Michael Irvin...arrested...again

mingez

:roll: Once a Cowboy, always a Cowboy.
As reported by the Associated Press. ...

PLANO, Texas (AP) -- Former Dallas Cowboys receiver Michael Irvin was charged with misdemeanor possession of drug paraphernalia after police searched his vehicle during a traffic stop, Plano police said Sunday.

Irvin, a semifinalist for the Pro Football Hall of Fame, was arrested on an outstanding warrant for speeding in Irving after being pulled over Friday afternoon for speeding in Plano, the Plano Police Department said. Police spokesman Mike Johnson said he didn't know what kind of paraphernalia was found.

Irvin paid a fine on the speeding ticket and posted bond on the drug paraphernalia possession charge. He was released about an hour after he was pulled over.

Irvin, a member of three Super Bowl championship teams with the Cowboys, retired in July 2000 and works as a studio analyst for ESPN.
--

If nothing else, it might explain his stance on Terrell Owens.
image-missing.png

My hero!

Irvin is quickly becoming the "Darell Strawberry" of the NFL:redface: :redface:

Another reason why I quit caring about stick and ball sports 5 years ago.;)

90Xjay said:
My hero!

Irvin is quickly becoming the "Darell Strawberry" of the NFL:redface: :redface:

Another reason why I quit caring about stick and ball sports 5 years ago.;)

So your a track and field or swimming fan now :confused: :lol:

judge09 said:
So your a track and field or swimming fan now :confused: :lol:

Ahhhh.....grasshoppa....you assume that one must be a "fan" of one sport or the other in order to be happy in life. Not true.:D

Watching millionaire crack heads run up and down ball courts and football fields have somehow lost its appeal to me. It has become the "opiate of the masses"

I won't be caught dropping $50 on a jersey so I can look more like a sports star that dosen't know or care about me or my family.

My time and money can be better spent.

right on to that ...the sports world in whole has got to greedy even though there was a comment made on sports radio that said irving should be fired like rush did for his comment rush (who I do not care for) got fired for doing his job.(making stuiped observations and comments) irving is accused of breaking the law...which is nothing really new. I guess its up to espn to wether they want someone in that kind of light making comments for them.....either way go cowboys even if I wont buy a jersey I will still watch on sunday.

90Xjay said:
Ahhhh.....grasshoppa....you assume that one must be a "fan" of one sport or the other in order to be happy in life. Not true.:D

Watching millionaire crack heads run up and down ball courts and football fields have somehow lost its appeal to me. It has become the "opiate of the masses"

I won't be caught dropping $50 on a jersey so I can look more like a sports star that dosen't know or care about me or my family.

My time and money can be better spent.

hahaha...No, i don't think he was implying that. You said you lost intrest in "Stick and Ball sports" implying that you are a fan of NON "STick and ball" sports." So...he was making a funny.

Besides, I know you are a huge Curling fan.
image-missing.png

antsinmypants said:
naw... i'm guessing more of a gymnastics fan -> girls in spandex going *bouncy bouncy bouncy*

Not the super-skinny malnurished looking ones though.
;) ;) ;)

Besides, I know you are a huge Curling fan.
image-missing.png
[/QUOTE]

Darn it...Mingez...you busted ole 90 again.;)

Hey Mingez, in your opinion, should ESPN fire Irvin as a commentator?

They fired your hero, Rush Limbaugh, (JK) over making "inappropriate" comments, like it or not, Limbaugh did not break the law, but still got fired from ESPN.

Just thought I would thow that around the thought pool.

90Xjay said:

They fired your hero, Rush Limbaugh, (JK) over making "inappropriate" comments, like it or not, Limbaugh did not break the law, but still got fired from ESPN.

I hate Michael Irvin...as I do all Cowboys. I think eveyone at ESPN should be shot for even hiring him. He is/was/always will be, THE ENEMY!

90Xjay said:

Obviously I'm biased toward chopping his (Irvin's) head off... I don't think what he did (Off air) and what Rush said (On Air) are comparable. And incedentally, one doens't need[SIZE=-1] to break the law to lose their job. [/SIZE]

Racially insensitive comments are more detrimental to ratings than the self mutilation one inflicts upon himself. Whether the comments were THAT bad is debatable, but It's all about the public's perception. (and in TV, that is gospel) Simply as a PR move...they HAD to let Rush go considering the large African American veiwership. And he may not have broken the law...but ESPN probably had him under contract and had an "At will" clause of some kind.

If anyone of us on JEEPZ were to speak to an African American Client/customer in the same way, we'd be canned too. [SIZE=-1]Imagine if a waiter loudly referred to a table of African Americans as "Bad Black Tippers."[/SIZE] Would the manager of the store not be justified in firing said waiter?
So, I don't think Rush's firing was unwarranted. I'd be gone for doing the same thing...because it's detrimental to business.
One of the Ten Commandments of business: "Thou shalt not offend thy customers, tis bad for business." Something about not biting the hand that feeds you and all.

And let's not forget, Rush did have a stint with drugs...Pain Killers and using them inappropriately. That's just "White Collar" crack. What were the consequences to his job when he was exposed for that recreational drug use? He even went to rehab, as I recall. So, perhaps a similar judgement to that is in line. (and here he DID break the law)

As for what I think...becuase TV's success is based on ratings...ESPN will/should probably wait out the results of what people and veiwers are saying and thinking to base their judgement. If I owned ESPN, he'd be gone. (irvin) But only because it's getting in the way of his job, and the network's productivity.

As for what Rush said: Historical precedent has been set...just ask Howard Cosell and [SIZE=-1]Alvin Garrett. (Not that what Rush said was anywhere NEAR as horrible as what Cosell said...but different time - different standards) And it's better to be overly cautious and percieved as overly sensitive about such comments then the alternative.

Just my opinion.
[/SIZE]

Last edited:

Not that what Rush said was anywhere NEAR as horrible as what Cosell said..

Yeah, please don't forget that Rush's comment wasn't nearly a put down of McNab as it was for the media for in his view giving McNab a pass because of his race. Insenitive..maybe...bone head...yes... but a racial insult like Cosell or the Greek..no way..

your fellow Irvin anti-fan

90Xjay said:
Not that what Rush said was anywhere NEAR as horrible as what Cosell said..

Yeah, please don't forget that Rush's comment wasn't nearly a put down of McNab as it was for the media for in his view giving McNab a pass because of his race. Insenitive..maybe...bone head...yes... but a racial insult like Cosell or the Greek..no way..

your fellow Irvin anti-fan

Correct...not even close to being as bad as what Cosell said.

Of course, back then, you couldn't get away with what Rush said because there just weren't any superstar black QB's.

I doubt anyone would have made a single peep if Irvin was being critical of a "White Wide Reciever."

But now there are Black QB's, Asian Centers in Basketball, and Hispanic Forwards in Hockey. Who'd a thunk it?

But it was still the right move to fire Rush...and it'll be the correct move to fire Irvin.

Back