need suggestion: lights for the roof rack (94 XJ)

dingus

ok, i want to pick up a set of off road lights for this bad boy, i was thinkin 6" round jobbers would do the trick, but i don't wanna buy a cheap set and end up spending more money in the long run buying what i should have picked up to begin with, ya know what i mean?

i want a set of lights that'll light up MORE than my high beams.

Hopefully i can get something nice up there for 100 bucks or so? i have no idea what brand i should be looking at, or what style lights i need.

image-missing.png

image-missing.png

-Nate

I've got a set of El Cheapo's that take the H3 bulbs, and swapped the 55 watt bulbs for 100 watt bulbs. They light things up into next week now. I'd follow the recommendations of a few others here on Jeepz and stick with relatively inexpensive housings that have bulbs you can swap. At $35 a pair, you can replace 3 pair of trail damaged lights for the price of one $100 pair, and the light output will be the same if you get the right replacement bulbs for them.

I agree with Sparky. I bought a set of 100 watt lights at Wally World. Mounted them on the front bumper. They are spectacular. The first trail we rode was Jenny creek (Boulder county). Amazing lights! See the holiday card I put up. The lights are the round ones with the black covers.

Even with the wiring harness, total cost was less than $45.

thanks guys, didn't want to spend money unnecessarily either, picked up a set of 6" round 100 watt jobbers from jcwhitney for 45 shipped to my door.

i'll post pics when i get them installed.

-nate

dingus said:
thanks guys, didn't want to spend money unnecessarily either, picked up a set of 6" round 100 watt jobbers from jcwhitney for 45 shipped to my door.

i'll post pics when i get them installed.

-nate

I know what you mean Nate. I spent some bucks on my Hellas that I used to replace the factory fog lights and when I wanted some lights up top of the safari rack....as bad as I hate to admit it.....I found these 55 Watt KC Daylighter, stainless steel, knock-offs at our Harbor Freight store for $12 on sale, each. They are surprisingly decent quality.

(this article also submitted as a "how-to" here on the board.)

image-missing.png

image-missing.png

image-missing.png

image-missing.png

image-missing.png

Wired these bad boys up yesterday out in the freezing cold. Just clamped down on the THULE load bar with metal brackets from the hardware store. Wired them through the gasket around the drivers door, coming in down by the hood release and coming out up by the roof rack. Mounted the switch on the dash. Power source is the ACC on the fuse box under the dash.

As far as aligning them, i just aimed them above the high beams, they're super bright (100w/each).

Back