would you quit?

antsinmypants

first of all i just want to say i HATE my job

So this past year at work has been super busy, ever since septembver or october when we got a new service delivery manager (he watches service level, eg. how long customers wait for an agent and that we are here on time and that crap) he's gone and taken away our 2 15 minutes breaks, then he gave them back and shortened them to 10 minute breaks, and everyonce in a while if its not so busy we will get the 15 minutes again but its super rare now. okies so theres number 1

next i've been busting my butt off to get a good shift this shift bid since the better your quality scores but closser you are to the top of the shift bid. i'm number 4 out of 70 people. top 10% get to pick any shift they want before the bid comes out. i'm set up for 6-2:30 monday to firday. i'm sick of the 10 hour shifts i have now, i'm going insane. so first they said it would take effect on the 5th (tomorrow) it was a verbal agreement that had been planned for the past 3 months.. so they end up not being organized and changed the date of the shift bidand it was e-mail out to us that it would take effect on the 12th. a week later they change it to the 19th (by then i have plans for that weeekend) and so another week of this shioft thats driving me insane..

now for the next 2 weeks everyone has an hour of mandatory OT at the end of every shift.. i'm schedualed to be here 6 am to 6 pm monday teusday wednesday and saturday for the next 2 weeks untill the new class hits the floor. thats $%(&ing bull. i can't stand the 10 hour shifts anylonger what makes them think i want to do 11.

Last anytime a request a day off i get it denied, i do understand i've only tried to book of saturday, its all i've needed off and because its a weekend no one ever wants to swap. i'm sorry i havnt taken vacation in 2 years 4 months and 13 days, and they wont let me book just 1 day off? its not like a request often. i havnt requested a day off since some time early last year. now twice this month they denied me. (oh and to make it worse they are holding 1170.41 worth of my vacation pay and still wont let me have any time off.)

I'm talking to my team superviosr when they get in today. if they dont take me off overtime, i'm seriously considering walking out. you think i'm on crack for wanting to just walk out of here? what would you do?

thanx for the vent

If they pay well i'd stick with it, and try to work on them hours.
I mean, is this job going to lead to bigger and better things? or ya pretty much stayin where ya at?

If you can find another job easy for the same pay..tell 'em to eat it

Personally, I think there are more important things in life than work and money.

I think if you have to be a slave to your job then you might as well own your own business, at least then you'll run the show and pocket the largest share.

That and life is way too short to spend so much of your time doing something that you hate.

Ants, what kind of skills do you have? What's the unemployment rate where you live? How often does this company promote from within, and do you want the job they might promote you to? What made you take this job in the first place? What kind of bills do you have and how long can you live on your savings (if any). Are you self supporting or do you live with parents, roommates, or someone who can afford to float you along financially until you find something else? Are you willing to relocate to get out of this situation? These are the questions you might ask yourself and then decide to quit or not- I would definately start looking at other options.

Whatever it takes to keep the Jeep!! :driving-g

Sounds like a very disorganized company.

If your situation is stable (ala the questions Mudwoman stated) then I'd take a chance and be candid with your boss. He/she could either react poorly, and reprimand you, (which would be unprofessional) or respect your honesty, and try and work with you.

Chances are, management isn't even aware of your vacation situation, and how you rarely ask for time off, and how you don't like your current shift status. If you bring it to their attention, then they can start working toward making things up to you. If they don't, then you shouldn't be working for a company with management like that because they don't care about their people.

thing is, with mandatory OT, its not like you're getting denied your vaca just because you're you. you're getting denied because they can't afford to let people take time off. now, is that right? maybe not, but its not just against you. it doesnt reflect your good service.

as far as quitting, it all depends on what else is out there. and like someone else said, if this is a dead end job you planned on only doing for a few years, consider quitting, if its a job that you thought you could advance in and possibly make it into a career, you'd be throwing away a lot, cause it sounds like you've always been the model employee.

I'd suggest that you don't simply walk, but instead give them 2 weeks notice. Chances are you'll need the reference - if you walk I'd bet they don't give you a good one.

It doesn't sound like a great job, so I would definetly start looking for a better one. I like my job, and couldn't imagine simply "doing time" somewhere I hate.

Well i'm finacially stable myself... if i quit i can afford to live with the essentials, pay monthly payment on the jeep $304, save so much for my next years insurance on my jeep $325, my cheap rent $200, and i'll beable to live off that including free meals from my dear bf at his place and my parents. and i'll still be making an income of $280 a month from looking after julia that i'm not counting into what i have to live off of. i make 10.86 an hour (minimum is 8) and its not a company i would want to move up in. besides as soon as i move up i'll only make 50 cents more and i'll get a horrible shift.

TerryMason said:
I'd suggest that you don't simply walk, but instead give them 2 weeks notice. Chances are you'll need the reference - if you walk I'd bet they don't give you a good one.

They dont take 2 weeks notice here. becasue its a call centre and they arnt going to hire one person and train them to replace me they let you go on the spot pretty much. they would rather you leave becasue most people will punt calls, hang up on calls and just create unhappy customers. so 2 weeks isnt nessicary. i was going to quit in october for the same reasons and asked my ts about the 2 weeeks notice and he said it really wasnt nessisary, they wouldnt do anything till the day of anyways.

I've thought it over a lot today and i've made up my mind. i'm going in on monday, working like everythings great untill my manager gets in, at that time i'll place myself into a meeting to talk to him and explain that ddue to the stress this job is putting me under i can barly handle the 10 hours shifts as it is, that if i am going to be forced over time then i'm also going to be forced to quit at that time. so by noon on monday i'll know whats going on. signed out early today, going out drinking tonight.

Well if you are pretty sure you going to quit on Monday, why not have a little fun doing it. And I am being serious here.

Why not go in to work wearing a chicken suit? or Gorilla suit? or whatever else comes to mind. Just to see what happens. Maybe wear some adult diapers over your pants?

Once you made you mind up to quit, you have great liberty to do things that would just make you soon to be x-boss go bonkers..:purple: :purple:

it could be a real memory maker....

In my experience Tennessee whiskey is the premier drink of the Saturday night before the "quitting your job Monday."

Well, Kim, it sounds like you've got things planned out, as far as living expenses and such, so I wish you the best. However, I can also say that things look different from the younger person's perspective when it comes to jobs. I'm not saying you're immature, or not making the right decision, I'm just speaking of my own personal experiences. When I was your age, I quit a job that paid $13.50 an hour and had excellent benefits (this was in 1988). Had I stayed there, I would have retired 4 years ago with a full pension and a wonderful retirement nest egg at the age of 37. The job was stressful, and hard work, and there was some room for advancement, but I was young and stupid and thought it was the worst job in the world. I'd take it back now if I had the chance. Looking back, it really was a very good job.

Whatever your decision, I do wish you the best. You sound like you've got a good head on your shoulders, and I would bet you have a very good chance of getting a better job with better pay that you'll be happier in.

I wasn't gonna post anything, but this turned up and piqued my interest...

I give you this advice, it's always been one of my major life rules, and has helped me out time and time again.

Don't quit the job you have till you find another one.

I don't know how the job market is in your area, and it sure sounds like you have your finances planned out well, but from experience, you don't want to be eating up your savings to nothingness during the job hunt.

I broke that rule, and am now in pretty bad shape, mentally, physically, and financially, so I give you this advice so the same thing doesn't happen to you. Of course, it's merely advice, and if Chilliwack is rife with instant jobs, then more power and congrats to you ;) Whatever the case, you seem the type to go out with a bit of a bang, I look forward to hearing what happens.

well it doesnt sound like you are going in specifically to quit as much as you are with quitting as a viable option, and not an idle threat, so i might hold off on the chicken suit. if you're a good worker there, and you have the sitdown with your boss, and tell him how you feel, and that you're quitting, or he can fix it "this" way, then he might consider seeing it your way. if not, whatever.

Natty said:
In the mean time, watch Office Space while enjoying a fine beverage.

One of my all time favorites!!

"We've noticed you been missing a lot of work lately."

"Well, I can't say I've been missing it, if you know what I mean."

:purple:

milton_looks-3.jpg

"I believe you have my stapler. I haven't been paid for a long time and my stapler is missing, it's red, and it's my stapler....."

Here's the kicker...

So i came into work this morning (as it was in my plan) Talking to my cube mates explaining my plan. "Woman cube mate" says that she spoke to her lawyer over the weekend, and that no where in our contract with stream does it say they can force overtime. now for some reson i think your allowed to force some ot. but apperently as to what "Man cube mate" says he looked into it and its ok to force an hour on an 8 hour shift but illegal to on a 10 hour shift. The thing is no one here has the balls to make a stand.

Sparky: its not a job i'll regret leaving, its a dead end job and if management runs the business like it does then its not a company i would be happy working for. besides the only person who makes a good salary the person who runs the whole place. There are lifers here. i dont wanna be a lifer, who lives pay check to pay check.

i'll update you guys later

Back