jeep stolen!

LGR

So my jeep was stolen a few days ago from the front of my house. It sucks and all..but hopefully insurance will cover the bulk of it. Anywho, Its time to get a new one and i'm thinking XJ. Pretty much need to know what to look for and such. my main questions are what t-case they got and what axles do they have? gearing would be good too. any info would be great.

Don't have any info on the XJ but I thought I'd share with you what you might have to look forward to. Check out page 4 of my cardomain site in the link below for some pictures.

You can get them with the Chrysler 8.25 rear axle or a D44 on some older ones. These are both decent axles. The 8.25 currently can only be geared as low as 4.56 if that matters. I'd stay away from a D35 since the others are available.

I like the 4 sp Auto in mine (AW4). There's a guy on NAXJA selling a manual shift kit for it pretty cheap, which also allows you to lock up the torque converter offroad 8)

THe newer XJ's (97-01) are supposed to be more prone to driveline vibes, but I have no problem with mine on 4" lift and a TC drop. They stopped using the high pinion D30 front axle in 97 to make more room for the larger exhaust header. I'll take the low pinion in place of the notorious crack-prone old header.

You'll probably get advised by some to get a 96 or earlier because of vibe issues (which is often actually the front DS), but 97 and newer have better axle U joints, a better header, a little more power, a nicer interior, and will most likely have the larger 29 spline 8.25 rear (the pre-97 8.25 axles had smaller 27 spline shafts). The newer XJ's have their advantages and driveline vibes are easily correctable with TC drops, adjustable control arms (with come with any good lift kit).

Mine has the open carrier with 3.55 gears. Most will have that but some have the limited slip rear, which would be nice if you luck into one.

SOme came with a full-time Xfer case, don't know alot about them but they're out there. Mine's part time just like your old Jeep and I like it that way.

Can't think of much else off the top of my head but I will help answer anything I can. www.NAXJA.com has a great XJ tech forum, but search before you ask as they are not as tolerant to newbies as we are here on Jeepz ;)

So... you gonna build it up too??? :twisted:

Last edited:

lots of good info from TC. it would help to know what you plan on doing with it too, and about how much you expect to be able to spend on it. i feel making a decision on axles and years and everything depends on what tires you wanna run, how much street vs trail driving you'll be doing and so forth.

I plan on it taking the place of my TJ. Prolly looking to get it on 31s or maybe 33s. I don't mind cuttin away from body and have no problem installing an SYE for the vibes. I'm still not 100% the money factor..gotta see what the insurance company is giving me, i'm hoping they cover some of the extras i put on my TJ. Offroad use will be average..street use really weekends only got a work van. I'd really like the newest XJ I can find. I seen they're not too much money..compairing that to a TJ.

considering what you're looking for, i think you're looking in the right area. it sounds like for you, the newer the better. if you're serious about axles, you'd be going bigger than a lp/hp30 and 8.25/d44 anyways.

Back