Community Volunteering

LadyJeepFreak

I thought I'd start this thread to get people talking about volunteering in thier communities. This can be past, present, or future plans. Present works real well.

Volunteering has always been one of the many cornerstones of our traditional american values and in today's world there is more than enough need for volunteers.

Since many JEEP families seem to be the strong american value types, I thought this would fit in well and I hadn't seen much of this type of post before.

What do you do, or are you planning to do to help others? It can be anything at all. Let's talk about it.
--------------------------------------------------------------

Myself, I've served in soup kitchens once or twice but I really need to find the time to do it more. I like doing that kind of thing but should try harder to step outside my schedule to volunteer there again.

Everyone donates goods and I've surely done my share there, of course.

I particpated in Junior Achievement a couple of years but the kids drove me loco, that certainly wasn't my volunteer spot favorite.

Right now, I'm looking into this service that the American Red Cross offers for military personell and thier families. It's like an emergency services type thing and apparantly the red cross helps military men and women communicate to thier families back home and vice versa, in emergency situations so the military can plan or communicate leave times, etc. Sounds interesting to me and it only requires a short training session and a phone to go with my free time. I hope it works out.

So, tell me about you and your local community.
Lady

I spent 10 years as a volunteer paramedic, no pay. I've volunteered my services as a severe storm spotter for the National Weather Service for over 20 years, as well as keeping track of current weather conditions such as wind speed, rainfall, snowfall, etc. I coached little league baseball for two years (never again!) because there wasn't anyone else to do it. I've worked with the church youth group as a youth leader and youth pastor. I've taught over 10,000 people CPR, all volunteer work. Sunshine and I are giving a week of our time to go down to the Gulf for Hurricane Relief starting on the 22nd of October. I know there is a lot more, but I'm too sleepy now to think of them.

Sparky and Harry, Awesome dedication to your communities! JMiz, I will check your links out tomorrow!

No one else helping out thier communities? I don't mean by paying taxes and being law abiding either. lol

Lady

RE: Holy Mud-Buggy Batman

i ride the T to class instead of driving. therefore i help the air in boston stay cleaner.

every year i get together with about 100 other 4x4 enthusiasts and clean up the pine barrens in south NJ (well a section of it anyway). last year i hauled out over 1000lb of junk. we're doing it again in 2 weeks.

graewulf said:
every year i get together with about 100 other 4x4 enthusiasts and clean up the pine barrens in south NJ (well a section of it anyway). last year i hauled out over 1000lb of junk. we're doing it again in 2 weeks.

Good for you and your gang, Graewulf!! That's wonderful!! The Geocaching community often does this sort of thing, too. A couple of years back, one group hauled nearly 10,000 lbs of junk out of a National Park. It was their way of saying "thanks" to the park system for allowing them the use of the park for geocaching. This type of thing goes on nearly every day in some part of the world through the geocaching community. They refer to it as "CITO", or Cache In, Trash Out".

I don't do much "organized" work outside of my church duties, which include treasurer and webmaster, but I am the go-to neighborhood flunky for all of the widow women. Mowing lawns, fixing plumbing emergencies at 7am on Sunday!, and picking them up off of the floor when they have a fall now and then.

Boy, when I moved into this neighborhood about 8 years ago, the guy I bought the house from introduced me to some of the elderly widows and I found out quickly that he had been doing all of this for them so when he moved out they tagged me. What can I say, ...it keeps me busy.

RE: Leaky tires driving me nuts

LadyJeepFreak said:
That is admirable Grae!! That is alot of stuff to haul out too! Goodness.

Lady

You arent that far from us.. join us next sunday (the 29th)... We filled 3 of the large rollback dumpsters last year, not counting the boat, 2 oil tanks (like 500 gallon), and other stuff that was literally dragged out.

Back