you guys?

Update.

I just got back from the zone after an hour of practice. Pshhh.. I got the double flare down nice. They even have a brand new flaring tool that holds the line well rather than the old beat up ones. I also found out that with my new SS lines, I need a bubble flare. That is something I can't do with a simple single flare.

No longer an issue, I'm all set

Radiator Stop Leak

You can also use the compression fittings, no flaring required. Just cut the line, and make sure the ends are clean and smooth. The 'zone carries 'em.

commander commercial

yeah i've always used them. I'm trying hard to get this jeep inspected. The brake lines are the main concern. Compression fittings are not DOT approved and won't pass. Plus I've had a couple compression fittings blow out in my day. Of course they were not 3/16".. they were larger, and when they increase fitting size, they don't increase wall size.

Back