A/T Tires

mingez

what is the most aggressive set of A/T's you can think of?

I am sick of almost being pulled off of the road by my Mt's due to big city streets, and tread patterns in the pavement. So...to make the 'ol TJ a little less squirrelly in the City, I'm looking into some A/T's (as painful as that will be).

Thing is, my poser side doesn't want to loose the aggressive tread pattern look. And I recall seeing some surprisingly agressive looking AT's in the past on this site.

Any ideas?

i believe the BFG's are your best bet to retain that 'agressive' look.

Go with the Bfg's. Great look and still have really good off-road performance. Not loud at all on the road.

HouTex

Yet another plug for the Bridgestone Dueler Revo's. Really different tread pattern, they're great in rain and snow (on road) and they do O.K. offroad. Check 'em out on Tirerack.com. I loved the set I ran and mudwoman's still runnin' 'em - and she made it up the drive this weekend while my mudders were slippin' and slidin' all over the place (they don't like snow)

I just went through this and I bought Cooper ST's. Love 'em.

I've had BFG and they are nice tires, but the cooper has a bit wider seperation on the outer lugs. We got a foot of snow this weekend and they rock. A guy I work with has almost 40K on his and they have plenty of tread left.
http://www.coopertires.com/us/en/ProductDetails.asp?ProdType=LtTruck&id=190&title=Light+Truck+Tires

image-missing.png

The other tire I was considering was the Dunlop Radial Rover RT, although they make the size I wanted, sizes are limited:
http://www.dunloptires.com/dunlop/display_tire.jsp?prodline=Radial+Rover+RT&mrktarea=Light+Truck
image-missing.png

I prefer the BFG's. I just put a set of Yoko AT II's on the wifes truck, I haven't monkey'd around with them too much yet, but they stick to the road like glue and run good in sand.

well technically the wrangler MT/R is an overly agressive All terrain tire.. I know it says MT but that does not denote Mud Terrain.

also the Nitto terra grappler AT s a fairly aggressive tire

TwistedCopper said:
I just went through this and I bought Cooper ST's. Love 'em.

I've had BFG and they are nice tires, but the cooper has a bit wider seperation on the outer lugs. We got a foot of snow this weekend and they rock. A guy I work with has almost 40K on his and they have plenty of tread left.
http://www.coopertires.com/us/en/ProductDetails.asp?ProdType=LtTruck&id=190&title=Light+Truck+Tires

image-missing.png

The other tire I was considering was the Dunlop Radial Rover RT, although they make the size I wanted, sizes are limited:
http://www.dunloptires.com/dunlop/display_tire.jsp?prodline=Radial+Rover+RT&mrktarea=Light+Truck
image-missing.png

TC, why did you choose the coopers over the dunlops? And do you have a pic of your XJ with them on? I looked at your gallery, but it was hard to tell if they were the coopers or not.

BFG's, I know the sidewall in a BFG is pretty damn good. Mud4feet's Dueler Revo isn't bad. I have a set on my ZJ and they perform well in mud, snow, and highway. I like the dunlop pictured above and the goodyear mt/r as well. What would look better dirty? that is the question.

mingez said:
TC, why did you choose the coopers over the dunlops? And do you have a pic of your XJ with them on? I looked at your gallery, but it was hard to tell if they were the coopers or not.
I chose them because no one stocked the Dunlops, and I couldn't confirm they were made in the USA. One other reason is I don't know anyone who has had them and so I had to go on was Tire Rack reviews for feedback.

The Dunlops look to be slightly more aggressive, but I really like the Cooper ST's.

No, no pics yet, I have had them less than two weeks but I could snap one later if you want... yeah I'll do that.

These are 265x75x16 or a 32x10.50. I went a size bigger because I have a new suspension going on it. Yeah I know I've been saying that for a while, but with all the projects I have and have had going on it has had to take a back burner. I'll be going from 4 to 6" of lift... last pic shows my index finger between the outer lugs. You may not be able to tell from the pics but my fingers are pretty thick (My wedding band is a size 13)...
DSCF0280JPG-3.jpg

DSCF0283JPG-3.jpg

DSCF0282JPG-3.jpg

Last edited:
90growler said:
............Mud4feet's Dueler Revo isn't bad. I have a set on my ZJ and they perform well in mud, snow, and highway.........

Dang!! Good to finally hear from someone else who's actually run 'em!! I did bunches of research and bought them to replace the stock tires when I first got my Jeep. I was very happy with them - no complaints. And I love that wierd tread - had quite a few comments about them when I was runnin' em. Good "all around" tire - and great wear.

Those are AT's? Dang.

Thanks TC!!!!

----------
Edit: Wait, "St"? What does that stand for?

Do you have any experience with Interco's trxus sts tires? I haven't heard anything about them yet. I have seen them on 2 jeeps here in Maryland but never saw the drivers to ask about what they thought. They don't look like they would be loud. I have Goodyear MT/R's on mine now and have about 40K on them. Tread starting to wear funny and getting louder. I'm thinking about the Nitto terra grappler but was wondering about the trxus sts's. Mostly on road but do some surf fishing, and hunt in upper PA so I'd like something a littl aggressive. Not big on BFG though. I didn't like them in the rain. It seemed like they slid too much.
Ryan

Last edited:
A/t tires
i run bfg 31x10.50's on my 91 yj and there great in everything and there quiet. Not really aggressive looking but works for my needs. Good luck!!!

Mingez, nice to hear I am not the only one looking for tires let alone AT's. I killed my MT's last year and have stocks on. I feel so pitiful. Money is tight though. I am not sure what I am going to do yet. Interesting thread though. :waves to everyone:

Back