beadlocks

Because the government does not trust you you use them competently.

Some are...the ones made for the Humvee. I can't think of the Mfg right now, but a search would probably get you somehwere. I recall them being pricey.

BTW...Beadlocks are only illegal if you get caught!

Bead locks arent illegal nor are they legal. the problem is that the companies that make them dont usually take the time to get them DOT approved. The other problem is that the Do It Yourself weld on style ones have no way of getting DOT approved. There isn't a law on the books that says they aren't, and almost no officed would know the difference between them and the street locks. And if you were to get pulled over just point to the DOT stamp on the inside of the rim, which is usually left there after modifying the rims into beadlocks. BTW, there has been a running reward on Pirate for a long time for anyone who can prove that beadlocks are in fact illegal by any state law, and it still hasn't been claimed.

And I have the Humvee ones on my jeep, you can get them custom done with new centers to your specifications on backspacing and bolt pattern by companies like USA 6x6, Stazworks, and a guy on Pirate by the name 66CJDean. The rims themselves can be had with the runflats off of ebay and other places for between 200-500. I got mine all cleaned up and painted (although lightly used) for 350 with the runflats (w/o the runflats you dont have a beadlock). There is one other company that makes them, they are an aluminum rim and they are in Quadratec, and they are DOT approved. Of course there are always the premade ones that arent DOT approved like Walked Evans, Allied, and one other which I can't think of right off the top of my head. The downside to convential outer lock ring style beadlocks (not dual beadlocks like the HUmvee which use an inner ring) is that they clamp less area of the bead than is originally seated by the convential method of putting on a tire, but they are clamped in place and not just held there by air. This smaller contact area on convential beadlocks can allow air to seep air out quicker than on a normal rim. The other thing that is noticeable with some conventional outer lock ring beadlocks is that the outer ring will "cone" over time. Meaning it will pull in in the center, and push out on the outside, it's just the metal fatiquing but some companies have started putting anti-coning rings on their outer rings to prevent them from twisting inward over time.

This is a diagram of a beadlock on an aluminum rim but its the same concept, the outer bead of the tire gets clamped on the outside of the rim rather than going into the rim
beadlock-3.gif

This is how the Humvee and other dual beadlocks work,
2PieceBeadlock-3.gif

Why one is DOT approved and the other not? Because the military took the time to ge thiers done and other companies dont want to take the time do so. Thats my best explanation.

There are probably very few police officers out there who know what beadlocks are for, and the ones who know probably know for the same reason we do and would more than likely never stop you for one. And sorry for the overly long post, I started rambling.

Last edited:

don't worry bout hte post, thats actually a very good explanation, and thanks to all for the info...

Speaking from experience, very few if any police officers are going to know beadlocks aren't DOT approved. There is no law on the books of this state, that I'm aware of, stating beadlocks are illegal. Best I could do is issue a general citation like 'use of unsafe equipment' and be prepared to state my case in court (unlikely scenario). Of course this unlikely scenario would be more common after a crash where tire failure was a suspected cause.

That diagram of the hummer wheel leads you to believe the rubber run flat will just fall right in there. Actually, I have heard they are a beeyotch to install. There is actually a widely used installation tool that looks similar to a hand winch from a boat trailer.
BTW..the aluminum hummer style wheel is made by the same MFG that makes the steel ones for the Army. As far as I know they are still the only DOT approved beadlocks.

Actually all of the vehicle has to pass a D.O.T. inspection, that includes the tires and rims.
The reason Beadlocks are not Federally (D.O.T.) approved is because the locking bolts can come loose and the tire can fail at high speeds. Thus DOT cant approve bead lockers.(its our governments opinion that people are not smart enough to maintain beadlockers.)
There is no state or federal mandate inside the US that says you cant run them but since you as an owner modifies the vehicle you assume all liability if they fail.

The Only TWO dot approved beadlocker systems are Henderson wheels of New York (Split center section and hard rubber inner piece)

Oasis inner beadlocker (an inflatable inner tube that holds the tire beads to the rim)

I'd go with that oasis setup if I had the $$, holds both beads securely.

Back