Anyone tried Home Depot's Ecco chainsaws?

Craig

Hey. I got a bunch of gift certificates from work for Home Depot. I want to buy a chainsaw and was wondering if anyone has any reviews or opinions on the Ecco brand chainsaws they sell. I hear their Home Life chainsaws are pieces of junk. I was planning on buying a Stihl chainsaw but since I've got these gift certificates I can get it basically for free. Or should I save the gift certificates for something else and just go out and buy a Stihl?

I would hold out for the Stihl.

I cut about 5 chords of wood each year and I would not take any other saw when I go out.

I have had a Poulan, and it wasn't bad the first couple of years, then it got to not starting after it got hot. If there is one thing that gets my hackles up is a piece of chit saw, or weedeater, or leafblower, or lawnmower that won't start.:bomb: :bomb: :bomb: :bomb: :bomb: :bomb:

I would be 20 miles out in the woods and it would just vapor lock or someting.
Huskvarna used to be a good name, but I'm not so sure that the saw at the Big Box Mart is the same saw you buy from a Husky dealer??

My Stihl starts quick and starts quick after re-fueling when hot.
I have had it for 4 years and only have changed the air-filter and keep the chain sharp. Stihl also has an upgrade on the bar that you can adjust the chain tension by hand without tools..pretty neat.

What 90XJ says 100%!!!!!!!!!

Get the Stihl!! I've got a Poulan and it's been good, but I think it's on it's last legs. Next one (and the last for a while, hopefully) will be a Stihl or a Husky. Had a cheapie weedeater that lasted a year....went and spent the money and bought a husky and that thing RULES!!!!! Spend the money.......you won't regret it.

Go Stihl or Husqvarna
Go for the Stihl if you prefer more torque to horsepower
Go for the Husky is you prefer more horsepower to torque

If you go Husqvarna go with an XP series, they are professional quality.

The Stihl model I'm looking at is the MS290 .... http://www.stihlusa.com/chainsaws/MS290.html . They want $479 Canadian (whatever that works out to in US$?). They still have some left from some promotion which comes with a case, extra chain and a mug. It's funny that their website recommends a 16" bar for this model but the ones they have in the store all come with a 20" bar.

Last edited:
For a 55 cc stihl I would recommend an 18 inch bar with a semi chisel chain. The 20 inch looks impressive but you'll bog down more often, especially for horizontal cuts if you are felling trees.

you'll find that the semi chisel isn't super agressive, but you can taylor it to your exact needs by filing down the rakers until the "bite" feels right

Definitely go with the Stihl. I inherited my dad's two chainsaws, a 15 y/o Stihl and a 2 y/o Crapsman from Sears. The Stihl still fires on the first pull 99.9% of the time, the Crapsman takes a dozen or so, but won't start again once it's warmed up till you let it cool off. He exchanged that one 3 different times for new ones because of that, but they all did the same thing.

Craig said:
I was planning on buying a Stihl chainsaw but since I've got these gift certificates I can get it basically for free. Or should I save the gift certificates for something else and just go out and buy a Stihl?
Get a Stihl or a Husqvarna. They are what the pro's use, are very well built, and last a long time if you treat 'em right. Save the GC's for something else if they don't carry Stihl or Husqvarna. You don't want a cheapie chansaw.

I use Stihl at work and a Husky at home. They're both workers.

Finally ordered my chainsaw today. I decided to go with the Stihl MS 260 Arctic. Here in Canada we have a few different models than the US. The MS 260 Arctic is the same as the MS 260 Pro in the States only it has a heated handle and electrically heated carb. Can't wait to try it out. http://www.stihl.ca/products_chainSaws_arctic.asp

Last edited:
Go for the Stihl, I have the MS 290 Great Saw cut around 10 -12 bush cords every season, no problems what so ever. Have a Poulan, should be called Pull-an Pull-an till your arm drops off, once its going it's a great limbing saw till I run out of gas. Had a Home-lite till I shot it, got so frustrated with it I got the .303 and gave it some attitude adjustment..... thats when I got my second MS 290.... hold out and get a Stihl it's worth every dollar.

I never hear any bad comments on the Stihl saws. I occasionsally use some older Husky saws at my hunting club. The owner grows timber and has several Huskies that are at least 20 years old ( and look 100). They start every time. They have aluminum casings rather than the newer plasting casings you see at Home Depot. They don't look near as tough.
I ran a Stihl Farm Boss a few weeks ago and was impressed. The saw was brand new though.

Back