Tow strap suggestions?

PhattyX

I'm getting a tow strap and not sure what I should be looking for. I know not to get one with hooks, but that's about it. Any suggestions on what size / capacity? I've found a 2" X 20' for ~$35.00. That seems steep, but you get what you pay for. I've seen 10000lbs and 20000lbs. Is 10 OK or should I get the 20? ...or the 30?

I've got an '84 CJ7 with tow hooks mounted to the frame with two bolts each.

Thanks,

-X

I prefer the 30 foot straps just because it makes for more room for the person doing the pulling to find a good place to pull from with less of a risk of getting themselves stuck. I have a 30 foot x 3" wide Explorer ProComp strap (rated at 30,000 pounds) that I only take with me on off road trips. I also have a cheap 30 foot x 2" wide no name brand (rated at 20,000 pounds) that I keep in my jeep at all times....it's cheap so I don't care if it gets stolen.

Check out Tractor Supply Co if you have one near you. They have a nice selection and the prices aren't bad.

Another suggestion is check out your local lift accessory company. Many have hunter specials that are 20 or thirty foot lift straps rated to 12 tons and the eyelets are leather wrapped to prevent fraying at the harshest bend point.

I carry two thirty foot straps rated to 12 tons in a web or cradle configuration so I can hook one to a tree and the other with my hi-lift.

my only advice is to avoid the ones with metal hooks on the end

#1... avoid tow straps... you want a snatch strap - these store the energy and give you a better pull if you get really stuck and result in less of a shock to the vehicles.
#2 I would not buy anything smaller than 20k - I've broken 10k straps on a moderate stuck
#3 - 30 foot is a good length for most applications
#4 - avoid metal at all costs - if something comes loose that metal hook, etc becomes a missile and will go completely through whatever it hits, including you.

I recommend carrying 2 straps, 1 20k for light stucks and 1 40k for the really stucks - then you can hook them together if you need a longer strap.

PhattyX said:
..... I've found a 2" X 20' for ~$35.00. That seems steep, but you get what you pay for. ...

-X

Invest in good equipment. Don't go for cheap. As I found out in the San Juans this fall..your life could depend on a good tow strap!

This IMO is not an area to be shopping Harbor Frieght.

4Wheel Parts has their pro comp straps priced very reasonable.

Just my 2 cents.

My vote is for a rusty logging chain and some bungee cords.
You can spend as much as you want on a strap. My suggestion is to get one with the length, rating and ends that you like. I personally go with the 10,000 lb El Cheapo Wal Mart strap because I have found that they work just fine for me. As long as you don't wrap them around sharp bumpers and rocks then you are good to go. For worse situations I just hook up the winch. Get a bigger one though, if that is what you want.

redrooster said:
My vote is for a rusty logging chain and some bungee cords.
You can spend as much as you want on a strap. My suggestion is to get one with the length, rating and ends that you like. I personally go with the 10,000 lb El Cheapo Wal Mart strap because I have found that they work just fine for me. As long as you don't wrap them around sharp bumpers and rocks then you are good to go. For worse situations I just hook up the winch. Get a bigger one though, if that is what you want.

I take it you have never put one through the back of your Jeep then.. I had a 10,000 lb strap (walmart special) come apart at the stitching. Luckily the hook stayed attached to the vehicle being pulled.. caved in the rear hatch on the XJ that was doing the pulling. If it had gone a little higher, it would have gone through the rear window on the XJ. If the hook had still been attached, I doubt that the rear hatch would have stopped it.

Tow straps are designed for just that... towing.. which means all 4 on solid ground, in neutral... not in mud, stuck, etc. Buy a good, heavy duty snatch strap or don't expect me to be anywhere near it when you make your darwin award attempt.

Back